Scottish/Irish Persona

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 30, 2009
      I am going to try to do a Scottish Irish persona for when I start going out and attending some of the events with my cousin and her boyfriend. I am not sure exactly where to start out because I know I can look up online for different pictures and stuff. I just don't know how to get started. I have a very low budget at the moment. I am going to try to attend school here in OR on Jewelry making. I have a basic knowlege of it but want to expand so I can make some period peices. I also do book binding, sewing, beadwork, machine and hand embroidery, and a few other things that catch my interest.

      Thank you
      Shellie
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2009
        Shellie wrote:
        > I am going to try to do a Scottish Irish persona. . .I just don't
        > know how to get started.

        The first step would be to pick a culture and an era. At various
        points in the millennium or so that constitutes the S.C.A's core
        period, both Ireland and Scotland were home to significant Gaelic and
        Norse populations, smaller but politically influential English
        communities, and a variety of less prominent groups. And, of course,
        every detail of daily life--from the languages spoken to the clothes
        worn, the food eaten, and the games played--changed from one century
        to another.

        Two issues you might want to consider as you make your choice are the
        clothing you'll be donning and the name to which you'll be answering
        once you've settled on a persona. You'll want to be comfortable
        wearing both.

        There are two good printed sources on the history of Irish clothing:

        _Dress in Ireland: A History_, by Mairead Dunlevy, is widely
        available. You should be able to find it through Inter-Library Loan
        (in the States, at least) as well as through any number of on- and
        off-line vendors. The author has webbed a brief article on the
        history of clothing in county Clare <http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/
        coclare/history/costume.htm> that you might find somewhat useful.

        _Old Irish and Highland Dress, with Notes on That of the Isle of
        Man_, by H.F. McClintock, is an older book, long out of print, which
        is difficult to find in hard copy anywhere. It is available in a PDF
        facsimile edition from Unicorn Limited <http://www.scotpress.com/
        catalog/product_info.php?products_id=93>.

        Finnacan Dub's "Early Gaelic Dress: An Introduction" <http://
        coblaith.net/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html> is the best online
        resource on early-period Irish and Scottish Gaelic clothes of which
        I'm aware.

        Medieval Scotland's Scottish Clothing Resources <http://
        www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/> include good overviews of what's
        known about the topic.

        Reconstructing History's website includes a number of articles on
        later-period clothing from Ireland <https://
        www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y> and
        Scotland <https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?
        c=8&d=117&w=3&r=Y>.

        When it comes to names, first read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints
        for Newcomers" <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>.
        Then visit the Medieval Names Archive's guide to Irish and Manx
        <http://s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml> and Scottish names <http://s-
        gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml> to get a better look at your options.

        You might also want to consult a good overview of the history of the
        two countries if you think you'll want to get into complex persona
        play. (Some people really enjoy writing back-stories for themselves,
        imagining how their personae would react to "current" events, etc.
        If you're one of them, you'll want to pick a period in which things
        you find interesting were happening.) Ireland's History in Maps
        <http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/> is a good site.
        Medieval Scotland <http://www.medievalscotland.org/> hosts a few
        historic articles and links to other reliable sites.

        Welcome to the Society, and don't hesitate to write the list with any
        questions you might have as you go along,. We'll be happy to help.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • Stefan li Rous
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 31, 2009
          Shellie said:

          <<< I am going to try to do a Scottish Irish persona for when I start
          going out and attending some of the events with my cousin and her
          boyfriend. I am not sure exactly where to start out because I know I
          can look up online for different pictures and stuff. I just don't know
          how to get started. I have a very low budget at the moment. I am going
          to try to attend school here in OR on Jewelry making. I have a basic
          knowlege of it but want to expand so I can make some period peices. I
          also do book binding, sewing, beadwork, machine and hand embroidery,
          and a few other things that catch my interest. >>>

          Shellie, you might want to look at these Florilegium files on Scottish/
          Irish stuff.

          (My apologies for those on the list who've already seen my previous
          message(s) on this)

          In the CULTURES section:
          Ireland-lnks (20K) 12/25/03 Web links to medieval Ireland
          by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
          Ireland-msg (68K) 3/ 6/08 Irish culture, dress. Points of
          interest.
          Scotland-lnks (20K) 10/12/03 Web links to medieval Scotland
          by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
          Scotland-msg (63K) 4/16/05 Scottish culture. Who lived where.
          Medieval
          points of interest. The Orkney
          Islands.

          In the CLOTHING section:
          cl-Scot-fem-art (14K) 7/ 2/96 Scottish women's clothing.
          cl-Scotland-msg (114K) 10/31/01 Clothing of Scotland. folding of
          kilts.

          I don't have my jewelry files separated by culture, but in the
          ACCESSORIES section:
          ear-rings-msg (8K) 7/12/02 Medieval ear rings. Men's and
          women's.
          finger-rings-lnks (10K) 12/18/04 Links to information on medieval
          finger
          rings by Dame Aoife Finn of
          Ynos Mon.
          finger-rings-msg (23K) 7/10/02 Medieval finger rings.
          gem-sources-msg (16K) 9/26/08 Sources for real and artificial
          gemstones.
          jewelry-msg (78K) 1/17/08 Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.

          In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
          beadwork-msg (36K) 9/ 6/09 Beadwork on clothing. Bead types,
          sources.
          embroidery-msg (100K) 1/26/08 Period and SCA embroidery.
          sewing-msg (80K) 4/ 8/08 Sewing ideas and stitches.
          sewing-tables-msg (7K) 3/30/00 Ideas and comments on sewing tables.
          sewing-tools-msg (70K) 1/19/08 Medieval sewing tools, needles,
          thimbles.
          sewng-machnes-msg (31K) 6/17/05 Comments on sewing machines for
          SCA use.

          Shellie, it sounds like you already have some useful skills. Many
          items and skills are bartered in the SCA, so you may be able to
          overcome your low budget by trading skills and time for items.

          I hope this gives you some things to start with.

          Stefan
          --------
        • Mouse
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
            Thank you for all the information I will check them out probably tonight I don't want to be on the computer all day at the moment. I am living with relatives and the computers are all in one room at the moment. As soon as I get some more money coming in I will move the comptuer in to the other room so I can chat and do my emails in private at the moment I feel like I have a look out over my sholder. I will prbably do both the Irish and Scottish and switch out once in a while. I am one for variety but if I have to choose one it will probably be the Scottish. I will be starting taking a class soon on gaelic I just hope that I will have a ride to the classes. My cousin told me about it and hopefuly she will take me there until I can get a ride of my own. I am applying for disability because of my back problems so hopfully that will go threw soon.

            thank you
            Shellie