Germanic info

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2009
      Patti For Now :-) asked about German name sources:
      <<< I want to incorporate my name (patricia) and my father's name
      (otto) and maybe something of my own choosing as well. Anyone out
      there versed in germanic names? As that is where most of my genes
      come from...as well as Czech and a bit of Swedish there too. I
      welcome any advice. >>>

      The St. Gabriel site is probably the best place to look for such name
      information as well as the SCA heraldry site someone else mentioned. I
      do have a pair of messages saved from long ago on German names that
      have yet to make it into the Florilegium, because I felt these other
      sites were so good that I wouldn't try to duplicate what they were
      doing.

      I do have this article written by Mistress Nicolaa, recently the
      editor of TI, in the NICOLAA'S ARTICLES section:
      names-Ger-art (7K) 7/26/94 Germanic names.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/NICOLAA/names-Ger-art.html

      Since a name is only a small part of a persona, I'm going to take the
      liberty of posting some of the articles in the Florilegium on German
      stuff which might also be of interest. Since you didn't mention a time
      period, some of this is likely to be earlier or later than your
      persona, though.

      In the CULTURES section:
      Germany-bib (5K) 6/25/99 A bibliography on German medieval
      history
      by Erilar.
      Germany-msg (12K) 4/ 9/05 Medieval points of interest in
      Germany.
      Landsknechts-bib (12K) 3/ 3/03 A bibliography on German
      mercenary soldiers
      by Master Magnus Malleus.
      Landsknechts-msg (12K) 4/10/05 German mercenaries of the 16th
      Century.

      I've just added this article in the DANCE section:
      G-Peasnt-Dnce-art (18K) 10/ 8/09 "16th Century German Peasant Dance
      from Period
      Woodcuts - Two Dances from the
      Beham
      Brothers" by Viscountess Elisa
      von Sophey.
      In the FEASTS section:
      German-Feast-art (32K) 2/26/06 German feast cooked for the Erud Sul
      Investiture by HL Caitlin Ruadh
      (called
      Ru) and Lady Evja Johannsdottir.
      German-Fst-OC-art (22K) 9/26/09 German feast for the Outlands Crown
      Tournament
      from "Ein New Kochbuck", 1581 by
      Catrin von
      Berlin (Gwen Cat).
      (I'll get this one uploaded in the next few days)

      In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
      fd-Germany-msg (124K) 1/19/08 Medieval and Period German food.
      Cookbooks.

      In the LIFE-STEPS section:
      Ger-marriage-msg (24K) 4/ 2/99 Period Germanic marriage customs.

      I hope these are of use or interest,

      Stefan
      --------