Re: new to group and SCA

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
      Shellie said:
      <<< Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I
      looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area
      so she is showing me around :-) >>>

      Greetings Shellie,

      Welcome to the SCA!

      I'm not sure what you mean by "some groups". If you mean some mail
      lists or newsgroups, that is only a small part of the SCA. Want you
      really want to do is find out where the local groups are around you
      and find one or more of those you'd like to participate with. Nothing
      says you have to belong to only a single local group, although folks
      usually play with the one closest to them. If your closest group is
      into armored combat, and you are more into rapier combat or Arts and
      Sciences then another group where the people do more of the latter,
      might be more to your enjoyment.

      In Oregon you are in the Kingdom of An Tir. If you go to the main SCA
      site, www.sca.org, I believe they have a listing of or a program for
      finding out the groups closest to you.

      I run a website called Stefan's Florilegium. It has a large number of
      files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. You might want
      to start out looking at the NEWCOMERS section there, to find out more
      about the SCA. The address can be found in my signature below.

      Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or ask them here on
      this list.

      Stefan
      PS: I was going to send this by email to Shellie, but decided some
      here might also be interested. I hope the ongoing mentions of the
      Florilegium here aren't getting people annoyed.
      --------