Re: [SCA Newcomers] "Patricia" and "Otto" (was: Choose a name)

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 19, 2009
      Quoth Coblaith Muimnech:
      > Patti wrote:
      > > After a bit over a year or so, I am still searching for a name. I
      > > want to incorporate my name (patricia) and my father's name
      > > (otto). . .
      >
      > "Patricia" is Latin in derivation. I didn't find it in any of the
      > sources on period names that I perused.

      Withycombe's _Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names_ s.n.
      Patricia says that "<Patricia> occurs from time to time in medieval
      Latin records, but then merely denotes a woman bearing the name
      <Patrick>. Its use as a genuine Christian name seems to have begun
      in Scotland in the 18th C."

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est