Forming a new group

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2009
      On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 18:50 +0000, nightflyer0ne wrote:
      > (There's no local group in my area yet)

      You could start one.

      That's not a flippant answer...it's exactly what we did here in
      northeastern Ohio, founding the Marche of Alderford back in 1994. :-)

      Starting a new shire is a lot of work, and takes a long-term commitment,
      but it is also very rewarding.

      Justin
      ===============

      There is probably an official file somewhere on how to start a new
      local SCA group, but I've never needed to look for it. I've only been
      in one local group and it is currently the biggest in Ansteorra.

      I do have this file with suggestions and comments from others about
      getting an SCA group going. This is in the SCA-INC section of the
      Florilegium:
      new-groups-msg (17K) 6/11/05 Procedures and advice on starting
      new SCA
      groups.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/new-groups-msg.html

      Here are a few other files in the same section which might be of
      interest, especially to those trying to start a new group:
      fundraising-msg (52K) 2/ 5/08 Fundraising ideas for SCA groups.
      recruiting-art (16K) 7/13/02 "On the Recruiting and Retention of
      New
      Members" by Lady Meliora
      Leuedai de
      Ardescote.
      recruitment-msg (48K) 6/11/05 Recruitment ideas. bringing in new
      members.
      sprd-out-grps-msg (10K) 12/27/01 Handling SCA groups spread over a
      large area

      If you can only collect a few folks together, it might be better to
      form a household than an SCA groups. While households can often suffer
      from cliquishness, they don't have the minimum officer requirements of
      local groups. When you don't have enough people to handle all the
      officer positions and then a sufficient set of non-officers, groups
      end up playing "musical chairs" each time officer appointments come up
      and this leads to burn-out and in the end no one wins.

      Oh, and there's a Florilegium file on households, too. :-)
      households-msg (34K) 2/ 5/08 Comments on households in the SCA.

      Stefan
      --------