Ready to wear

  • peneth4
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
      Hi (again)

      OK, knowing just how little I do about sewing I am now ready to give in and buy a dress ready to wear.

      I live in Australia but am willing to buy from overseas but am weary of doing so without advice as I see costumes made of Satin or stretch velvet and with gold trim etc.

      Many thanks
      Lady Merwyn aka Penny
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
        Lady Merwyn wrote:
        > . . .I am now ready to give in and buy a dress ready to wear.
        >
        > I live in Australia but am willing to buy from overseas. . .

        Historic Enterprises is an excellent source <http://
        www.historicenterprises.com/>. They give details on the bases for
        all of their designs on the site, so you can determine whether they
        meet your personal standards for authenticity before you buy.
        They're very responsive to questions. And they ship quickly and
        offer good customer service. If your pockets aren't quite deep
        enough to cover their clothing, you can still use their site as a
        "gold standard" against which to measure others you visit. (Notice,
        for instance, how they say, "13th century" instead of "medieval", how
        they tell you, right up front, what fibers are in their fabrics, and
        how they follow "several surviving garments" with a list, instead of
        expecting you to just take their word for it that something like what
        they've made existed in period.)

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 9, 2009
          --- On Mon, 9/11/09, peneth4 <peneth4@...> wrote:
          Hi (again)

          OK, knowing just how little I do about sewing I am now ready to give in and buy a dress ready to wear.

          I live in Australia but am willing to buy from overseas but am weary of
          doing so without advice as I see costumes made of Satin or stretch
          velvet and with gold trim etc.

          Many thanks

          Lady Merwyn aka Penny

          REPLY

          Unto the most noble
          Lady Merwyn,
           greetings from Drachenwald unto Lochac.

          Gentle lady,
          In addition to Historic Enterprises, [ who give excellent service, I tell you as a very satisfied past customer] recommended by the noble Coblaith Muimnech  - this humble scribe would also recommend
          Medieval Design {Italy] -
          www.medievaldesign.com/ english.asp
          [Luciano also gives excellent service.  I have bought goods of him for my dear Lady Alys; and, time past,  he has e'en undertaken special commissions twain from me to create gifts for her Name Dayes. And e'en these did not cost me deep in my purse!]
          and Matuls  -
          http://matuls.pl/index.php?IDP=1&Lng=1&IDKategoria=26
           - to the list of Merchants where you may purchase, - with confidence, - readymade
          medieval-period garb [and other equipment] tof a high level of historicity, at prices that hopefully will not too-much-deplete your coffers.

          In Service to the medieval Dream, and to Drachenwald,'
          Lord Matthewe Baker, ODB,
          Hospitaller for West Dragonshire of Insulae Draconis, Drachenwald.

        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2009
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
              Greetings dearest Elizabeth

              I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some garb made.

              As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm actually after several outfits.

              I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . . getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really am THAT BAD at sewing.

              Thank you
              Lady Merwyn aka Penny

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
                I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the
                Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some
                garb made.

                As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm
                actually after several outfits.

                I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who
                saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . .
                getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really
                am THAT BAD at sewing.

                Thank you
                Lady Merwyn aka Penny

                ----------------------------------

                Don't discount the possibility that you might get better at sewing with
                practice (and a teacher, it makes a big difference to have somebody beside
                you who can show you what to do rather than trying to muddle through by
                yourself). A lot of people come into the SCA without ever having touched a
                sewing machine and learn as they go. However if making clothing really
                doesn't appeal to you that's OK paying or bartering for skills you don't
                have is common in the SCA.
                If you're sure you don't want to make your own clothes I would definitely
                opt for somebody local where you can see things in person and the person
                making the garment can also take your measurements to make sure you get a
                the best fit possible.
                Elizabeth
              • Judith Epstein
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009

