RE: [SCA Newcomers] Scribe/calligraphy questions

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
      I think I can help... or at least find the right direction.

      Calligraphy and illumination are not my specialties, though I have been known to dabble a bit in this particular art.

      'Usually'... the person creating the document will do both the lettering of the text and the illumination. As far as styles... I have seen many different styles, but the idea is to keep in within the medeival look as much as possible. If you can document the style and such... GOOD FOR YOU!!! That's fantastic. Keep the lettering as close to period styles as you can. It will give the document a more authentic look and add to the medeival experience... especially if what you are doing is an award document.

      Oh yeah... and by the way... Not all of our award scrolls have been done on paper, vellum, or parchment. I've seen embroidered cloth, painted fabric, leather, stone, metal, a stick of rattan, an ostrich egg...

      There are bunches and bunches of stuff to look at on the web. All of them are a good starting point.

      Here's the link to my home Kongdom's scribal gallery. There's some good examples to look at.

      http://scribes.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=832

      Hope that at least helped...

      Have FUN. Make Stuff!!!

      Grellan

      Mast. Grellan O'Conchobhair OL
      Kingdom of the Outlands

      EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
      Join me

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      From: judith@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:42:30 -0500
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Scribe/calligraphy questions

      Thanks so much!

      On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:34 PM, christopher chastain wrote:

      > I forwarded your questions on to a Laurel friend of mine who got her
      > laurelate for scroll work. When she replies back ill post it to the
      > list. Some folks on this list might know her, Mistress Maeva of
      > Trimaris
      >
      > Yours in Humble Service,
      > Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
      >
      > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: judith@...
      > Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:28:13 -0500
      > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Scribe/calligraphy questions
      >
      > I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request was
      > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. [snip]
      >
      > Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
        Judith,
        As far as I know, the Middle Kingdom doesn't use the photocopy and color in scrolls, but I have heard of people making scroll blanks meaning they do just the illuminations so the calligraphy can be added later for a specific award text. There is usually a need for someone to add the text later on once it is determined what the blank will be used for. Another might be to find someone who enjoys the illuminations and not so much the calligraphy that you could team up with.

        Here is the site for the Dragon Signet which is the office that handles award scrolls given out by the Kingdom.
        http://www.midrealm.org/heraldry/signet/

        If you look on the right side of that page, there will be contact info for the regional deputies. Try to contact the deputy for your area and he or she could direct you to people who can help you get started.

        This link is for the Middle Kingdom Scribes Yahoo group where you will probably find some more useful information.

        I hope these are of some help to you.

        Janet
        Falcon's Quarry, North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

        ________________________________
        Oops, my bad! I'm in the Middle Kingdom, Barony of Ayreton, Tree-Girt-
        Sea.
        Judith
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster' s Egg
      • Judith Epstein
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 2, 2009
          My comments below.

          On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Janet wrote:

          > Judith,
          > As far as I know, the Middle Kingdom doesn't use the photocopy and
          > color in scrolls, but I have heard of people making scroll blanks
          > meaning they do just the illuminations so the calligraphy can be
          > added later for a specific award text. There is usually a need for
          > someone to add the text later on once it is determined what the
          > blank will be used for. Another might be to find someone who enjoys
          > the illuminations and not so much the calligraphy that you could
          > team up with. [snip]

          Ah! This sounds more and more doable. Thank you! And thank you for the
          links as well. I know they'll be very helpful to me in my beginnings.

          By the way, I know I keep casting about here and there, lacking focus,
          rushing into everything I can find, all at once -- heraldry, scribing,
          service, yurt, tent, vardo. It's because I just have such enthusiasm
          and so many terrific choices of where to spend my energies. There
          really IS something for everyone here, and it's like being "trapped"
          in a candy store, wanting to just grab handfuls of everything and
          stuff them all into my mouth at the same time, to get the most out of
          the experience. There's so much to do here that ANYONE would be able
          to find something that made their little heart flutter. Maybe a lot of
          somethings. I don't know, as the saying goes (when it's cleaned up a
          bit), whether to freak or go blind!

          Judith
        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 2, 2009
            Judith asked about the scribal arts:
            <<< I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request was
            denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. >>>

            I don't see why it would be considered off-topic. I'd be surprised if
            the moderator denied your request if you indicated you were an SCA
            person and were interested in the scribal arts. I would try again, or
            email the moderator. If there are several, email all of them.

