tent

  • ann
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
      Greetings,
      I am looking for help with my mundane tent. I have a Sears Hillary II tent about 6 yrs old and would like to cover up the blue and orange part of the tent and try and make it all white so it won't look so modern. A period tent the size I have is too expensive for me right now and I don't think I could put it up by myself. Also my nylon tent dries faster and I live in an apartment with no place to set up a tent to dry, so I like my nylon tent. I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted there tent successfully, if so could you please let me know how you did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Ann of Canton of the Towers (East Kingdom)
    • Judith Epstein
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
        On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:37 AM, ann wrote:

        > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and
        > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has anyone
        > painted there tent successfully, if so could you please let me know
        > how you did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Ann
        > of Canton of the Towers (East Kingdom)

        I haven't done this myself, but I know it's possible, having seen it
        done. If you can sew, try making a slipcover for your tent out of
        either white vinyl or white cotton (bed sheets work pretty well). Put
        a couple sheets over the tent, wrong side up, so that it's covered
        well; pin it so that it fits snugly but easily; remove it and then sew
        up the places you've pinned. Bonus points if you're able to make a
        door hole with a zipper or snaps to fit in the place where your tent's
        door goes, and if you sew on tabs that can be staked down with your
        tent stakes so the cover doesn't blow away in a breeze.
      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
          On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:37 +0000, ann wrote:
          > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and
          > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted
          > there tent successfully, if so could you please let me know how you
          > did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Ann of Canton
          > of the Towers (East Kingdom)

          I would not recommend painting the nylon tent, for two reasons:

          1. It would probably mess up the waterproofing.
          2. It would be kind of strange if you decide to use the modern tent
          in the modern world. :-)

          On the other hand, your notion of a cover is a great idea, and one that
          has been implemented successfully by many people over the years.

          Rather than having the cover fabric actually against your nylon, I
          recommend having it staked out a foot or so on each side, so that there
          is an air gap between the tent and the cover over most of the surface
          area. This will help both structures to stay dry. If you want the cover
          to stay completely clear of your nylon, you could consider purchasing
          some aluminum telescoping poles at a camping store. In effect, you put a
          home-made dining fly that looks medieval over your tent.

          Alternatively, just draping some period-looking fabric (perhaps with
          painted designs) strategically over parts of your tent can have a good
          effect as well, and is very simple to implement.

          My wife and I have been in the SCA for 18 years and own a couple of
          period tents. We also use a modern tent from time to time, depending on
          the event. I don't think you have to make any apologies for the use of a
          modern tent -- authenticity is great, but a period tent (as you rightly
          point out) is not a practical solution for everyone, depending on your
          modern-world living situation and your finances. Bring your nylon tent,
          wear your garb, and be welcome. :-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Maria Buchanan
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
            Amen and thank you Justin.
            I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".  It has closets!!!  We put it up the first time and the name stuck.  I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them to the tent poles.
            Maria

            On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 15:37 +0000, ann wrote:

            > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and

            > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted

            > there tent successfully, if so could you please let me know how you

            > did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Ann of Canton

            > of the Towers (East Kingdom)

            I would not recommend painting the nylon tent, for two reasons:

            1. It would probably mess up the waterproofing.

            2. It would be kind of strange if you decide to use the modern tent

            in the modern world. :-)

            On the other hand, your notion of a cover is a great idea, and one that

            has been implemented successfully by many people over the years.

            Rather than having the cover fabric actually against your nylon, I

            recommend having it staked out a foot or so on each side, so that there

            is an air gap between the tent and the cover over most of the surface

            area. This will help both structures to stay dry. If you want the cover

            to stay completely clear of your nylon, you could consider purchasing

            some aluminum telescoping poles at a camping store. In effect, you put a

            home-made dining fly that looks medieval over your tent.

            Alternatively, just draping some period-looking fabric (perhaps with

            painted designs) strategically over parts of your tent can have a good

            effect as well, and is very simple to implement.

            My wife and I have been in the SCA for 18 years and own a couple of

            period tents. We also use a modern tent from time to time, depending on

            the event. I don't think you have to make any apologies for the use of a

            modern tent -- authenticity is great, but a period tent (as you rightly

            point out) is not a practical solution for everyone, depending on your

            modern-world living situation and your finances. Bring your nylon tent,

            wear your garb, and be welcome. :-)

            ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
              On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Maria Buchanan wrote:

              > Amen and thank you Justin.
              > I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".
              > It has closets!!! We put it up the first time and the name stuck.
              > I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them
              > to the tent poles.
              > Maria

              You KNOW you can't post about something like that, and not show us
              pictures, right? We all need to see this marvel!

