Re: [SCA Newcomers] Celtic French Personna?

  • l_marks@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2009
      In reality too, remember that a very large portion of the population of the world was illiterate. Names were (and are today) mostly passed on verbally and many times are written incorrectly from how the owner spells them. If a person says they are named 'Argee' (pronounced only), persons may assume they heard incorrectly and that they name is Archie, whereas in truth they were giving initials R.G. In researching my own ancestry only into the 1500's names were very often recorded from what someone _else_ said. Names being passed verbally will used the pronunciation of the local dialect. So if your persona's name was of a odd sound to the locals, they would likely pronounce it in a local way, and if it were passed on to you through another it may be significantly different from that your mother gave. That could be part of a persona as well, not knowing ones parents.

      Hope this helps.
      Larry