            <<< I know that scribes do the lettering and illuminators do the
            painting.
            I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to make
            scrolls. >>>

            Ah, making scrolls. So you want to learn parchment or paper making?
            Both of these are done in the SCA and there is some information on
            doing these in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section in the Florilegium. Oh.
            That's not what you meant? :-) You want to write on materials you get
            from elsewhere? Well, quite a lot of that is also done in the SCA,
            although very little is actually done on parchment.

            <<< That'll work if scribes do only lettering, and illuminators
            don't just color the pictures but also draw the outlines themselves.
            But if scribes have to make the pictures for illuminators to paint in,
            I don't think I'd be able to do that. Which one does the drawings
            which the illuminators color? >>>

            After you get good enough, you will sometimes be working with another
            person who will illuminate a scroll and leave some blank space for you
            to calig the legalese into, although most of the illumination and
            calligraphy in the SCA resembles that of period books of hours and not
            actual legal papers. Period legal papers and letters seldom had any
            illumination on them.

            For some info that I have collected over the past, almost 20 years, on
            calligraphy, see these files in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the
            Florilegium.
            alphabets-msg (36K) 4/26/99 Alphabets and how they've changed.
            Beg-C-a-I-lnks (16K) 2/11/05 Links to info on beginners
            calligraphy and
            Illumination by Dame Aoife Finn.
            calligraphy-msg (140K) 2/ 5/08 Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.
            callig-suppl-msg (47K) 10/15/99 Calligraphy and Illumination
            supplies.
            Herald-Scribe-art (14K) 8/19/02 "Heraldry and the Scribe" by
            Master Giles
            de Laval.
            L-Legal-Docs-art (20K) 2/ 9/08 "Large Legal Documents" by Lady
            Rebecca
            the Contrary.

            <<< Are there specific styles that must be used for scribing on official
            award scrolls, or will any beautiful manuscript style work? That is,
            does it have to be a documented, Period style ("font") or will
            anything work as long as it looks old-fashioned and lovely? >>>

            The handwriting and lettering style differed over time and place. Like
            the addition of new letters as detailed in the alphabets-msg file
            above, the scribes learn the handwriting for a particular culture and
            time. When you start working with someone, hopefully locally, they
            will probably work with you to learn an easy "hand" and you can then
            progress to others as your time and interest permits. Here are a
            couple of files in this section which talk about how the hands changed
            over time.

            Paleo-Scribes-art (25K) 9/ 5/97 "An Introduction to Palaeography for
            Scribes"
            scrpt-develop-art (57K) 6/20/00 "Societal Influences on Script
            Development"
            by Mistress Aquilanne Grace.

            <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>

            Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
            There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg dishes.

            Stefan
            --------
          • Dave Roland
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 3, 2009
              I started as a Scribe in the Midrealm.

              Judith Contact THLady Jocelyn of Lutterworth. She is the Midlands Regional Signet and is the person holding Calligraphy and Illumination Nights in your area.

              She is an excellent resource and in the interest of full disclosure is my apprentice sister.

              _All_ scrolls in the Middle Kingdom are original works of art done by the scribes. The Midrealm (AKA Middle Kingdom) does not use printer paper or pre-printed scrolls.

              I myself am a Calligraphy Scribe and have had the pleasure of working with many pre-illuminated scrolls to do court scrolls on. These pre-illuminated scrolls are called scroll blanks. Each of them is hand done original work of art.

              Enjoy your learning experience. People who stick with Calligraphy find it to be a very rewarding hobby in the SCA.

              Ian the Green.
            • Judith Epstein
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                On Oct 2, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

                > Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                > <<< I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to
                > make
                > scrolls. >>>
                >
                > Ah, making scrolls. So you want to learn parchment or paper making?

                Paper making would be fun, but what I meant was I wanted to learn to
                write scroll text. I'll try to be more clear in future.

