Re: [SCA Newcomers] tent

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
      On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:37 +0000, ann wrote:
      > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and
      > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted
      > there tent successfully, if so could you please let me know how you
      > did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Ann of Canton
      > of the Towers (East Kingdom)

      I would not recommend painting the nylon tent, for two reasons:

      1. It would probably mess up the waterproofing.
      2. It would be kind of strange if you decide to use the modern tent
      in the modern world. :-)

      On the other hand, your notion of a cover is a great idea, and one that
      has been implemented successfully by many people over the years.

      Rather than having the cover fabric actually against your nylon, I
      recommend having it staked out a foot or so on each side, so that there
      is an air gap between the tent and the cover over most of the surface
      area. This will help both structures to stay dry. If you want the cover
      to stay completely clear of your nylon, you could consider purchasing
      some aluminum telescoping poles at a camping store. In effect, you put a
      home-made dining fly that looks medieval over your tent.

      Alternatively, just draping some period-looking fabric (perhaps with
      painted designs) strategically over parts of your tent can have a good
      effect as well, and is very simple to implement.

      My wife and I have been in the SCA for 18 years and own a couple of
      period tents. We also use a modern tent from time to time, depending on
      the event. I don't think you have to make any apologies for the use of a
      modern tent -- authenticity is great, but a period tent (as you rightly
      point out) is not a practical solution for everyone, depending on your
      modern-world living situation and your finances. Bring your nylon tent,
      wear your garb, and be welcome. :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Maria Buchanan
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
        Amen and thank you Justin.
        I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".  It has closets!!!  We put it up the first time and the name stuck.  I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them to the tent poles.
        Maria

        On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:37 +0000, ann wrote:

        > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and

        > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted

        > there tent successfully, if so could you please let me know how you

        > did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Ann of Canton

        > of the Towers (East Kingdom)

        I would not recommend painting the nylon tent, for two reasons:

        1. It would probably mess up the waterproofing.

        2. It would be kind of strange if you decide to use the modern tent

        in the modern world. :-)

        On the other hand, your notion of a cover is a great idea, and one that

        has been implemented successfully by many people over the years.

        Rather than having the cover fabric actually against your nylon, I

        recommend having it staked out a foot or so on each side, so that there

        is an air gap between the tent and the cover over most of the surface

        area. This will help both structures to stay dry. If you want the cover

        to stay completely clear of your nylon, you could consider purchasing

        some aluminum telescoping poles at a camping store. In effect, you put a

        home-made dining fly that looks medieval over your tent.

        Alternatively, just draping some period-looking fabric (perhaps with

        painted designs) strategically over parts of your tent can have a good

        effect as well, and is very simple to implement.

        My wife and I have been in the SCA for 18 years and own a couple of

        period tents. We also use a modern tent from time to time, depending on

        the event. I don't think you have to make any apologies for the use of a

        modern tent -- authenticity is great, but a period tent (as you rightly

        point out) is not a practical solution for everyone, depending on your

        modern-world living situation and your finances. Bring your nylon tent,

        wear your garb, and be welcome. :-)

        ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/ sca/justin/

      • Judith Epstein
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
          On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Maria Buchanan wrote:

          > Amen and thank you Justin.
          > I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".
          > It has closets!!! We put it up the first time and the name stuck.
          > I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them
          > to the tent poles.
          > Maria

          You KNOW you can't post about something like that, and not show us
          pictures, right? We all need to see this marvel!

          Judith / no SCA name yet
          Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
          Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
        • ann baltrush
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
            Greetings Justinos,
            I have been in SCA about 2 years and to Pennsic for the first time this year. While there I decided to submit a device and name and I am hoping if the device passes I could start to use it on my tent and so I was going to try and make my tent blend in a new better by trying to cover up the blue and orange on the tent. I am leaning towards covering it up with strips of material over the orange and blue sections of the tent. I don't want to spend a lot of money on material to cover the whole tent, but your idea was something I was thinking of doing. I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period. Also I was going to make some banners to run down the sides and along the bottom under the windows to hide the color there. Once again thank you and all who have given me advice on this matter. Aine (Ann of the Canton of the Towers).

            > > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up
            > the blue and
            >
            > > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has
            > anyone painted
            >
            > > there tent successfully, if so could you please let me
            > know how you
            >
            > > did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
            > Ann of Canton
            >
            > > of the Towers (East Kingdom)
            >

            > I would not recommend painting the nylon tent, for two
            > reasons:
            >

            > 1. It would probably mess up the waterproofing.
            >
            > 2. It would be kind of strange if you decide to use the
            > modern tent
            >
            > in the modern world. :-)
            >

            > On the other hand, your notion of a cover is a great idea,
            > and one that
            >
            > has been implemented successfully by many people over the
            > years.
            >

            > Rather than having the cover fabric actually against your
            > nylon, I
            >
            > recommend having it staked out a foot or so on each side,
            > so that there
            >
            > is an air gap between the tent and the cover over most of
            > the surface
            >
            > area. This will help both structures to stay dry. If you
            > want the cover
            >
            > to stay completely clear of your nylon, you could consider
            > purchasing
            >
            > some aluminum telescoping poles at a camping store. In
            > effect, you put a
            >
            > home-made dining fly that looks medieval over your tent.
            >

            > Alternatively, just draping some period-looking fabric
            > (perhaps with
            >
            > painted designs) strategically over parts of your tent can
            > have a good
            >
            > effect as well, and is very simple to implement.
            >

            > My wife and I have been in the SCA for 18 years and own a
            > couple of
            >
            > period tents. We also use a modern tent from time to time,
            > depending on
            >
            > the event. I don't think you have to make any apologies
            > for the use of a
            >
            > modern tent -- authenticity is great, but a period tent (as
            > you rightly
            >
            > point out) is not a practical solution for everyone,
            > depending on your
            >
            > modern-world living situation and your finances. Bring your
            > nylon tent,
            >
            > wear your garb, and be welcome. :-)
            >

            > Justin
            >

            > --
            >
            > ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::>
            > <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

            > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed
            > Or two keys
            >
            > fesswise reversed sable.
            >

            > justin@...
            > http://4th.com/
            > sca/justin/

          • Stefan li Rous
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
              Anne of Canton of the Towers asked about disguising her mundane, nylon
              tent.

              <<< I am looking for help with my mundane tent. I have a Sears
              Hillary II tent about 6 yrs old and would like to cover up the blue
              and orange part of the tent and try and make it all white so it won't
              look so modern. A period tent the size I have is too expensive for me
              right now and I don't think I could put it up by myself. Also my
              nylon tent dries faster and I live in an apartment with no place to
              set up a tent to dry, so I like my nylon tent. I wanted to either try
              and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and orange with white nylon
              like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted there tent successfully,
              if so could you please let me know how you did it? >>>

              Is your current tent in two pieces? A breathable main tent with a
              waterproof rainfly? Or a single-layer waterproof tent? The problem
              with the latter is that is moisture from your breath can not escape to
              outside the tent, it will condense inside, making it moist and clammy.
              If your tent is already waterproof then painting it, which will ruin
              any breathability it already has, will cause you problems. If not,
              then painting it will probably not make it any worse.

              This is one reason that painting on canvas tents, even on medieval
              pavilions, is kept to a minimum.

              This file in the STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium does have some
              information on painting tents.
              tent-painting-msg (34K) 11/10/98 Painting and decorating tents.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-painting-msg.html

              Sheetwalls, often decorated fabric sheets or painted sheets are
              sometimes strung up around encampments at the big wars such as
              Estrella, Gulf Wars and Pennsic. You could do something around your
              own encampment, even if it only contained one tent.

              These files are in the Florilegium SCA-CAMPINMG section:
              Sheetwalls-art (12K) 12/26/00 "On the Creating of Sheet Walls"
              by Lady
              Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Sheetwalls-art.html
              sheetwalls-msg (14K) 4/ 2/07 Using sheetwalls to separate
              encampments.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/sheetwalls-msg.html

              Here are some more ideas on how to disguise a modern tent, in the
              STRUCTURES section:
              tent-dsguises-msg (23K) 8/16/05 Ideas for disguising modern tents.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-dsguises-msg.html

              The shape of some of the modern "bubble" tents isn't necessarily as
              non-period as most people think. Unfortunately, bright flourescent
              colors do scream modern.
              dometents-pic (3K) 9/21/94 German Landsknecht camp, painted
              1500-1550.
              featuring dome tents.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/dometents-pic.rtf

              A period tent does not have to be expensive. A lot of it depends upon
              how big you want it to be and whether you want a grand pavilion or
              just a medieval period sleeping place.

