Re: [SCA Newcomers] More scribe advice

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      Judith,
      I think I may have been a scribe in a past life, I sure do know where to find a lot of info considering I've never made a scroll in my life. :)

      I found this nice little Intro to Calligraphy which might be useful to you. http://us.geocities.com/armonye@.../Icallig.html It has all sorts of info about different supplies and some links as to where to get things. It mentions a site http://www.paperinkarts.com which I've heard other scribes say is a very good source for supplies. In regards to the Bristol paper, your best bet would probably be to try your local art supply store if you have one.

      ~Janet

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        Judith wrote:
        > Can someone tell me where I can find left-handed slant calligraphy
        > nibs and holders, or at least straight-cut ones?

        My local craft chain stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) carry
        beginners' sets with left-hand nibs. (I don't think holders come in
        handed versions.) You might want to start by checking those in your
        area.

        Dick Blick Art Supplies carries Speedball left-hand and universal dip
        nibs <http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-lettering-nibs/>
        and holders that they fit into <http://www.dickblick.com/products/
        speedball-standard-pen-holder/>.

        If you don't have a left-handed teacher, by the way, you might find a
        book like Vance Studley's _Left-Handed Calligraphy_ <http://
        books.google.com/books?id=OBFsFAP9dsMC> a worthwhile investment.

        > How much is "fairly inexpensive" when it comes to slant-top writing
        > surfaces? Can anyone recommend a source for these?

        I've seen small unfinished wooden ones of the slant-top box variety
        for about $15 <http://www.craft-supplies-online.com/productdetail.asp?
        item_nbr=038-724> and modern drawing boards with legs for a little
        more than twice that <http://www.dickblick.com/products/scheewe-
        artist-board/> <http://www.suppliesnet.com/index.asp?
        PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3655>.

        As is true of most S.C.A. gear, you'll get better quality for the
        money if you make instead of buy. You might consider something like
        Lia de Thornegge's portable scribal desk <http://www.geocities.com/
        lia_de_thornegge/desk/index.html>, or one of the types Mahee of Acre
        has designed <http://geocities.com/maithgen/wood/desks.html>. Randy
        Asplund's scribe tools page <http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/
        scribepg/scritool.html> offers enough information on a Gothic example
        of another style to allow an experienced woodworker to draw up her or
        his own plans. The simple hinged desk pictured at <http://www.uu.edu/
        personal/grichard/Paleography%20Exercise/
        Paleography_Project_Scribal_Desk.htm> is something even I could
        probably manage. The royal writing box seen at <http://www.vam.ac.uk/
        collections/furniture/videos/royal_desk/broadband.html> would require
        an expert (or three). The much simpler Shaker Lap Desk for which
        Woodworkers' Workshop has webbed plans <http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/
        plans/plans/shakerlapdesk.pdf> is similar in intent, however.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • Dave Roland
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
          I had the pleasure of helping make some goat skin vellum/parchment this year. I did most of the scraping of the fat off of the skin. As a reward for my assistance I was gifted the entire skin.

          That skin had nothing done to it that would make it be anything but it's natural color.

          It is indeed NOT white. To make vellum/parchment white the skin itself would have had to be white OR it would have had to go through some kind of bleaching process.

          Having worked with and held in my hands parchment from various eras and places I can assure you that vellum that was white when created can stay white till this very day. Oh, I'm sure there is some aging process that would color it, but I have held hundreds of years old white vellum in my hands that was still white.

          Ian the Green

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner <fionnseachdelochielle@...> wrote:

          > Sara L Uckelman wrote:
          > [...]
          > > This is something that I've wondered about. I've heard this
          > > claimed many times, but if you look at parchment which is
          > > created nowadays, it is often not white, but slightly off-white.
          > > Is this because parchment made today is made to look like it's
          > > old, or what?
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
            On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 17:43 -0400, Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner
            wrote:
            > While the extant manuscripts we see today are an off-white/ecru color,
            > they
            > didn't start out that way. They started out as white as possible.

            You know, I've been in the SCA almost twenty years, and I didn't know
            that! Any day in which I start out by learning something new is a good
            day. Thanks for sharing, Finnseach.

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/