Re: [SCA Newcomers] Scribe/calligraphy questions

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
      Quoth Judith Epstein:
      > > I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request was
      > > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. [snip]

      You might consider joining http://scascribes.ning.com/;
      pretty much anyone who can confirm they're a real person
      (or a real SCAdian) can join.

      (There's also one for heralds at http://scaheralds.ning.com/).

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
        I think I can help... or at least find the right direction.

        Calligraphy and illumination are not my specialties, though I have been known to dabble a bit in this particular art.

        'Usually'... the person creating the document will do both the lettering of the text and the illumination. As far as styles... I have seen many different styles, but the idea is to keep in within the medeival look as much as possible. If you can document the style and such... GOOD FOR YOU!!! That's fantastic. Keep the lettering as close to period styles as you can. It will give the document a more authentic look and add to the medeival experience... especially if what you are doing is an award document.

        Oh yeah... and by the way... Not all of our award scrolls have been done on paper, vellum, or parchment. I've seen embroidered cloth, painted fabric, leather, stone, metal, a stick of rattan, an ostrich egg...

        There are bunches and bunches of stuff to look at on the web. All of them are a good starting point.

        Here's the link to my home Kongdom's scribal gallery. There's some good examples to look at.

        http://scribes.outlands.org/Default.aspx?tabid=832

        Hope that at least helped...

        Have FUN. Make Stuff!!!

        Grellan

        Mast. Grellan O'Conchobhair OL
        Kingdom of the Outlands

        EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
        Join me

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        From: judith@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:42:30 -0500
        Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Scribe/calligraphy questions

        Thanks so much!

        On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:34 PM, christopher chastain wrote:

        > I forwarded your questions on to a Laurel friend of mine who got her
        > laurelate for scroll work. When she replies back ill post it to the
        > list. Some folks on this list might know her, Mistress Maeva of
        > Trimaris
        >
        > Yours in Humble Service,
        > Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
        >
        > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: judith@...
        > Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:28:13 -0500
        > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Scribe/calligraphy questions
        >
        > I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request was
        > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. [snip]
        >
        > Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg

      • Coblaith Muimnech
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
          Judith wrote:
          > . . .I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to
          > make scrolls. That'll work if scribes do only lettering, and
          > illuminators don't just color the pictures but also draw the
          > outlines themselves. But if scribes have to make the pictures for
          > illuminators to paint in, I don't think I'd be able to do that.

          This is another of those (many) questions to which the answer will
          depend at least partly on where you are. When asking questions about
          S.C.A. practice, I strongly encourage you to include that information
          in your e-mail.

          In Ansteorra, what's done by whom is entirely up to the individual
          artisan or team of artisans working on any specific project. The
          only people I know of who just color in others' drawings, however,
          are volunteers readying standard award scrolls. (Most scrolls given
          out in Ansteorra start as photocopies on high-quality paper made from
          hand-calligraphed originals with black outline drawings. They're
          painted by volunteers, then delivered to scribal officers for storage
          until they're needed <http://scribe.ansteorra.org/library/
          index.htm>. The names and dates are added to each one before it's
          given out in court.) When entirely hand-made scrolls and charters
          are commissioned, they're typically produced either by single
          individuals or by teams consisting of a calligrapher or two (who do
          all the writing) and an illustrator or two (who do everything else).

          > Are there specific styles that must be used for scribing on
          > official award scrolls, or will any beautiful manuscript style
          > work? That is, does it have to be a documented, Period style
          > ("font") or will anything work as long as it looks old-fashioned
          > and lovely?

          In Ansteorra, the hand used in any custom scroll or charter is at the
          discretion of the artisan(s) making it or the person(s) who
          commissioned it. The hand is usually documentable to a specific
          historical setting--often that of the recipient's persona--and
          consistent with the style of rest of the piece. (If the text is in
          an uncial hand, for example, the illustrations and layout might
          resemble something from the Book of Kells.) Some calligraphers will
          sometimes modify a hand to make it easier for modern Texans to read
          or to accommodate English as the language of the scroll. (For
          instance, eighth-century Irish uncial didn't include the letter "k",
          but it does appear in the standard text for a peerage scroll <http://
          heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/award_text.pdf>, so a calligrapher using
          that hand and the standard text will typically invent a letter "k"
          that stylistically matches the rest of the uncial alphabet and use
          that.) Others go to a great deal of effort to make the text
          completely historically accurate, up to and including translating it
          into the language used in the inspiration piece(s). (A Book-of-Kells-
          inspired charter might be translated to Old Irish Gaelic, for instance.)

