Re: Scottish/Irish Persona

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
      Shellie said:

      <<< I am going to try to do a Scottish Irish persona for when I start
      going out and attending some of the events with my cousin and her
      boyfriend. I am not sure exactly where to start out because I know I
      can look up online for different pictures and stuff. I just don't know
      how to get started. I have a very low budget at the moment. I am going
      to try to attend school here in OR on Jewelry making. I have a basic
      knowlege of it but want to expand so I can make some period peices. I
      also do book binding, sewing, beadwork, machine and hand embroidery,
      and a few other things that catch my interest. >>>

      Shellie, you might want to look at these Florilegium files on Scottish/
      Irish stuff.

      (My apologies for those on the list who've already seen my previous
      message(s) on this)

      In the CULTURES section:
      Ireland-lnks (20K) 12/25/03 Web links to medieval Ireland
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      Ireland-msg (68K) 3/ 6/08 Irish culture, dress. Points of
      interest.
      Scotland-lnks (20K) 10/12/03 Web links to medieval Scotland
      by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
      Scotland-msg (63K) 4/16/05 Scottish culture. Who lived where.
      Medieval
      points of interest. The Orkney
      Islands.

      In the CLOTHING section:
      cl-Scot-fem-art (14K) 7/ 2/96 Scottish women's clothing.
      cl-Scotland-msg (114K) 10/31/01 Clothing of Scotland. folding of
      kilts.

      I don't have my jewelry files separated by culture, but in the
      ACCESSORIES section:
      ear-rings-msg (8K) 7/12/02 Medieval ear rings. Men's and
      women's.
      finger-rings-lnks (10K) 12/18/04 Links to information on medieval
      finger
      rings by Dame Aoife Finn of
      Ynos Mon.
      finger-rings-msg (23K) 7/10/02 Medieval finger rings.
      gem-sources-msg (16K) 9/26/08 Sources for real and artificial
      gemstones.
      jewelry-msg (78K) 1/17/08 Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.

      In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
      beadwork-msg (36K) 9/ 6/09 Beadwork on clothing. Bead types,
      sources.
      embroidery-msg (100K) 1/26/08 Period and SCA embroidery.
      sewing-msg (80K) 4/ 8/08 Sewing ideas and stitches.
      sewing-tables-msg (7K) 3/30/00 Ideas and comments on sewing tables.
      sewing-tools-msg (70K) 1/19/08 Medieval sewing tools, needles,
      thimbles.
      sewng-machnes-msg (31K) 6/17/05 Comments on sewing machines for
      SCA use.

      Shellie, it sounds like you already have some useful skills. Many
      items and skills are bartered in the SCA, so you may be able to
      overcome your low budget by trading skills and time for items.

      I hope this gives you some things to start with.

      Stefan
      --------
    • Mouse
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
        Thank you for all the information I will check them out probably tonight I don't want to be on the computer all day at the moment. I am living with relatives and the computers are all in one room at the moment. As soon as I get some more money coming in I will move the comptuer in to the other room so I can chat and do my emails in private at the moment I feel like I have a look out over my sholder. I will prbably do both the Irish and Scottish and switch out once in a while. I am one for variety but if I have to choose one it will probably be the Scottish. I will be starting taking a class soon on gaelic I just hope that I will have a ride to the classes. My cousin told me about it and hopefuly she will take me there until I can get a ride of my own. I am applying for disability because of my back problems so hopfully that will go threw soon.

        thank you
        Shellie