              Here are some files in the STRUCTURES section. Most of the files in
              the Florilegium on tents are going to be in this section.
              p-tent-const-art (23K) 9/23/98 "Building a Period Tent" by
              Geoffrey Maynard
              p-tents-msg (56K) 8/24/08 Period tents and documentation
              sources.
              pavilions-msg (140K) 2/ 8/08 The making of medieval pavilions.
              Pavilions-101-art (16K) 6/28/99 "Pavilions 101" by Lady Giovanna
              Theresa
              Battista di Firenze.

              Large pavilions can be difficult to transport but sectioned poles can
              help. A lot of it depends upon the vehicle you have. Sometimes Viking
              "ship tents" or Mongol yurts have advantages. If you aren't much of a
              sewing person, but you are good at carpentry, both of these have
              advantages of the usual medieval pavilions. But the poles,
              particularly on the ship tent can be difficult to haul.
              yurts-msg (92K) 9/24/08 Round Mongol tents also called gers.

              If you are into decadence, sometimes, like when it rains, there is
              nothing to beat simply reaching up and closing the shutters...
              tent-alt-msg (48K) 9/10/01 Alternatives to tents for SCA
              events.
              http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-alt-msg.html

              Stefan
              (Who usually sleeps at SCA events in a 17 x 17 ft. square pavilion in
              a double wood-frame bed.
              --------
            • Maria Buchanan
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                LOL.  I'll try to take a picture of it the next time I put it up and then post it in the pictures section.  BTW I love this tent!  It's an Ozark Trails so it was inexpensive.  But I swear the thing is almost as big as my bedroom.
                Maria

                On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Maria Buchanan wrote:

                > Amen and thank you Justin.

                > I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".

                > It has closets!!! We put it up the first time and the name stuck.

                > I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them

                > to the tent poles.

                > Maria

                You KNOW you can't post about something like that, and not show us

                pictures, right? We all need to see this marvel!

                Judith / no SCA name yet

                Master Albrecht Waldfurster' s Egg

                Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)

              • Svanarose
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
                  Greetings Ann

                  I too have only been SCA a few years. pennsic was my first SCA event last year. What was cool was being able to submit my name and device, the help i got from the Heralds. This last Pennsic, the Heralds gave me the wonderful news of it being passed. Awesome.

                  My origninal reason to reply was the tent issue. I want to cover my tent somewhat as well. I have been collecting blue and white fabrics and pieces so that my banners and slip cover for my tent match my kingdom. I am not sure how im gonna do this yet, but the yahoo groups have been great for information. Hope to connect at the NEXT Pennsic.

                  Svana

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                    On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:51 -0700, ann baltrush wrote:
                    > I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the
                    > entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period.

                    That's a great idea! People tend to see the part of the structure that
                    is up front, and even if you do nothing else, this will make a big
                    difference.

                    Also, if you pick the right type, your shade fly could be used by itself
                    for day-tripping events or could be used alongside a period tent if you
                    ever decide to buy one later.

                    Kind regards,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
                      Greetings, My tent is 9.5 ft by 15 ft with an adjustable height with a extra piece of nylon to divide the tent into 2 rooms and has a large blue fly that fits over the whole top of the tent.  I sleep on an army cot with an air mattress on that.  (I like camping, but also like my comfort.)  I love the size of my tent and how easy it is to dry and store.  I am an older single woman and usually camp alone unless my niece comes with me and then there is plenty of room for both of our stuff.  I would like to make it look a little more period so if my device passes I can display it along with other banners and getting rid of the blue and orange by either covering it up or painting it.  I didn't know if putting a banner across the bottom of the windows would look to stupid, but that's what I was thinking of doing because I thought it would be easier and less expensive then painting.   I would like to hang up banners for SCA, kingdom, barony and
                      my own device outside my tent especially for Pennsic.   Thanks everyone for your advice.  Ann of Towers

                      Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@ austin.rr. com