Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Norse books

  • jessg74@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2009
      Thanks Steffan. Great references. I'm looking for persona research first and foremost then I'll go from there. Svana

      From: Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous@...>
      Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 00:03:57
      To: SCA Newcomers list<scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Norse books

      Svana asked:

      <<< Has anyone read "Women in the Viking Age" or "Women in Old Norse
      Society?"

      I'm wanting to do some reference type reading and was hoping to get
      some feedback or other suggestions. >>>

      Are you looking specifically for books on Norse women. Or specifically
      Viking women? Or for books on the culture, which are more general than
      this?

      Here are some book reviews and bibliographies in the NORSE section of
      the Florilegium:

      books-Norse-msg (24K) 4/26/08 Books about the Norse. Reviews.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/books-Norse-msg.html
      Norse-crafts-bib (9K) 7/21/07 Bibliographies on Norse crafts.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/Norse-crafts-bib.html
      Norse-lit-bib (16K) 5/18/01 Bibliography of Norse literature
      by Gunnora.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/Norse-lit-bib.html
      Norse-women-bib (12K) 3/28/01 An annotated bibliography on Norse
      women by
      Gunnora Hallakarva.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/Norse-women-bib.html

      If this is specifically for persona development, then this file in the
      PERSONA section might also be of use:
      Vikng-Persona-wsh (8K) 12/21/01 A Viking Persona worksheet by
      Gunnora Hallakarva.

      As you can see, many of the articles and bibliographies I have were
      written by Mistress Gunnora. She is/was known as the "Viking Answer
      Lady" and does have her own website. The last couple of years she has
      been that active on the local SCA level, but she probably has some
      more info available on her own site.

      Stefan
      --------