RE: [SCA Newcomers] Ready to wear

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
      From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of peneth4
      Sent: Wednesday, 11 November 2009 10:04 PM
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Ready to wear

      Greetings dearest Elizabeth

      I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the
      Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some
      garb made.

      As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm
      actually after several outfits.

      I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who
      saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . .
      getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really
      am THAT BAD at sewing.

      Thank you
      Lady Merwyn aka Penny

      ----------------------------------

      Don't discount the possibility that you might get better at sewing with
      practice (and a teacher, it makes a big difference to have somebody beside
      you who can show you what to do rather than trying to muddle through by
      yourself). A lot of people come into the SCA without ever having touched a
      sewing machine and learn as they go. However if making clothing really
      doesn't appeal to you that's OK paying or bartering for skills you don't
      have is common in the SCA.
      If you're sure you don't want to make your own clothes I would definitely
      opt for somebody local where you can see things in person and the person
      making the garment can also take your measurements to make sure you get a
      the best fit possible.
      Elizabeth
    • Judith Epstein
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009

        Barter, barter, barter. There's someone out there who loves to sew,
        but hates to cook. Bring food for them to your events, and trade the
        skills. There's someone out there who wants feast gear; if you've got
        extra feast gear, or if you know how to make your own, arrange a
        trade. If you can learn a very few of the most basic embroidery
        methods, trade that for sewing -- it's gorgeous, takes up a lot of
        time, and isn't too demanding skill-wise (well, anyway, cross-stitch
        doesn't take much skill, though it does require patience). It's
        tedious work, and some seamsters won't want to spend their time
        decorating when they could spend it making more garments. Watch their
        kids, shovel their snow. Everyone has SOMETHING they'd rather get
        someone else to do. :)

        If you ever think you might like to learn to sew in order to save
        yourself some money in the garb department, read on. I'm sort of in
        the same boat, but I bit the bullet and bought a sewing machine. Now I
        HAVE to learn to use it! Fortunately there's a very patient friend I
        have, who's willing to spend Sundays at my place, showing me how to
        lay out and cut out patterns, pin things correctly, cut correctly, and
        put them together correctly. Also, when I bought the machine, I
        learned that I could get as many free lessons as I want in how to use
        it. They won't teach me to sew, but they'll teach me what all the
        buttons and knobs do, how to thread the machine, how to load a
        bobbin... it's really, really little nitpicky stuff that's important,
        but that you'd never really think to do yourself. Instruction books
        are great, but there's just no substitute for a human teacher. Call
        around the local sewing/fabric stores and see if any of them offer
        similar instruction in the use of the machines they sell.

        Judith / no SCA name yet
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
          No, no no, Lady Merwyn, don't give up on learning how to sew yet!

          I took [well, was forced to take...] a nine-weeks' class in sewing in the public school system in the USA, got a "D" [really, really bad grade], and was 'written off' as a future sewer by both the teacher and my mother.  That was when I was 13 years old.  When I turned 18, my mother took one look at me, realized she had a 'clothes horse' [someone who wears clothes well and WANTS LOTS OF THEM!!] on her hands...

          So what did she do?  Our previous, annual 'shopping trips' for my school clothes had always turned into shopping trips FOR HER, so the only contribution she made to my clothing expenses was to buy me a cheap sewing machine...

          Now, some 30-40 years later, that little 13-year-old who nearly FLUNKED sewing in school has won TWO AWARDS from the International Costumers' Association; at their 2005 convention, for my "Eternal Infernal Elizabethan" gown.  Not totally authentic in period (I used a serger on some of the interior seams), but close enough to pass polite inspection, provided the Laurel doesn't become too personal/intrusive...

          So, please don't give up on your sewing skills.  You probably just need to find someone who'll take the time to educate you in the proper techniques for fitting, as well as sewing.

          Besides, it's much cheaper, as well as [ultimately] more fulfilling...  Ziddina

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
            I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the
            Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some
            garb made.

            As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm
            actually after several outfits.

            I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who
            saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . .
            getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really
            am THAT BAD at sewing.

            Thank you
            Lady Merwyn aka Penny

            ----------------------------------

            Don't discount the possibility that you might get better at sewing with
            practice and a teacher (practical skills like sewing are much easier to
            learn if you have somebody with you who can show you exactly what to do
            rather than trying to muddle through alone). A lot of people come into the
            SCA without ever having touched a sewing machine and learn as they go.
            However if making clothing really doesn't appeal to you that's OK, you don't
            need to persist in doing something you really don't like.
            If you really want to buy your clothing readymade I would suggest contacting
            Contarina as you're likely to get a better result when the person making the
            garment can see you and you can see the garment or fabric in person (a
            friend swore off mail ordering clothing when she bought a dress in a colour
            she thought she liked but made her look horrible when it was against her
            skin)