              Judith / no SCA name yet
              Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
              Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
            • ann baltrush
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                Greetings Justinos,
                I have been in SCA about 2 years and to Pennsic for the first time this year. While there I decided to submit a device and name and I am hoping if the device passes I could start to use it on my tent and so I was going to try and make my tent blend in a new better by trying to cover up the blue and orange on the tent. I am leaning towards covering it up with strips of material over the orange and blue sections of the tent. I don't want to spend a lot of money on material to cover the whole tent, but your idea was something I was thinking of doing. I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period. Also I was going to make some banners to run down the sides and along the bottom under the windows to hide the color there. Once again thank you and all who have given me advice on this matter. Aine (Ann of the Canton of the Towers).

                > > I wanted to either try and paint it or maybe cover up
                > the blue and
                >
                > > orange with white nylon like the tent is made of. Has
                > anyone painted
                >
                > > there tent successfully, if so could you please let me
                > know how you
                >
                > > did it? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
                > Ann of Canton
                >
                > > of the Towers (East Kingdom)
                >

                > I would not recommend painting the nylon tent, for two
                > reasons:
                >

                > 1. It would probably mess up the waterproofing.
                >
                > 2. It would be kind of strange if you decide to use the
                > modern tent
                >
                > in the modern world. :-)
                >

                > On the other hand, your notion of a cover is a great idea,
                > and one that
                >
                > has been implemented successfully by many people over the
                > years.
                >

                > Rather than having the cover fabric actually against your
                > nylon, I
                >
                > recommend having it staked out a foot or so on each side,
                > so that there
                >
                > is an air gap between the tent and the cover over most of
                > the surface
                >
                > area. This will help both structures to stay dry. If you
                > want the cover
                >
                > to stay completely clear of your nylon, you could consider
                > purchasing
                >
                > some aluminum telescoping poles at a camping store. In
                > effect, you put a
                >
                > home-made dining fly that looks medieval over your tent.
                >

                > Alternatively, just draping some period-looking fabric
                > (perhaps with
                >
                > painted designs) strategically over parts of your tent can
                > have a good
                >
                > effect as well, and is very simple to implement.
                >

                > My wife and I have been in the SCA for 18 years and own a
                > couple of
                >
                > period tents. We also use a modern tent from time to time,
                > depending on
                >
                > the event. I don't think you have to make any apologies
                > for the use of a
                >
                > modern tent -- authenticity is great, but a period tent (as
                > you rightly
                >
                > point out) is not a practical solution for everyone,
                > depending on your
                >
                > modern-world living situation and your finances. Bring your
                > nylon tent,
                >
                > wear your garb, and be welcome. :-)
                >

                > Justin
                >

                > --
                >
                > ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::>
                > <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

                > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable and on a chief dovetailed
                > Or two keys
                >
                > fesswise reversed sable.
                >

                > justin@...
                > http://4th.com/
                > sca/justin/

              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Anne of Canton of the Towers asked about disguising her mundane, nylon
                  tent.

                  <<< I am looking for help with my mundane tent. I have a Sears
                  Hillary II tent about 6 yrs old and would like to cover up the blue
                  and orange part of the tent and try and make it all white so it won't
                  look so modern. A period tent the size I have is too expensive for me
                  right now and I don't think I could put it up by myself. Also my
                  nylon tent dries faster and I live in an apartment with no place to
                  set up a tent to dry, so I like my nylon tent. I wanted to either try
                  and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and orange with white nylon
                  like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted there tent successfully,
                  if so could you please let me know how you did it? >>>

                  Is your current tent in two pieces? A breathable main tent with a
                  waterproof rainfly? Or a single-layer waterproof tent? The problem
                  with the latter is that is moisture from your breath can not escape to
                  outside the tent, it will condense inside, making it moist and clammy.
                  If your tent is already waterproof then painting it, which will ruin
                  any breathability it already has, will cause you problems. If not,
                  then painting it will probably not make it any worse.

                  This is one reason that painting on canvas tents, even on medieval
                  pavilions, is kept to a minimum.

