Re: [SCA Newcomers] new to group and SCA

  • Sebhdann
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
      Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
      life.

      I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
      SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
      welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
      associated with.

      Enjoy yourself!

      --
      Slán!

      Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
      Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

      *mka Sue V.*

      Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
      We'll win the war and pay the toll,
      We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
      --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

      On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

      > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
      > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
      > around :-)
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Shellie

    • Sue
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
        I don't think you EVER move out of newbi-hood -- I've been involved for almost 18 years now and I still feel "new" sometimes

        and every time you start a new craft -- you're a newbie

        have fun - learn stuff

        Mariassa

        Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
        life.

        I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
        SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
        welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
        associated with.

        Enjoy yourself!

        --
        Slán!

        Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
        Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

        *mka Sue V.*

        Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
        We'll win the war and pay the toll,
        We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
        --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

        On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

        > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
        > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
        > around :-)
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Shellie

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
          Welcome!

          It's always a pleasure to see a new face, so to speak.

          I have a few suggestions for anyone who is just starting out, most of which
          is just making sure that you know about resources available to you.

          To start with, the Society maintains a website with excellent pages of
          advice specifically for newcomers: http://www.sca.org/
          In the upper right hand corner there are several links under the heading
          'New to the SCA?'

          In 'Find Your Local Group', there will be links that will help you to figure
          out which kingdom you are in. Once you've done that, you can find your
          kingdom's website, also in 'Find Your Local Group'. Your kingdom's website
          will have more specific information to your area, like a calendar of local
          events, frequently with links to websites, and who the current king and
          prince are.

          The Society website also has info about the rules for any kind of martial
          activity, under Marshal's handbooks, from heavy fighting to siege weapons.
          Your kingdom website will have rules specifically for your kingdom, and will
          assume you already know the Society rules.

          The Society website has the Society Charter on it, with the specifics of
          who, what, when, where and why spelled out, so that there is less confusion.

          Once you start wanting more in depth info for various subjects, I recommend
          Stefan's website, The Florilegium: http://www.florilegium.org/
          with all sorts of articles about almost everything you could possible be
          interested in.

          Please don't stress out about finding a persona and making garb right away;
          your local group should have loaner garb, loaner feast gear, loaner fighter
          equipment, etc. While you should eventually start acquiring your own stuff,
          everyone has been a newcomer at one time or another, and they all
          understand, which is why they maintain loaner gear in the first place.

          Try out lots of things, even things you aren't sure you'll like; it costs
          little to try, and you might surprise yourself! (I didn't think I would be
          patient enough to ever do any embroidery, but I'm finding I can handle
          couched embroidery in small amounts.)

          Your local group is a font of info about all the things they are interested
          in - ask them questions about anything that looks like you might like to
          try - they frequently will let you, and teach you how. More, if there is
          something you are interested in, and your local group doesn't have someone
          else doing it already, they will likely know someone who is, and can
          introduce you.

          For any specific interest you wish to pursue, there is a Yahoo list - or you
          can start one!

          And always, you are welcome to ask any question you may have here. Someone
          will know the answer, or know where to find the answer, or know someone
          else, who knows, etc.

          Speaking of this Yahoo list, this SCA Newcomers Yahoo list has a files and a
          photos section, with lots of info and pics about things that people on this
          list were and are interested in - check it out sometime - I just noticed a
          file on Chatelaine info! I'll be looking at that as soon as I finish this
          email! (Chatelaine is the person designated to help newcomers in a group.
          We have chatelaines on shire, baronial, regional, kingdom and societal
          levels.)

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
            I am thinking of doing Irish/Scottish at the moment. I do Native American stuff also.

            Hi Shellie it's good to meet you. This is a good group to start your SCA journey with. Everyone here is friendly, helpful, and good advice givers. I don't think they know what an asset they are. Do you have an idea for a persona yet? If not don't sweat it and just have fun.

            Kristen

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
              Cool thank you for all the information I do a lot of different crat type. I do native american beadwork, hand embroidery, Book binding, machine embroidery, sewing, some leatherwork, I just have so many things I do it is too much to list at the moment. My cousin and her boyfriend are going to take me and my sister to a SCA newcomers night on tuseday. I am looking forward to it.

              Shellie

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                Shellie said:
                <<< Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I
                looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area
                so she is showing me around :-) >>>

                Greetings Shellie,

                Welcome to the SCA!

                I'm not sure what you mean by "some groups". If you mean some mail
                lists or newsgroups, that is only a small part of the SCA. Want you
                really want to do is find out where the local groups are around you
                and find one or more of those you'd like to participate with. Nothing
                says you have to belong to only a single local group, although folks
                usually play with the one closest to them. If your closest group is
                into armored combat, and you are more into rapier combat or Arts and
                Sciences then another group where the people do more of the latter,
                might be more to your enjoyment.

                In Oregon you are in the Kingdom of An Tir. If you go to the main SCA
                site, www.sca.org, I believe they have a listing of or a program for
                finding out the groups closest to you.

                I run a website called Stefan's Florilegium. It has a large number of
                files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. You might want
                to start out looking at the NEWCOMERS section there, to find out more
                about the SCA. The address can be found in my signature below.

                Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or ask them here on
                this list.

                Stefan
                PS: I was going to send this by email to Shellie, but decided some
                here might also be interested. I hope the ongoing mentions of the
                Florilegium here aren't getting people annoyed.
                --------