          Those designing master scrolls that are to be reproduced and used
          throughout the Stellar Kingdom are asked to base their work on period
          exemplars, to match their calligraphic hand, layout, and
          illustrations to the appropriate period, and to include information
          on their sources when they submit their work <http://
          scribe.ansteorra.org/articles.htm> <http://scribe.ansteorra.org/
          faq.htm#a15>.

          If you aren't fortunate enough to live in Ansteorra, you might search
          for "College of Scribes" or "scribal guild" and your kingdom's name
          to find details on how things are done there. The Middle Kingdom
          <http://www.midrealm.org/signet/> and Atenveldt <http://
          www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Ghq13MGsx8w%
          3d&tabid=86&mid=1384>, for example, both have very detailed scribes'
          handbooks.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>
        • Judith Epstein
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
            On Oct 1, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Coblaith Muimnech wrote:

            > When asking questions about S.C.A. practice, I strongly encourage
            > you to include that information in your e-mail.

            Oops, my bad! I'm in the Middle Kingdom, Barony of Ayreton, Tree-Girt-
            Sea.

            > When entirely hand-made scrolls and charters are commissioned,
            > they're typically produced either by single individuals or by teams
            > consisting of a calligrapher or two (who do all the writing) and an
            > illustrator or two (who do everything else). [snip] http://scribe.ansteorra.org/articles.htm
            > [snip] http://www.atenveldt.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Ghq13MGsx8w%3d&tabid=86&mid=1384
            > [snip] http://www.midrealm.org/signet/

            Thank you for the information, and especially the links! I hope it's
            the same in the Midrealm as in Ansteorra; I might actually be able to
            do something useful, if so. Slammin'. :)

            Judith
            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
          • Janet
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2009
              Judith,
              As far as I know, the Middle Kingdom doesn't use the photocopy and color in scrolls, but I have heard of people making scroll blanks meaning they do just the illuminations so the calligraphy can be added later for a specific award text. There is usually a need for someone to add the text later on once it is determined what the blank will be used for. Another might be to find someone who enjoys the illuminations and not so much the calligraphy that you could team up with.

              Here is the site for the Dragon Signet which is the office that handles award scrolls given out by the Kingdom.
              http://www.midrealm.org/heraldry/signet/

              If you look on the right side of that page, there will be contact info for the regional deputies. Try to contact the deputy for your area and he or she could direct you to people who can help you get started.

              This link is for the Middle Kingdom Scribes Yahoo group where you will probably find some more useful information.

              I hope these are of some help to you.

              Janet
              Falcon's Quarry, North Oaken, Middle Kingdom

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2009
                My comments below.

                On Oct 1, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Janet wrote:

                > Judith,
                > As far as I know, the Middle Kingdom doesn't use the photocopy and
                > color in scrolls, but I have heard of people making scroll blanks
                > meaning they do just the illuminations so the calligraphy can be
                > added later for a specific award text. There is usually a need for
                > someone to add the text later on once it is determined what the
                > blank will be used for. Another might be to find someone who enjoys
                > the illuminations and not so much the calligraphy that you could
                > team up with. [snip]

                Ah! This sounds more and more doable. Thank you! And thank you for the
                links as well. I know they'll be very helpful to me in my beginnings.

                By the way, I know I keep casting about here and there, lacking focus,
                rushing into everything I can find, all at once -- heraldry, scribing,
                service, yurt, tent, vardo. It's because I just have such enthusiasm
                and so many terrific choices of where to spend my energies. There
                really IS something for everyone here, and it's like being "trapped"
                in a candy store, wanting to just grab handfuls of everything and
                stuff them all into my mouth at the same time, to get the most out of
                the experience. There's so much to do here that ANYONE would be able
                to find something that made their little heart flutter. Maybe a lot of
                somethings. I don't know, as the saying goes (when it's cleaned up a
                bit), whether to freak or go blind!

                Judith
              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                  <<< I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request was
                  denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. >>>

                  I don't see why it would be considered off-topic. I'd be surprised if
                  the moderator denied your request if you indicated you were an SCA
                  person and were interested in the scribal arts. I would try again, or
                  email the moderator. If there are several, email all of them.

                  <<< I know that scribes do the lettering and illuminators do the
                  painting.
                  I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to make
                  scrolls. >>>

                  Ah, making scrolls. So you want to learn parchment or paper making?
                  Both of these are done in the SCA and there is some information on
                  doing these in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section in the Florilegium. Oh.
                  That's not what you meant? :-) You want to write on materials you get
                  from elsewhere? Well, quite a lot of that is also done in the SCA,
                  although very little is actually done on parchment.

