Re: [SCA Newcomers] Colors...

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2009
      <<-----Original Message-----
      From: Ziddinaaitzumar@...
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, Nov 7, 2009 7:41 pm
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Colors...

      Hmm. What an interesting question. I assume that the 'white' of linen would have actually been an undyed, unbleached (although I seem to recall that the Europeans used milk, among other bleaching agents, if I remember some conversations between dyers...??) tone - not an actual 'white' as we know it today...

      Having said that, I suspect that the chemises weren't always 'white' or off-white. White was a 'status' color, though, so for most 'status' outfits, an off-white chemise would probably be a pretty good bet. I am SO tempted to use other colors for chemises, however... >>

      I have been told, although I have not tried it, that linen can bleached simply by washing it and laying it on the grass in the sun to dry. If that is in fact the case, virtually anyone could have access to white linen. The fact of one's linen being white as a status symbol also refers to the fact that the owner had either enough chemises to always have a clean one available, or had the opportunity/servants to launder said chemises.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 8, 2009
        Matthewe Bake wrote:
        > I've just got my hands on Lists of Materials supplied by the
        > English "Great Wardrobe" in the first year of King Henry VII's
        > reign - Aug,1485 to Aug 1486.
        > The Wardrobe supplied linen for shirts and for lining other
        > garments.. . .the most of the linen noted in these period
        > manuscripts is obviously from Flanders - being named as "holand, or
        > flemsysch, or braban" - with differing prices per ell, which make
        > it clear that thwe names refer to different qualities of linen cloth.

        It's not necessarily linen from the Low Countries. It might be linen
        sent to the Low Countries for finishing and then returned to England,
        or linen finished in the British Isles using processes associated
        with the Low Countries <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?
        compid=58793> <http://books.google.com/books?id=Z8soAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA241>.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 11, 2009
          Ziddina (me) wrote:  "not an actual 'white' as we know it today..."

          Coblaith replied:  "Not "optic white", which indicates a white fabric that has reflective particles imbedded in it to make it essentially glow when exposed to light (that "whiter than white" the Clorox corporation promises its customers)..."

          Uoops.  That "dayglow" white is what I think of as 'modern' white...  Didn't realize that a good 'white' could be achieved in 'period'; always assumed that 'period' white was more of a 'cream' or 'winter' white - off-white, in other words...

          Colblaith wrote:  "It is almost without exception the color of all types of underwear seen in European manuscripts produced in the S.C.A's core period, whether the individuals represented are kings or beggars. It is also the color of all the surviving medieval and Renaissance shirts and shifts of which I've seen photos or read descriptions."

          RATS!  I like colors, and really wanted to get into 'colored' chemises/shifts...  I see the logic of your points, though, as you stated:  "1) White fabric is comparatively easy to clean. You can soak it, boil it, and expose it to harsh cleaners without worrying about dyes that might run, shift, or fade."

          and "2) Compared to coloring wool or silk (Europe's other mainstay fabrics in period), coloring linen as it was colored in period is *hard*. It just doesn't make much sense to go to the extra trouble and expense necessary to do it if you're only going to cover it up. Coloring outer layers made of a more easily dyed fiber gives you a much, much bigger bang for your buck."

          Ziddina (me) said:  "Would a pale gray, pale beige, pale blue/blue-gray color fit into earlier 'period' garb for, say, European, North African, or Middle Eastern garb???"

          Oh, I wish, I wish, I wish...

          Coblaith replied:  "All those colors seem plausible for some types of garments worn in some of those places at some times during the S.C.A's period of interest. If you narrow the question down to a particular garment
          worn in a specific time, place, and culture, someone here may be able to help you find a good answer to it. But at the moment, it's too vague to elicit one."

          Which means I ought to start cracking those books again...
          Ziddina

          > I assume that the 'white' of linen would have actually been an
          > undyed, unbleached (although I seem to recall that the Europeans
          > used milk, among other bleaching agents, if I remember some
          > conversations between dyers...??) tone - not an actual 'white' as
          > we know it today...

          No; "white" means 'white'. Not "optic white", which indicates a
          white fabric that has reflective particles imbedded in it to make it
          essentially glow when exposed to light (that "whiter than white" the
          Clorox corporation promises its customers), but plain old everyday
          white. It is almost without exception the color of all types of
          underwear seen in European manuscripts produced in the S.C.A's core
          period, whether the individuals represented are kings or beggars. It
          is also the color of all the surviving medieval and Renaissance
          shirts and shifts of which I've seen photos or read descriptions.