                > For some info that I have collected over the past, almost 20 years, on
                > calligraphy, see these files in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the
                > Florilegium.
                > alphabets-msg (36K) 4/26/99 Alphabets and how they've changed.
                > Beg-C-a-I-lnks (16K) 2/11/05 Links to info on beginners
                > calligraphy and
                > Illumination by Dame Aoife
                > Finn.
                > calligraphy-msg (140K) 2/ 5/08 Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.
                > callig-suppl-msg (47K) 10/15/99 Calligraphy and Illumination
                > supplies.
                > Herald-Scribe-art (14K) 8/19/02 "Heraldry and the Scribe" by
                > Master Giles
                > de Laval.
                > L-Legal-Docs-art (20K) 2/ 9/08 "Large Legal Documents" by Lady
                > Rebecca
                > the Contrary.
                > Here are a
                > couple of files in this section which talk about how the hands changed
                > over time.
                >
                > Paleo-Scribes-art (25K) 9/ 5/97 "An Introduction to Palaeography
                > for
                > Scribes"
                > scrpt-develop-art (57K) 6/20/00 "Societal Influences on Script
                > Development"
                > by Mistress Aquilanne Grace.

                Thank you very much for the above! That'll give me something to look
                through all week.

                > <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>
                >
                > Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                > There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg
                > dishes.

                Egg, as in the very basic beginning of life. He's a Pelican, I'm only
                an egg. :)

                Judith / no SCA name yet
                Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg
                Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                  On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:25 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
                  > Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                  > <<< I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request
                  > was
                  > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. >>>
                  >
                  > I don't see why it would be considered off-topic. I'd be surprised
                  > if
                  > the moderator denied your request if you indicated you were an SCA
                  > person and were interested in the scribal arts. I would try again,
                  > or
                  > email the moderator. If there are several, email all of them.

                  Just to clarify... She was denied posting on another list, not this
                  one. Her post is perfectly acceptable on this list, because it relates
                  to newcomer information for scribal arts. :-)

                  Kind regards,

                  Justin
                  List Moderator

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                    On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 15:52 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
                    > _All_ scrolls in the Middle Kingdom are original works of art done by
                    > the scribes.

                    As a citizen of the Middle Kingdom, this never ceases to amaze me. I
                    have friends who are calligraphers and illuminators, and so I know the
                    amount of time and expense that goes into these beautiful scrolls. I am
                    privileged to have received several, and I treasure each one of them.

                    The scribes who make these scrolls seldom receive anything more in
                    return than a public "thank you" from the royalty. (I will say, the
                    Midrealm royalty for the past few reigns have been very good about
                    remembering to name and thank the scribes for each court.) Many scribes
                    do this not just "once" or "occasionally", but "constantly."

                    To me, this sort of behind-the-scenes service is an act of love of the
                    highest order, and represents the very best of what we try to be in the
                    SCA.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                      Here is the response from Mistress Maeva I proised you, shes behind in her email again as shes in full production mode on some new scrolls.

                      Not knowing which kingdom this young lady is from I'd recommend she
                      contacts the kingdom Signet Clerk to ask for requirements regarding
                      scroll production as these vary greatly from kingdom to kingdom. She
                      should also join the scribes' mailinglist for her kingdom (and I have
                      no clue as to why her subscription request for a mailinglist denied -
                      I've never heard that happen before) and find out if there're any
                      active scribes local to her group.

                      Generally speaking all talents are desired: illuminators to paint
                      artwork, calligraphers to write the words and limners to draw the
                      designs. You will find scribes who do any combination of these three,
                      some do only one and will do all three. There are plenty of materials
                      out there, both online and in print material that teach you the
                      medieval and historically accurate way of doing things. Please check
                      with your kingdom's signet as to what styles are appropriate, however,
                      since we do aspire to study and to re-create the Middle Ages, using
                      historical examples to base your artwork on and using a historically
                      accurate calligraphy style, also called a script, is always encouraged.

                      Hope this helps!

                      Cheers!
                      Maeva

                      Yours in Humble Service,
                      Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                      "What man is a man that does not try to make the world better?"
                      Kingdom of Heaven

                      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: justin@...
                      Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:35:00 -0400
                      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Scribe/calligraphy questions

                      On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:25 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:

                      > Judith asked about the scribal arts:

                      > <<< I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request

                      > was

                      > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. >>>

                      > I don't see why it would be considered off-topic. I'd be surprised

                      > if

                      > the moderator denied your request if you indicated you were an SCA

                      > person and were interested in the scribal arts. I would try again,

                      > or

                      > email the moderator. If there are several, email all of them.

