More scribe advice

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
      Can anyone recommend a good source for Bristol paper? I need it to be...

      * of at least 92lb weight
      * ivory/ecru/"parchment" (read: old-looking) color
      * large in size, like around 14" x 17"
      * otherwise suitable to calligraphy, using non-waterproof India or
      sumi ink
      * cold-pressed if possible, hot-pressed is fine if cold-pressed isn't
      findable

      Bonus points: Can someone tell me where I can find left-handed slant
      calligraphy nibs and holders, or at least straight-cut ones?
      More bonus points: How much is "fairly inexpensive" when it comes to
      slant-top writing surfaces? Can anyone recommend a source for these?

      Judith / no SCA name yet
      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
    • Janet
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        Judith,
        I think I may have been a scribe in a past life, I sure do know where to find a lot of info considering I've never made a scroll in my life. :)

        I found this nice little Intro to Calligraphy which might be useful to you. http://us.geocities.com/armonye@.../Icallig.html It has all sorts of info about different supplies and some links as to where to get things. It mentions a site http://www.paperinkarts.com which I've heard other scribes say is a very good source for supplies. In regards to the Bristol paper, your best bet would probably be to try your local art supply store if you have one.

        ~Janet

        ________________________________
        Can anyone recommend a good source for Bristol paper? I need it to be...

        * of at least 92lb weight
        * ivory/ecru/" parchment" (read: old-looking) color
        * large in size, like around 14" x 17"
        * otherwise suitable to calligraphy, using non-waterproof India or
        sumi ink
        * cold-pressed if possible, hot-pressed is fine if cold-pressed isn't
        findable

        Bonus points: Can someone tell me where I can find left-handed slant
        calligraphy nibs and holders, or at least straight-cut ones?
        More bonus points: How much is "fairly inexpensive" when it comes to
        slant-top writing surfaces? Can anyone recommend a source for these?

        Judith / no SCA name yet
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster' s Egg
        Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
      • Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
          Judith Epstein wrote:
          > Can anyone recommend a good source for Bristol paper? I need it to be...
          >
          > * of at least 92lb weight
          > * ivory/ecru/"parchment" (read: old-looking) color

          Actually, you want white. No, really.

          While the extant manuscripts we see today are an off-white/ecru color, they
          didn't start out that way. They started out as white as possible.

          A good source for many calligraphy needs is John Neal Books
          <http://www.johnnealbooks.com/> and Paper and Ink Arts
          <http://www.paperinkarts.com/>.

          Finnseach
          -a former scribe of the Midrealm
          --
          "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you know,
          sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough chocolate in the
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
            Judith wrote:
            > Can someone tell me where I can find left-handed slant calligraphy
            > nibs and holders, or at least straight-cut ones?

            My local craft chain stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.) carry
            beginners' sets with left-hand nibs. (I don't think holders come in
            handed versions.) You might want to start by checking those in your
            area.

            Dick Blick Art Supplies carries Speedball left-hand and universal dip
            nibs <http://www.dickblick.com/products/speedball-lettering-nibs/>
            and holders that they fit into <http://www.dickblick.com/products/
            speedball-standard-pen-holder/>.

            If you don't have a left-handed teacher, by the way, you might find a
            book like Vance Studley's _Left-Handed Calligraphy_ <http://
            books.google.com/books?id=OBFsFAP9dsMC> a worthwhile investment.

            > How much is "fairly inexpensive" when it comes to slant-top writing
            > surfaces? Can anyone recommend a source for these?

            I've seen small unfinished wooden ones of the slant-top box variety
            for about $15 <http://www.craft-supplies-online.com/productdetail.asp?
            item_nbr=038-724> and modern drawing boards with legs for a little
            more than twice that <http://www.dickblick.com/products/scheewe-
            artist-board/> <http://www.suppliesnet.com/index.asp?
            PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3655>.