                  Barter, barter, barter. There's someone out there who loves to sew,
                  but hates to cook. Bring food for them to your events, and trade the
                  skills. There's someone out there who wants feast gear; if you've got
                  extra feast gear, or if you know how to make your own, arrange a
                  trade. If you can learn a very few of the most basic embroidery
                  methods, trade that for sewing -- it's gorgeous, takes up a lot of
                  time, and isn't too demanding skill-wise (well, anyway, cross-stitch
                  doesn't take much skill, though it does require patience). It's
                  tedious work, and some seamsters won't want to spend their time
                  decorating when they could spend it making more garments. Watch their
                  kids, shovel their snow. Everyone has SOMETHING they'd rather get
                  someone else to do. :)

                  If you ever think you might like to learn to sew in order to save
                  yourself some money in the garb department, read on. I'm sort of in
                  the same boat, but I bit the bullet and bought a sewing machine. Now I
                  HAVE to learn to use it! Fortunately there's a very patient friend I
                  have, who's willing to spend Sundays at my place, showing me how to
                  lay out and cut out patterns, pin things correctly, cut correctly, and
                  put them together correctly. Also, when I bought the machine, I
                  learned that I could get as many free lessons as I want in how to use
                  it. They won't teach me to sew, but they'll teach me what all the
                  buttons and knobs do, how to thread the machine, how to load a
                  bobbin... it's really, really little nitpicky stuff that's important,
                  but that you'd never really think to do yourself. Instruction books
                  are great, but there's just no substitute for a human teacher. Call
                  around the local sewing/fabric stores and see if any of them offer
                  similar instruction in the use of the machines they sell.

                  Judith / no SCA name yet
                  Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2009
                    No, no no, Lady Merwyn, don't give up on learning how to sew yet!

                    I took [well, was forced to take...] a nine-weeks' class in sewing in the public school system in the USA, got a "D" [really, really bad grade], and was 'written off' as a future sewer by both the teacher and my mother.  That was when I was 13 years old.  When I turned 18, my mother took one look at me, realized she had a 'clothes horse' [someone who wears clothes well and WANTS LOTS OF THEM!!] on her hands...

                    So what did she do?  Our previous, annual 'shopping trips' for my school clothes had always turned into shopping trips FOR HER, so the only contribution she made to my clothing expenses was to buy me a cheap sewing machine...

                    Now, some 30-40 years later, that little 13-year-old who nearly FLUNKED sewing in school has won TWO AWARDS from the International Costumers' Association; at their 2005 convention, for my "Eternal Infernal Elizabethan" gown.  Not totally authentic in period (I used a serger on some of the interior seams), but close enough to pass polite inspection, provided the Laurel doesn't become too personal/intrusive...

                    So, please don't give up on your sewing skills.  You probably just need to find someone who'll take the time to educate you in the proper techniques for fitting, as well as sewing.

                    Besides, it's much cheaper, as well as [ultimately] more fulfilling...  Ziddina

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 12, 2009
                      I thank you for your kind reply. I have had the pleasure of meeting the
                      Baronesse Contarina and spoke to her about the possibility of getting some
                      garb made.

                      As I have attended a few events already and will be attending many more I'm
                      actually after several outfits.

                      I appreciate your information on possible sewing options but as anyone who
                      saw my first (and only) attempt at making a basic tunic would say . . .
                      getting someone else to make my garb is a good idea. Seriously, I really
                      am THAT BAD at sewing.

                      Thank you
                      Lady Merwyn aka Penny

                      ----------------------------------

                      Don't discount the possibility that you might get better at sewing with
                      practice and a teacher (practical skills like sewing are much easier to
                      learn if you have somebody with you who can show you exactly what to do
                      rather than trying to muddle through alone). A lot of people come into the
                      SCA without ever having touched a sewing machine and learn as they go.
                      However if making clothing really doesn't appeal to you that's OK, you don't
                      need to persist in doing something you really don't like.
                      If you really want to buy your clothing readymade I would suggest contacting
                      Contarina as you're likely to get a better result when the person making the
                      garment can see you and you can see the garment or fabric in person (a
                      friend swore off mail ordering clothing when she bought a dress in a colour
                      she thought she liked but made her look horrible when it was against her
                      skin)