                      Just to clarify... She was denied posting on another list, not this

                      one. Her post is perfectly acceptable on this list, because it relates

                      to newcomer information for scribal arts. :-)

                      Kind regards,

                      Justin

                      List Moderator

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                        Thank you so much, and thanks to Mistress Maeva. I've written the
                        Signet Clerk and will see what comes next.

                        Judith / no SCA name yet
                        Protege of Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
                        Middle Kingdom, Barony of Ayreton, Shire of Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)

                        On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:29 PM, christopher chastain wrote:

                        > Here is the response from Mistress Maeva I proised you, shes behind
                        > in her email again as shes in full production mode on some new
                        > scrolls. [snip]
                      • Dave Roland
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

                          > On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 15:52 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
                          > > _All_ scrolls in the Middle Kingdom are original works of art done by
                          > > the scribes.
                          >
                          > As a citizen of the Middle Kingdom, this never ceases to amaze me. I
                          > have friends who are calligraphers and illuminators, and so I know the
                          > amount of time and expense that goes into these beautiful scrolls. I am
                          > privileged to have received several, and I treasure each one of them.
                          >
                          > The scribes who make these scrolls seldom receive anything more in
                          > return than a public "thank you" from the royalty.\

                          *************

                          Having been a scribe in the Middle Kingdom and in Northshield, I must say that I greatly appreciate the public thank yous. I truly do. But I do have to say that the "payment" I get is the smile on the recipient's face as they walk back to their seat holding the scroll.

                          Their Majesties are the ones who chose to give the award or induct someone into an order. The person receiving it is the person who earned it by their deeds and actions. Me? I merely am the person who put pen to paper so the recipient will have a tangible memory and proof. And the smile tells me that it will be a good memory for them and in some small way, I had a part in that. It is a happy service I and other scribes provide.

                          Ian the Green, AoA, APF
                        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                            On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 19:54 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
                            > Having been a scribe in the Middle Kingdom and in Northshield, I must
                            > say that I greatly appreciate the public thank yous. I truly do. But
                            > I do have to say that the "payment" I get is the smile on the
                            > recipient's face as they walk back to their seat holding the scroll.

                            I received a scroll a couple of years ago for an A&S award, for
                            armouring. The scribe who got the illumination assignment took the time
                            to go find a photo of me on a web site. Then she illuminated the scroll
                            with an excellent rendering of me hammering rivets at a workbench! It is
                            so unbelievably cool! It took some doing, but I was really glad to
                            finally track her down at an event and thank her in person.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                              Judith replied to me with:

                              > Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                              > <<< I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to
                              > make scrolls. >>>
                              >
                              > Ah, making scrolls. So you want to learn parchment or paper making?

                              Paper making would be fun, but what I meant was I wanted to learn to
                              write scroll text. I'll try to be more clear in future.
                              -------

                              I was joking. I understood what your original question was about.

                              However, there are these two files in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the
                              Florilegium, for those who might be interested.
                              paper-msg (9K) 9/27/00 Medieval paper. Sources for
                              similar paper.
                              parchment-msg (62K) 1/16/08 Making and buying parchment.
                              substitutes.

                              Unfortunately, not a lot on making paper. Perhaps someone has written
                              or would be willing to write an for the Florilegium. I remember a
                              good, hands-on demo on making paper at Lilies War a few years ago.

                              > <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>
                              >
                              > Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                              > There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg
                              > dishes.

                              Egg, as in the very basic beginning of life. He's a Pelican, I'm only
                              an egg. :)
                              --------
                              Okay, just so you don't get hard-boiled or scrambled.

                              Stefan
                              An old egg (or was that odd...)
                              --------
                            • Judith Epstein
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 7, 2009
                                On Oct 6, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

                                >> <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>
                                >>
                                >> Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                                >> There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg
                                >> dishes.
                                >
                                > Egg, as in the very basic beginning of life. He's a Pelican, I'm only
                                > an egg. :)
                                > --------
                                > Okay, just so you don't get hard-boiled or scrambled.
                                >
                                > Stefan
                                > An old egg (or was that odd...)

                                I'm pretty sure it's too late for that. I'm already a bit scrambled. ;)

                                Judith / no SCA name yet
                                Protege to Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
                              • Dave Roland
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                  Egg yolk for tempura in paints.

                                  Egg whites for glaire.