            As is true of most S.C.A. gear, you'll get better quality for the
            money if you make instead of buy. You might consider something like
            Lia de Thornegge's portable scribal desk <http://www.geocities.com/
            lia_de_thornegge/desk/index.html>, or one of the types Mahee of Acre
            has designed <http://geocities.com/maithgen/wood/desks.html>. Randy
            Asplund's scribe tools page <http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/
            scribepg/scritool.html> offers enough information on a Gothic example
            of another style to allow an experienced woodworker to draw up her or
            his own plans. The simple hinged desk pictured at <http://www.uu.edu/
            personal/grichard/Paleography%20Exercise/
            Paleography_Project_Scribal_Desk.htm> is something even I could
            probably manage. The royal writing box seen at <http://www.vam.ac.uk/
            collections/furniture/videos/royal_desk/broadband.html> would require
            an expert (or three). The much simpler Shaker Lap Desk for which
            Woodworkers' Workshop has webbed plans <http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/
            plans/plans/shakerlapdesk.pdf> is similar in intent, however.

            Coblaith Muimnech
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            <http://coblaith.net>
          • Sara L Uckelman
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
              Quoth Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner:
              > Judith Epstein wrote:
              > > Can anyone recommend a good source for Bristol paper? I need it to be...
              > >
              > > * of at least 92lb weight
              > > * ivory/ecru/"parchment" (read: old-looking) color
              >
              > Actually, you want white. No, really.
              >
              > While the extant manuscripts we see today are an off-white/ecru color, they
              > didn't start out that way. They started out as white as possible.

              This is something that I've wondered about. I've heard this
              claimed many times, but if you look at parchment which is
              created nowadays, it is often not white, but slightly off-white.
              Is this because parchment made today is made to look like it's
              old, or what?

              -Aryanhwy

              --
              vita sine literis mors est
              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2009
                Sara L Uckelman wrote:
                [...]
                > This is something that I've wondered about. I've heard this
                > claimed many times, but if you look at parchment which is
                > created nowadays, it is often not white, but slightly off-white.
                > Is this because parchment made today is made to look like it's
                > old, or what?

                I think it's more a matter of process, as in time it takes (and money). It's a
                lot more involved to get the vellum (calf) or parchment (sheep, goat, etc.)
                closer to white than it does to get it "nearly white." Of course, I'm not a
                vellum maker, nor a tanner so take it for what it's worth.

                Finnseach
                Dernehealde, Midrealm
                --
                "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you know,
                sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough chocolate in the
                house, it's Tuesday, I need it for my research project..." ;)
              • Dave Roland
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2009
                  I had the pleasure of helping make some goat skin vellum/parchment this year. I did most of the scraping of the fat off of the skin. As a reward for my assistance I was gifted the entire skin.

                  That skin had nothing done to it that would make it be anything but it's natural color.

                  It is indeed NOT white. To make vellum/parchment white the skin itself would have had to be white OR it would have had to go through some kind of bleaching process.

                  Having worked with and held in my hands parchment from various eras and places I can assure you that vellum that was white when created can stay white till this very day. Oh, I'm sure there is some aging process that would color it, but I have held hundreds of years old white vellum in my hands that was still white.

                  Ian the Green

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner <fionnseachdelochielle@...> wrote:

                  > Sara L Uckelman wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > > This is something that I've wondered about. I've heard this
                  > > claimed many times, but if you look at parchment which is
                  > > created nowadays, it is often not white, but slightly off-white.
                  > > Is this because parchment made today is made to look like it's
                  > > old, or what?
                • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2009
                    On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 17:43 -0400, Finnseach de Locheil/Judith Winner
                    wrote:
                    > While the extant manuscripts we see today are an off-white/ecru color,
                    > they
                    > didn't start out that way. They started out as white as possible.

                    You know, I've been in the SCA almost twenty years, and I didn't know
                    that! Any day in which I start out by learning something new is a good
                    day. Thanks for sharing, Finnseach.

                    fesswise reversed sable.

                    justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/