          Linen can be whitened in a number of ways without chemicals that
          weren't available before 1600. The most widely used is the simple
          exposure of damp linen to direct sunlight. In period there were
          designated communal bleaching greens in many villages, and large
          estates often had their own. They were used not only to whiten new
          fabric but to restore the whiteness of linen goods that had yellowed
          or to keep white linen white. (David Teniers the Younger's
          "Bleaching Ground" < http://www.abcgallery.com/T/teniers/
          teniers6.html>, painted about 45 years after the end of the S.C.A's
          period, shows a village bleaching green in action.) There were also
          professionals who used large bleaching greens, often in conjunction
          with various treatments that enhanced the effects of field-bleaching,
          to whiten quantities of new linen that were then passed on to
          clothiers and fabric-mongers. (There's an account of some techniques
          used in 16th-century Germany on page 131 of _The Workplace before the
          Factory_, as part of Thomas Max Safley's "Production, Transaction,
          and Proletarianization: The Textile Industry in Upper Swabia,
          1580-1660" < http://books.google.com/books?id=m-
          YDD2_ykGsC&pg=PA131>.) If I had to guess, I'd say those who could
          afford to bought professionally whitened fabric and used their local
          bleaching greens to maintain it, rather than starting with "brown
          linen" and bleaching their own. The latter process isn't
          particularly difficult, but it is slow and requires a fair amount of
          attention.

          > I suspect that the chemises weren't always 'white' or off-white.
          > White was a 'status' color, though, so for most 'status' outfits,
          > an off-white chemise would probably be a pretty good bet. I am SO
          > tempted to use other colors for chemises, however...

          I'm not clear on what basis you declare, "White was a 'status'
          color. . .," or to which culture and period you're referring when you
          do.

          In addition to the representational and archaeological evidence that
          underclothes were pretty much universally white across Europe between
          600 and 1600, there are a couple of obvious logical reasons they
          would've been.

          1) White fabric is comparatively easy to clean. You can soak it,
          boil it, and expose it to harsh cleaners without worrying about dyes
          that might run, shift, or fade. And you can just re-bleach it if you
          find you've got uneven shades resulting from intensive stain-removal
          treatments. So for garments you're going to sweat on and maybe spot
          with other bodily excretions, white's a smart choice.

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 11, 2009
            Thank you!  Good information!
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 11, 2009
              Thank you, I'll check out that link.  And as always, I'd better bug my local libraries to import more books not available in my area...  Ziddina
              > Does anyone out there have info on. . .cotton, and the possibility
              > that it was available to Europeans - probably in later period???

              There's a good article on the European adoption of what we now call
              cotton from The Costume Dabbler < http://des.kyhm.com/cotton >. It
              includes a bibliography useful for those who want more in-depth
              information.

              Coblaith Muimnech
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto: Coblaith@... >
              < http://coblaith.net >

            • Callahan Patrick
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 11, 2009
                I Have Colored Coifs That I Had Made For Me And Wear Out In
                Public Although On Further Research The Overwhelming Preponderance Of  The Evidence Shows That Coifs Were Almost Universally
                Constructed Of White Or Undyed Materials And The Fashion   Police
                Have Not Arrested Me Though There May Be A Warrant Out For My Fashion Arrest
                That I Don’t Know About So Some People Do Wear Under Garment Type Pieces That
                Are Not White Occasionally At SCA Event For Reasons Of Personal Style Or Convenience
                Just Know If You Choose To Do So That You Are Not Going To Be One-Hundred
                Percent Correct If That Important To You

                LOST  AND CONFUSED

                Padhraig O' Cellachain

              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 12, 2009
                  Colours of "under" clothing in late-1485 - and early 1486, -
                   Gentles all,
                   you may be interested to know that, in the English Wardrobe  & Exchequer Accounts listing cloth purchased - and clothing made-up - for the first 3 "big events" of King Henry VII's Reign, i.e. - the triumphant March from Leicester to London & First Parliament, The Coronation [9 weeks after Bosworth], and the later Coronation of Queen Elizabeth, -  that coloured silks are noted to have been purchased and tailored-up for shirts and coifs - not only for the King's Grace, but also for some of the Lords of His Train,  and one or two of the closest and highest Esquires & Servants of His Affinity.

                  In Service to the medieval Dream,
                   Lord Matthewe Baker, ODB,
                   Drachenwald.