Re: [SCA Newcomers] More scribe advice

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      Judith,
      I think I may have been a scribe in a past life, I sure do know where to find a lot of info considering I've never made a scroll in my life. :)

      I found this nice little Intro to Calligraphy which might be useful to you. http://us.geocities.com/armonye@.../Icallig.html It has all sorts of info about different supplies and some links as to where to get things. It mentions a site http://www.paperinkarts.com which I've heard other scribes say is a very good source for supplies. In regards to the Bristol paper, your best bet would probably be to try your local art supply store if you have one.

      ~Janet

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        Judith wrote:
        > Can someone tell me where I can find left-handed slant calligraphy
        > nibs and holders, or at least straight-cut ones?

        My local craft chain stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) carry
        beginners' sets with left-hand nibs. (I don't think holders come in
        handed versions.) You might want to start by checking those in your
        area.

        Dick Blick Art Supplies carries Speedball left-hand and universal dip
        nibs <http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-lettering-nibs/>
        and holders that they fit into <http://www.dickblick.com/products/
        speedball-standard-pen-holder/>.

        If you don't have a left-handed teacher, by the way, you might find a
        book like Vance Studley's _Left-Handed Calligraphy_ <http://
        books.google.com/books?id=OBFsFAP9dsMC> a worthwhile investment.

        > How much is "fairly inexpensive" when it comes to slant-top writing
        > surfaces? Can anyone recommend a source for these?

        I've seen small unfinished wooden ones of the slant-top box variety
        for about $15 <http://www.craft-supplies-online.com/productdetail.asp?
        item_nbr=038-724> and modern drawing boards with legs for a little
        more than twice that <http://www.dickblick.com/products/scheewe-
        artist-board/> <http://www.suppliesnet.com/index.asp?
        PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3655>.

        As is true of most S.C.A. gear, you'll get better quality for the
        money if you make instead of buy. You might consider something like
        Lia de Thornegge's portable scribal desk <http://www.geocities.com/
        lia_de_thornegge/desk/index.html>, or one of the types Mahee of Acre
        has designed <http://geocities.com/maithgen/wood/desks.html>. Randy
        Asplund's scribe tools page <http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/
        scribepg/scritool.html> offers enough information on a Gothic example
        of another style to allow an experienced woodworker to draw up her or
        his own plans. The simple hinged desk pictured at <http://www.uu.edu/
        personal/grichard/Paleography%20Exercise/
        Paleography_Project_Scribal_Desk.htm> is something even I could
        probably manage. The royal writing box seen at <http://www.vam.ac.uk/
        collections/furniture/videos/royal_desk/broadband.html> would require
        an expert (or three). The much simpler Shaker Lap Desk for which
        Woodworkers' Workshop has webbed plans <http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/
        plans/plans/shakerlapdesk.pdf> is similar in intent, however.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
          On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 17:43 -0400, Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner
          wrote:
          > While the extant manuscripts we see today are an off-white/ecru color,
          > they
          > didn't start out that way. They started out as white as possible.

          You know, I've been in the SCA almost twenty years, and I didn't know
          that! Any day in which I start out by learning something new is a good
          day. Thanks for sharing, Finnseach.

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/