Re: [SCA Newcomers] tent

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
      On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Maria Buchanan wrote:

      > Amen and thank you Justin.
      > I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".
      > It has closets!!! We put it up the first time and the name stuck.
      > I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them
      > to the tent poles.
      > Maria

      You KNOW you can't post about something like that, and not show us
      pictures, right? We all need to see this marvel!

      Judith / no SCA name yet
      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
      Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
    • ann baltrush
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
        Greetings Justinos,
        I have been in SCA about 2 years and to Pennsic for the first time this year. While there I decided to submit a device and name and I am hoping if the device passes I could start to use it on my tent and so I was going to try and make my tent blend in a new better by trying to cover up the blue and orange on the tent. I am leaning towards covering it up with strips of material over the orange and blue sections of the tent. I don't want to spend a lot of money on material to cover the whole tent, but your idea was something I was thinking of doing. I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period. Also I was going to make some banners to run down the sides and along the bottom under the windows to hide the color there. Once again thank you and all who have given me advice on this matter. Aine (Ann of the Canton of the Towers).

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
          Anne of Canton of the Towers asked about disguising her mundane, nylon
          tent.

          <<< I am looking for help with my mundane tent. I have a Sears
          Hillary II tent about 6 yrs old and would like to cover up the blue
          and orange part of the tent and try and make it all white so it won't
          look so modern. A period tent the size I have is too expensive for me
          right now and I don't think I could put it up by myself. Also my
          nylon tent dries faster and I live in an apartment with no place to
          set up a tent to dry, so I like my nylon tent. I wanted to either try
          and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and orange with white nylon
          like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted there tent successfully,
          if so could you please let me know how you did it? >>>

          Is your current tent in two pieces? A breathable main tent with a
          waterproof rainfly? Or a single-layer waterproof tent? The problem
          with the latter is that is moisture from your breath can not escape to
          outside the tent, it will condense inside, making it moist and clammy.
          If your tent is already waterproof then painting it, which will ruin
          any breathability it already has, will cause you problems. If not,
          then painting it will probably not make it any worse.

          This is one reason that painting on canvas tents, even on medieval
          pavilions, is kept to a minimum.

          This file in the STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium does have some
          information on painting tents.
          tent-painting-msg (34K) 11/10/98 Painting and decorating tents.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-painting-msg.html

          Sheetwalls, often decorated fabric sheets or painted sheets are
          sometimes strung up around encampments at the big wars such as
          Estrella, Gulf Wars and Pennsic. You could do something around your
          own encampment, even if it only contained one tent.

          These files are in the Florilegium SCA-CAMPINMG section:
          Sheetwalls-art (12K) 12/26/00 "On the Creating of Sheet Walls"
          by Lady
          Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Sheetwalls-art.html
          sheetwalls-msg (14K) 4/ 2/07 Using sheetwalls to separate
          encampments.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/sheetwalls-msg.html

          Here are some more ideas on how to disguise a modern tent, in the
          STRUCTURES section:
          tent-dsguises-msg (23K) 8/16/05 Ideas for disguising modern tents.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-dsguises-msg.html

          The shape of some of the modern "bubble" tents isn't necessarily as
          non-period as most people think. Unfortunately, bright flourescent
          colors do scream modern.
          dometents-pic (3K) 9/21/94 German Landsknecht camp, painted
          1500-1550.
          featuring dome tents.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/dometents-pic.rtf

          A period tent does not have to be expensive. A lot of it depends upon
          how big you want it to be and whether you want a grand pavilion or
          just a medieval period sleeping place.

          Here are some files in the STRUCTURES section. Most of the files in
          the Florilegium on tents are going to be in this section.
          p-tent-const-art (23K) 9/23/98 "Building a Period Tent" by
          Geoffrey Maynard
          p-tents-msg (56K) 8/24/08 Period tents and documentation
          sources.
          pavilions-msg (140K) 2/ 8/08 The making of medieval pavilions.
          Pavilions-101-art (16K) 6/28/99 "Pavilions 101" by Lady Giovanna
          Theresa
          Battista di Firenze.

          Large pavilions can be difficult to transport but sectioned poles can
          help. A lot of it depends upon the vehicle you have. Sometimes Viking
          "ship tents" or Mongol yurts have advantages. If you aren't much of a
          sewing person, but you are good at carpentry, both of these have
          advantages of the usual medieval pavilions. But the poles,
          particularly on the ship tent can be difficult to haul.
          yurts-msg (92K) 9/24/08 Round Mongol tents also called gers.

          If you are into decadence, sometimes, like when it rains, there is
          nothing to beat simply reaching up and closing the shutters...
          tent-alt-msg (48K) 9/10/01 Alternatives to tents for SCA
          events.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-alt-msg.html

          Stefan
          (Who usually sleeps at SCA events in a 17 x 17 ft. square pavilion in
          a double wood-frame bed.
          --------
        • Maria Buchanan
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
            LOL.  I'll try to take a picture of it the next time I put it up and then post it in the pictures section.  BTW I love this tent!  It's an Ozark Trails so it was inexpensive.  But I swear the thing is almost as big as my bedroom.
            Maria

            On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Maria Buchanan wrote:

            > Amen and thank you Justin.

            > I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".

            > It has closets!!! We put it up the first time and the name stuck.

            > I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them

            > to the tent poles.

            > Maria

            You KNOW you can't post about something like that, and not show us

            pictures, right? We all need to see this marvel!

            Judith / no SCA name yet

            Master Albrecht Waldfurster' s Egg

            Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)

          • Svanarose
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
              Greetings Ann

              I too have only been SCA a few years. pennsic was my first SCA event last year. What was cool was being able to submit my name and device, the help i got from the Heralds. This last Pennsic, the Heralds gave me the wonderful news of it being passed. Awesome.

              My origninal reason to reply was the tent issue. I want to cover my tent somewhat as well. I have been collecting blue and white fabrics and pieces so that my banners and slip cover for my tent match my kingdom. I am not sure how im gonna do this yet, but the yahoo groups have been great for information. Hope to connect at the NEXT Pennsic.

              Svana

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:51 -0700, ann baltrush wrote:
                > I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the
                > entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period.

                That's a great idea! People tend to see the part of the structure that
                is up front, and even if you do nothing else, this will make a big
                difference.

                Also, if you pick the right type, your shade fly could be used by itself
                for day-tripping events or could be used alongside a period tent if you
                ever decide to buy one later.

                Kind regards,

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
                  Greetings, My tent is 9.5 ft by 15 ft with an adjustable height with a extra piece of nylon to divide the tent into 2 rooms and has a large blue fly that fits over the whole top of the tent.  I sleep on an army cot with an air mattress on that.  (I like camping, but also like my comfort.)  I love the size of my tent and how easy it is to dry and store.  I am an older single woman and usually camp alone unless my niece comes with me and then there is plenty of room for both of our stuff.  I would like to make it look a little more period so if my device passes I can display it along with other banners and getting rid of the blue and orange by either covering it up or painting it.  I didn't know if putting a banner across the bottom of the windows would look to stupid, but that's what I was thinking of doing because I thought it would be easier and less expensive then painting.   I would like to hang up banners for SCA, kingdom, barony and
                  my own device outside my tent especially for Pennsic.   Thanks everyone for your advice.  Ann of Towers

                  Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@ austin.rr. com