armorial heraldry

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2009
      Heather commented:

      <<< My main worry is access to books. I live in a small town, and the
      public library doesn't exactly have a heraldry section (I don't think,
      I'll actually have to check - they might surprise me). I've been
      mostly relying on online sources. >>>

      These days online sources are often a good place to start, although
      I've seen more of those, good and bad, for names than for heraldry.
      Although I'm not a herald, I've gradually built up a collection of
      heraldry books through the years through books bought at sales and as
      remainders. That is also a possibility for you, but it will take time.

      Another way is to get books through Inter-Library Loan (ILL). This
      article in the INFO-SOURCES section of the Florilegium gives an
      overview of ILL.
      Using-ILL-art (8K) 11/09/03 "Interlibrary Loan" by Aelfwynn of
      Whitby
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/INFO-SOURCES/Using-ILL-art.html

      If you've never been to the Florilegium before, the address is given
      in my signature line below. It currently has a little over 2200
      different files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. So you
      might find some other files of interest there as well. For instance,
      there is a NEWCOMERS section, which I would recommend to all the
      people reading this list.

      I also have a HERALDRY section, but most of it is on field,
      announcement and court heraldry, rather than on devices/coats of arms.
      However, here are a few files folks might find interesting.
      arms-humor-msg (30K) 2/14/01 Humorous SCA armory.
      heraldry-bks-msg (27K) 6/ 7/96 Heraldry books. book reviews.
      heraldry-tips-msg (9K) 9/28/95 SCA heraldry for cultures that
      didn't have
      heraldry.
      pentagrams-msg (26K) 6/10/09 The case for and against allowing
      pentagrams
      in SCA heraldry. It's history
      within the SCA
      Sinister-Hand-art (8K) 6/30/01 "Argent, A Sinister Hand Erect
      Couped Gules"
      by Ld. Daniel Raoul le Vascon.

      Stefan
      --------