Re: [SCA Newcomers] new to group and SCA

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
      I don't think you EVER move out of newbi-hood -- I've been involved for almost 18 years now and I still feel "new" sometimes

      and every time you start a new craft -- you're a newbie

      have fun - learn stuff

      Mariassa

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
        Welcome!

        It's always a pleasure to see a new face, so to speak.

        I have a few suggestions for anyone who is just starting out, most of which
        is just making sure that you know about resources available to you.

        To start with, the Society maintains a website with excellent pages of
        advice specifically for newcomers: http://www.sca.org/
        In the upper right hand corner there are several links under the heading
        'New to the SCA?'

        In 'Find Your Local Group', there will be links that will help you to figure
        out which kingdom you are in. Once you've done that, you can find your
        kingdom's website, also in 'Find Your Local Group'. Your kingdom's website
        will have more specific information to your area, like a calendar of local
        events, frequently with links to websites, and who the current king and
        prince are.

        The Society website also has info about the rules for any kind of martial
        activity, under Marshal's handbooks, from heavy fighting to siege weapons.
        Your kingdom website will have rules specifically for your kingdom, and will
        assume you already know the Society rules.

        The Society website has the Society Charter on it, with the specifics of
        who, what, when, where and why spelled out, so that there is less confusion.

        Once you start wanting more in depth info for various subjects, I recommend
        Stefan's website, The Florilegium: http://www.florilegium.org/
        with all sorts of articles about almost everything you could possible be
        interested in.

        Please don't stress out about finding a persona and making garb right away;
        your local group should have loaner garb, loaner feast gear, loaner fighter
        equipment, etc. While you should eventually start acquiring your own stuff,
        everyone has been a newcomer at one time or another, and they all
        understand, which is why they maintain loaner gear in the first place.

        Try out lots of things, even things you aren't sure you'll like; it costs
        little to try, and you might surprise yourself! (I didn't think I would be
        patient enough to ever do any embroidery, but I'm finding I can handle
        couched embroidery in small amounts.)

        Your local group is a font of info about all the things they are interested
        in - ask them questions about anything that looks like you might like to
        try - they frequently will let you, and teach you how. More, if there is
        something you are interested in, and your local group doesn't have someone
        else doing it already, they will likely know someone who is, and can
        introduce you.

        For any specific interest you wish to pursue, there is a Yahoo list - or you
        can start one!

        And always, you are welcome to ask any question you may have here. Someone
        will know the answer, or know where to find the answer, or know someone
        else, who knows, etc.

        Speaking of this Yahoo list, this SCA Newcomers Yahoo list has a files and a
        photos section, with lots of info and pics about things that people on this
        list were and are interested in - check it out sometime - I just noticed a
        file on Chatelaine info! I'll be looking at that as soon as I finish this
        email! (Chatelaine is the person designated to help newcomers in a group.
        We have chatelaines on shire, baronial, regional, kingdom and societal
        levels.)

        Tabitha Pennywarden
        Ravenslake, Midlands
        Middle Kingdom

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
          I am thinking of doing Irish/Scottish at the moment. I do Native American stuff also.

          Hi Shellie it's good to meet you. This is a good group to start your SCA journey with. Everyone here is friendly, helpful, and good advice givers. I don't think they know what an asset they are. Do you have an idea for a persona yet? If not don't sweat it and just have fun.

          Kristen

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
            Cool thank you for all the information I do a lot of different crat type. I do native american beadwork, hand embroidery, Book binding, machine embroidery, sewing, some leatherwork, I just have so many things I do it is too much to list at the moment. My cousin and her boyfriend are going to take me and my sister to a SCA newcomers night on tuseday. I am looking forward to it.

            Shellie

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
              Shellie said:
              <<< Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I
              looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area
              so she is showing me around :-) >>>

              Greetings Shellie,

              Welcome to the SCA!

              I'm not sure what you mean by "some groups". If you mean some mail
              lists or newsgroups, that is only a small part of the SCA. Want you
              really want to do is find out where the local groups are around you
              and find one or more of those you'd like to participate with. Nothing
              says you have to belong to only a single local group, although folks
              usually play with the one closest to them. If your closest group is
              into armored combat, and you are more into rapier combat or Arts and
              Sciences then another group where the people do more of the latter,
              might be more to your enjoyment.

              In Oregon you are in the Kingdom of An Tir. If you go to the main SCA
              site, www.sca.org, I believe they have a listing of or a program for
              finding out the groups closest to you.

              I run a website called Stefan's Florilegium. It has a large number of
              files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. You might want
              to start out looking at the NEWCOMERS section there, to find out more
              about the SCA. The address can be found in my signature below.

              Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or ask them here on
              this list.

              Stefan
              PS: I was going to send this by email to Shellie, but decided some
              here might also be interested. I hope the ongoing mentions of the
              Florilegium here aren't getting people annoyed.
              --------