                  <<< That'll work if scribes do only lettering, and illuminators
                  don't just color the pictures but also draw the outlines themselves.
                  But if scribes have to make the pictures for illuminators to paint in,
                  I don't think I'd be able to do that. Which one does the drawings
                  which the illuminators color? >>>

                  After you get good enough, you will sometimes be working with another
                  person who will illuminate a scroll and leave some blank space for you
                  to calig the legalese into, although most of the illumination and
                  calligraphy in the SCA resembles that of period books of hours and not
                  actual legal papers. Period legal papers and letters seldom had any
                  illumination on them.

                  For some info that I have collected over the past, almost 20 years, on
                  calligraphy, see these files in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the
                  Florilegium.
                  alphabets-msg (36K) 4/26/99 Alphabets and how they've changed.
                  Beg-C-a-I-lnks (16K) 2/11/05 Links to info on beginners
                  calligraphy and
                  Illumination by Dame Aoife Finn.
                  calligraphy-msg (140K) 2/ 5/08 Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.
                  callig-suppl-msg (47K) 10/15/99 Calligraphy and Illumination
                  supplies.
                  Herald-Scribe-art (14K) 8/19/02 "Heraldry and the Scribe" by
                  Master Giles
                  de Laval.
                  L-Legal-Docs-art (20K) 2/ 9/08 "Large Legal Documents" by Lady
                  Rebecca
                  the Contrary.

                  <<< Are there specific styles that must be used for scribing on official
                  award scrolls, or will any beautiful manuscript style work? That is,
                  does it have to be a documented, Period style ("font") or will
                  anything work as long as it looks old-fashioned and lovely? >>>

                  The handwriting and lettering style differed over time and place. Like
                  the addition of new letters as detailed in the alphabets-msg file
                  above, the scribes learn the handwriting for a particular culture and
                  time. When you start working with someone, hopefully locally, they
                  will probably work with you to learn an easy "hand" and you can then
                  progress to others as your time and interest permits. Here are a
                  couple of files in this section which talk about how the hands changed
                  over time.

                  Paleo-Scribes-art (25K) 9/ 5/97 "An Introduction to Palaeography for
                  Scribes"
                  scrpt-develop-art (57K) 6/20/00 "Societal Influences on Script
                  Development"
                  by Mistress Aquilanne Grace.

                  <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>

                  Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                  There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg dishes.

                  Stefan
                  --------
                • Dave Roland
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2009
                    I started as a Scribe in the Midrealm.

                    Judith Contact THLady Jocelyn of Lutterworth. She is the Midlands Regional Signet and is the person holding Calligraphy and Illumination Nights in your area.

                    She is an excellent resource and in the interest of full disclosure is my apprentice sister.

                    _All_ scrolls in the Middle Kingdom are original works of art done by the scribes. The Midrealm (AKA Middle Kingdom) does not use printer paper or pre-printed scrolls.

                    I myself am a Calligraphy Scribe and have had the pleasure of working with many pre-illuminated scrolls to do court scrolls on. These pre-illuminated scrolls are called scroll blanks. Each of them is hand done original work of art.

                    Enjoy your learning experience. People who stick with Calligraphy find it to be a very rewarding hobby in the SCA.

                    Ian the Green.
                  • Judith Epstein
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                      On Oct 2, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

                      > Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                      > <<< I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to
                      > make
                      > scrolls. >>>
                      >
                      > Ah, making scrolls. So you want to learn parchment or paper making?

                      Paper making would be fun, but what I meant was I wanted to learn to
                      write scroll text. I'll try to be more clear in future.

                      > For some info that I have collected over the past, almost 20 years, on
                      > calligraphy, see these files in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the
                      > Florilegium.
                      > alphabets-msg (36K) 4/26/99 Alphabets and how they've changed.
                      > Beg-C-a-I-lnks (16K) 2/11/05 Links to info on beginners
                      > calligraphy and
                      > Illumination by Dame Aoife
                      > Finn.
                      > calligraphy-msg (140K) 2/ 5/08 Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.
                      > callig-suppl-msg (47K) 10/15/99 Calligraphy and Illumination
                      > supplies.
                      > Herald-Scribe-art (14K) 8/19/02 "Heraldry and the Scribe" by
                      > Master Giles
                      > de Laval.
                      > L-Legal-Docs-art (20K) 2/ 9/08 "Large Legal Documents" by Lady
                      > Rebecca
                      > the Contrary.
                      > Here are a
                      > couple of files in this section which talk about how the hands changed
                      > over time.
                      >
                      > Paleo-Scribes-art (25K) 9/ 5/97 "An Introduction to Palaeography
                      > for
                      > Scribes"
                      > scrpt-develop-art (57K) 6/20/00 "Societal Influences on Script
                      > Development"
                      > by Mistress Aquilanne Grace.

