Stefan's Florilegium article for October

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6 10:16 PM
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World.

      I have heard that the GeoCities free websites are going away. If you
      have such a site with SCA-type files and don't wish to move to the pay
      version, the files that you have worked so hard to produce, may make a
      good addition to the Florilegium. I am in the process of moving
      several articles on tablet weaving by Eve the Just from GeoCities to
      the Florilegium and would be happy to consider more.

      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
      SC-Estrela-09-msg The Siege Cooking Contest at the Estrella War
      in 2009.
      In the COMMERCE section:
      Chndler-Guild-art "A Brief History of the Worshipful Company of
      Waxchandlers, London from the 13th to 17th
      Centuries" by Lady Kate the Candelmaker.
      In the DISABILITIES section:
      Sign-Lang-Wed-art "Wedding Vows Performed in 'Sign Language',
      and Signs in Other Ceremonies" by Lady
      Ásfríðr Ulfvíðardóttir.
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Hors-Gme-Eqmt-art "Equipment for Equestrian Games" by Lady
      Lyonet Lamoureux.
      In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
      cppr-utn-care-msg Care and cleaning of copper utensils.
      potry-utn-care-msg Care of pottery cooking utensils.
      In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
      Fire-Starting-art "Period fire starting and Archimedes Death
      Ray" by Viscount Sir Corin Anderson.
      In the NEWCOMERS section:
      SCA-Housholds-art "Introduction to SCA Households" by Maistor
      Justinos Tekton called Justin.
      In the PENNSIC section:
      P-Sanitation-art "Pennsic Sanitation for the Compleat Idiot"
      by Qatagin-u Jajiradai (called Master Jaji).

      In the SCA-INC section:
      SCA-oaths-msg Swearing oaths in the SCA. Peerage and Officer
      In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
      Int-Dyeing-FC-art "Introduction to Dyeing: Food Coloring"
      by Mistress Alienor Fitzhenry, OL.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      dairy-prod-msg Dairy products. milk, butter, curds, cream.
      berries-msg Period berries and berry recipes.
      glasswork-msg Stained glass, glass etching. glassblowing.
      high-alt-ckng-msg Cooking medieval food and feasts at high
      mustard-msg Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
      soup-msg Medieval soups. Cooking soups at events.
      West-hist-msg Histories of the West Kingdom.
      Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.