Re: [SCA Newcomers] tent

  • Svanarose
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
      Greetings Ann

      I too have only been SCA a few years. pennsic was my first SCA event last year. What was cool was being able to submit my name and device, the help i got from the Heralds. This last Pennsic, the Heralds gave me the wonderful news of it being passed. Awesome.

      My origninal reason to reply was the tent issue. I want to cover my tent somewhat as well. I have been collecting blue and white fabrics and pieces so that my banners and slip cover for my tent match my kingdom. I am not sure how im gonna do this yet, but the yahoo groups have been great for information. Hope to connect at the NEXT Pennsic.

      Svana
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, ann baltrush <abaltrush@...> wrote:

      > Greetings Justinos,
      > I have been in SCA about 2 years and to Pennsic for the first time this year. While there I decided to submit a device and name and I am hoping if the device passes I could start to use it on my tent and so I was going to try and make my tent blend in a new better by trying to cover up the blue and orange on the tent. I am leaning towards covering it up with strips of material over the orange and blue sections of the tent. I don't want to spend a lot of money on material to cover the whole tent, but your idea was something I was thinking of doing. I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period. Also I was going to make some banners to run down the sides and along the bottom under the windows to hide the color there. Once again thank you and all who have given me advice on this matter. Aine (Ann of the Canton of the Towers).

    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
        On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:51 -0700, ann baltrush wrote:
        > I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the
        > entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period.

        That's a great idea! People tend to see the part of the structure that
        is up front, and even if you do nothing else, this will make a big
        difference.

        Also, if you pick the right type, your shade fly could be used by itself
        for day-tripping events or could be used alongside a period tent if you
        ever decide to buy one later.

        Kind regards,

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • ann baltrush
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
          Greetings, My tent is 9.5 ft by 15 ft with an adjustable height with a extra piece of nylon to divide the tent into 2 rooms and has a large blue fly that fits over the whole top of the tent.  I sleep on an army cot with an air mattress on that.  (I like camping, but also like my comfort.)  I love the size of my tent and how easy it is to dry and store.  I am an older single woman and usually camp alone unless my niece comes with me and then there is plenty of room for both of our stuff.  I would like to make it look a little more period so if my device passes I can display it along with other banners and getting rid of the blue and orange by either covering it up or painting it.  I didn't know if putting a banner across the bottom of the windows would look to stupid, but that's what I was thinking of doing because I thought it would be easier and less expensive then painting.   I would like to hang up banners for SCA, kingdom, barony and
          my own device outside my tent especially for Pennsic.   Thanks everyone for your advice.  Ann of Towers