                      Thank you very much for the above! That'll give me something to look
                      through all week.

                      > <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>
                      >
                      > Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                      > There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg
                      > dishes.

                      Egg, as in the very basic beginning of life. He's a Pelican, I'm only
                      an egg. :)

                      Judith / no SCA name yet
                      Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg
                      Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
                    • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                        On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:25 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:
                        > Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                        > <<< I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request
                        > was
                        > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. >>>
                        >
                        > I don't see why it would be considered off-topic. I'd be surprised
                        > if
                        > the moderator denied your request if you indicated you were an SCA
                        > person and were interested in the scribal arts. I would try again,
                        > or
                        > email the moderator. If there are several, email all of them.

                        Just to clarify... She was denied posting on another list, not this
                        one. Her post is perfectly acceptable on this list, because it relates
                        to newcomer information for scribal arts. :-)

                        Kind regards,

                        Justin
                        List Moderator

                        fesswise reversed sable.

                        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                          On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 15:52 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
                          > _All_ scrolls in the Middle Kingdom are original works of art done by
                          > the scribes.

                          As a citizen of the Middle Kingdom, this never ceases to amaze me. I
                          have friends who are calligraphers and illuminators, and so I know the
                          amount of time and expense that goes into these beautiful scrolls. I am
                          privileged to have received several, and I treasure each one of them.

                          The scribes who make these scrolls seldom receive anything more in
                          return than a public "thank you" from the royalty. (I will say, the
                          Midrealm royalty for the past few reigns have been very good about
                          remembering to name and thank the scribes for each court.) Many scribes
                          do this not just "once" or "occasionally", but "constantly."

                          To me, this sort of behind-the-scenes service is an act of love of the
                          highest order, and represents the very best of what we try to be in the
                          SCA.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                            Here is the response from Mistress Maeva I proised you, shes behind in her email again as shes in full production mode on some new scrolls.

                            Not knowing which kingdom this young lady is from I'd recommend she
                            contacts the kingdom Signet Clerk to ask for requirements regarding
                            scroll production as these vary greatly from kingdom to kingdom. She
                            should also join the scribes' mailinglist for her kingdom (and I have
                            no clue as to why her subscription request for a mailinglist denied -
                            I've never heard that happen before) and find out if there're any
                            active scribes local to her group.

                            Generally speaking all talents are desired: illuminators to paint
                            artwork, calligraphers to write the words and limners to draw the
                            designs. You will find scribes who do any combination of these three,
                            some do only one and will do all three. There are plenty of materials
                            out there, both online and in print material that teach you the
                            medieval and historically accurate way of doing things. Please check
                            with your kingdom's signet as to what styles are appropriate, however,
                            since we do aspire to study and to re-create the Middle Ages, using
                            historical examples to base your artwork on and using a historically
                            accurate calligraphy style, also called a script, is always encouraged.

                            Hope this helps!

                            Cheers!
                            Maeva

                            Yours in Humble Service,
                            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                            "What man is a man that does not try to make the world better?"
                            Kingdom of Heaven

                            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: justin@...
                            Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:35:00 -0400
                            Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Scribe/calligraphy questions

                            On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 20:25 -0500, Stefan li Rous wrote:

                            > Judith asked about the scribal arts:

                            > <<< I tried to join the SCA scribal arts email list, but the request

                            > was

                            > denied, so I'm asking here. Sorry if it's off-topic. >>>

                            > I don't see why it would be considered off-topic. I'd be surprised

                            > if

                            > the moderator denied your request if you indicated you were an SCA

                            > person and were interested in the scribal arts. I would try again,

                            > or

                            > email the moderator. If there are several, email all of them.

                            Just to clarify... She was denied posting on another list, not this

                            one. Her post is perfectly acceptable on this list, because it relates

                            to newcomer information for scribal arts. :-)

                            Kind regards,

                            Justin

                            List Moderator

                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 5, 2009
                              Thank you so much, and thanks to Mistress Maeva. I've written the
                              Signet Clerk and will see what comes next.

