back problems/disabilities

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
      Shellie said:
      <<< I am applying for disability because of my back problems so
      hopfully that will go threw soon. >>>

      This is a problem that is beginning to influence the SCA more and
      more. At one time most of the SCA folks were college age students, but
      as time has gone on, more and more folks of all ages joined the SCA
      and many of those who joined as college age students stayed in the SCA
      even after graduating. So, on the whole, the average age of the folks
      in the SCA is increasing and there are more and more of us who are
      facing the accumulations of wear and tear of age and perhaps things
      like hitting each other with wooden sticks.

      Anyway, here is a file in the DISABILITIES section of the Florilegium
      which might be of interest:
      disabilities-msg (104K) 9/ 7/09 Disabilities in the SCA and period,
      hiding
      wheelchairs, SCA sign language.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DISABILITIES/disabilities-msg.html

      Stefan
      "Some people's idea of camping involves a backpack. My idea of camping
      involves a U-Haul truck" And a four-poster bed, not a sleeping bag on
      the ground.
      --------
    • Mouse
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
        I will check that out tonight I am only 31 and have problems with my back. Most of it is due to falling on the ice in Ohio for so long and the many work related accidents I had. I have thought about getting a cane for the which ever year range I do choose for now I am thinking of doing Scottish/Irish but on the main Scottish. I love the ones with swords in them so I will probably have to find something in the era that will work with the persona. Thank you for the information.

        Shellie

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
          <<I have thought about getting a cane for the which ever year range I do choose for now I am thinking of doing Scottish/Irish but on the main Scottish. I love the ones with swords in them so I will probably have to find something in the era that will work with the persona. Thank you for the information.>>

          I doubt that sword canes are period for any part of the Middle Ages - I think they are a Victorian thing. Normal canes, even if they were only appropriately shaped branches, certainly existed, as did crutches, although not of the design that we are familiar with. On a more practical note, thoroughly check the laws regarding sword canes in your area. They are often considered as concealed weapons and may not be legal for you to own. I know they are not legal here in Pennsylvania.

          Lancaster, PA

        • Mouse
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
            I know what you mean. I am not sure about in Oregon but I know that in Ohio they are considered concieled weapons. I do a few other things that I was going to get it for though. I just forgot to put that in there. But I am looking for some stuff that would work unless I have my pain meds then I won't have to worry about it. :-)

            Shellie

            <<I have thought about getting a cane for the which ever year range I do choose for now I am thinking of doing Scottish/Irish but on the main Scottish. I love the ones with swords in them so I will probably have to find something in the era that will work with the persona. Thank you for the information.>>

            I doubt that sword canes are period for any part of the Middle Ages - I think they are a Victorian thing. Normal canes, even if they were only appropriately shaped branches, certainly existed, as did crutches, although not of the design that we are familiar with. On a more practical note, thoroughly check the laws regarding sword canes in your area. They are often considered as concealed weapons and may not be legal for you to own. I know they are not legal here in Pennsylvania.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Judith Epstein
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
              On 4 Nov 2009, at 1:46 PM, Mouse wrote:

              > I know what you mean. I am not sure about in Oregon but I know that
              > in Ohio they are considered concieled weapons. I do a few other
              > things that I was going to get it for though. I just forgot to put
              > that in there. But I am looking for some stuff that would work
              > unless I have my pain meds then I won't have to worry about it. :-)
              >
              > Shellie

              In Oregon, a regular sword in a regular sheath is considered a
              concealed weapon when worn openly. Since the purpose of a sheath is to
              protect a blade, and neither the purpose nor the effect is to conceal
              the fact that one is carrying a weapon, how much more "concealed" is a
              sword hidden in a cane which was expressly created to conceal the fact
              that one is carrying a weapon!

              Judith / no SCA name yet
              Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
            • Mouse
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
                wow that is a tongue twister. that is kind of messed up that a sword can be considered a consealed weapon while in a sheath but out in the open.