                              Judith / no SCA name yet
                              Protege of Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
                              Middle Kingdom, Barony of Ayreton, Shire of Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)

                              On Oct 5, 2009, at 1:29 PM, christopher chastain wrote:

                              > Here is the response from Mistress Maeva I proised you, shes behind
                              > in her email again as shes in full production mode on some new
                              > scrolls. [snip]
                            • Dave Roland
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...> wrote:

                                > On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 15:52 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
                                > > _All_ scrolls in the Middle Kingdom are original works of art done by
                                > > the scribes.
                                >
                                > As a citizen of the Middle Kingdom, this never ceases to amaze me. I
                                > have friends who are calligraphers and illuminators, and so I know the
                                > amount of time and expense that goes into these beautiful scrolls. I am
                                > privileged to have received several, and I treasure each one of them.
                                >
                                > The scribes who make these scrolls seldom receive anything more in
                                > return than a public "thank you" from the royalty.\

                                *************

                                Having been a scribe in the Middle Kingdom and in Northshield, I must say that I greatly appreciate the public thank yous. I truly do. But I do have to say that the "payment" I get is the smile on the recipient's face as they walk back to their seat holding the scroll.

                                Their Majesties are the ones who chose to give the award or induct someone into an order. The person receiving it is the person who earned it by their deeds and actions. Me? I merely am the person who put pen to paper so the recipient will have a tangible memory and proof. And the smile tells me that it will be a good memory for them and in some small way, I had a part in that. It is a happy service I and other scribes provide.

                                Ian the Green, AoA, APF
                              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                                  On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 19:54 +0000, Dave Roland wrote:
                                  > Having been a scribe in the Middle Kingdom and in Northshield, I must
                                  > say that I greatly appreciate the public thank yous. I truly do. But
                                  > I do have to say that the "payment" I get is the smile on the
                                  > recipient's face as they walk back to their seat holding the scroll.

                                  I received a scroll a couple of years ago for an A&S award, for
                                  armouring. The scribe who got the illumination assignment took the time
                                  to go find a photo of me on a web site. Then she illuminated the scroll
                                  with an excellent rendering of me hammering rivets at a workbench! It is
                                  so unbelievably cool! It took some doing, but I was really glad to
                                  finally track her down at an event and thank her in person.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 6, 2009
                                    Judith replied to me with:

                                    > Judith asked about the scribal arts:
                                    > <<< I can't draw, but would like to learn calligraphy and learn to
                                    > make scrolls. >>>
                                    >
                                    > Ah, making scrolls. So you want to learn parchment or paper making?

                                    Paper making would be fun, but what I meant was I wanted to learn to
                                    write scroll text. I'll try to be more clear in future.
                                    -------

                                    I was joking. I understood what your original question was about.

                                    However, there are these two files in the SCRIBAL-ARTS section of the
                                    Florilegium, for those who might be interested.
                                    paper-msg (9K) 9/27/00 Medieval paper. Sources for
                                    similar paper.
                                    parchment-msg (62K) 1/16/08 Making and buying parchment.
                                    substitutes.

                                    Unfortunately, not a lot on making paper. Perhaps someone has written
                                    or would be willing to write an for the Florilegium. I remember a
                                    good, hands-on demo on making paper at Lilies War a few years ago.

                                    > <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>
                                    >
                                    > Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                                    > There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg
                                    > dishes.

                                    Egg, as in the very basic beginning of life. He's a Pelican, I'm only
                                    an egg. :)
                                    --------
                                    Okay, just so you don't get hard-boiled or scrambled.

                                    Stefan
                                    An old egg (or was that odd...)
                                    --------
                                  • Judith Epstein
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 7, 2009
                                      On Oct 6, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

                                      >> <<< Judith / Master Albrecht Waldfurster's egg >>>
                                      >>
                                      >> Egg? I believe egg whites are used to attach gold foil by scribes...
                                      >> There are also period recipes in the Florilegium for various egg
                                      >> dishes.
                                      >
                                      > Egg, as in the very basic beginning of life. He's a Pelican, I'm only
                                      > an egg. :)
                                      > --------
                                      > Okay, just so you don't get hard-boiled or scrambled.
                                      >
                                      > Stefan
                                      > An old egg (or was that odd...)

                                      I'm pretty sure it's too late for that. I'm already a bit scrambled. ;)

                                      Judith / no SCA name yet
                                      Protege to Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
                                    • Dave Roland
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 8, 2009
                                        Egg yolk for tempura in paints.

                                        Egg whites for glaire.