                  This file in the STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium does have some
                  information on painting tents.
                  tent-painting-msg (34K) 11/10/98 Painting and decorating tents.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-painting-msg.html

                  Sheetwalls, often decorated fabric sheets or painted sheets are
                  sometimes strung up around encampments at the big wars such as
                  Estrella, Gulf Wars and Pennsic. You could do something around your
                  own encampment, even if it only contained one tent.

                  These files are in the Florilegium SCA-CAMPINMG section:
                  Sheetwalls-art (12K) 12/26/00 "On the Creating of Sheet Walls"
                  by Lady
                  Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Sheetwalls-art.html
                  sheetwalls-msg (14K) 4/ 2/07 Using sheetwalls to separate
                  encampments.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/sheetwalls-msg.html

                  Here are some more ideas on how to disguise a modern tent, in the
                  STRUCTURES section:
                  tent-dsguises-msg (23K) 8/16/05 Ideas for disguising modern tents.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-dsguises-msg.html

                  The shape of some of the modern "bubble" tents isn't necessarily as
                  non-period as most people think. Unfortunately, bright flourescent
                  colors do scream modern.
                  dometents-pic (3K) 9/21/94 German Landsknecht camp, painted
                  1500-1550.
                  featuring dome tents.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/dometents-pic.rtf

                  A period tent does not have to be expensive. A lot of it depends upon
                  how big you want it to be and whether you want a grand pavilion or
                  just a medieval period sleeping place.

                  Here are some files in the STRUCTURES section. Most of the files in
                  the Florilegium on tents are going to be in this section.
                  p-tent-const-art (23K) 9/23/98 "Building a Period Tent" by
                  Geoffrey Maynard
                  p-tents-msg (56K) 8/24/08 Period tents and documentation
                  sources.
                  pavilions-msg (140K) 2/ 8/08 The making of medieval pavilions.
                  Pavilions-101-art (16K) 6/28/99 "Pavilions 101" by Lady Giovanna
                  Theresa
                  Battista di Firenze.

                  Large pavilions can be difficult to transport but sectioned poles can
                  help. A lot of it depends upon the vehicle you have. Sometimes Viking
                  "ship tents" or Mongol yurts have advantages. If you aren't much of a
                  sewing person, but you are good at carpentry, both of these have
                  advantages of the usual medieval pavilions. But the poles,
                  particularly on the ship tent can be difficult to haul.
                  yurts-msg (92K) 9/24/08 Round Mongol tents also called gers.

                  If you are into decadence, sometimes, like when it rains, there is
                  nothing to beat simply reaching up and closing the shutters...
                  tent-alt-msg (48K) 9/10/01 Alternatives to tents for SCA
                  events.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-alt-msg.html

                  Stefan
                  (Who usually sleeps at SCA events in a 17 x 17 ft. square pavilion in
                  a double wood-frame bed.
                  --------
                • Maria Buchanan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                    LOL.  I'll try to take a picture of it the next time I put it up and then post it in the pictures section.  BTW I love this tent!  It's an Ozark Trails so it was inexpensive.  But I swear the thing is almost as big as my bedroom.
                    Maria

                    On Oct 2, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Maria Buchanan wrote:

                    > Amen and thank you Justin.

                    > I have a modern nylon tent that my friends call the "Tent Majal".

                    > It has closets!!! We put it up the first time and the name stuck.

                    > I want to find 4 long poles, put pennants on the ends and lash them

                    > to the tent poles.

                    > Maria

                    You KNOW you can't post about something like that, and not show us

                    pictures, right? We all need to see this marvel!

                    Judith / no SCA name yet

                    Master Albrecht Waldfurster' s Egg

                    Midrealm, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)

                  • Svanarose
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
                      Greetings Ann

                      I too have only been SCA a few years. pennsic was my first SCA event last year. What was cool was being able to submit my name and device, the help i got from the Heralds. This last Pennsic, the Heralds gave me the wonderful news of it being passed. Awesome.

                      My origninal reason to reply was the tent issue. I want to cover my tent somewhat as well. I have been collecting blue and white fabrics and pieces so that my banners and slip cover for my tent match my kingdom. I am not sure how im gonna do this yet, but the yahoo groups have been great for information. Hope to connect at the NEXT Pennsic.

                      Svana

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                        On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 10:51 -0700, ann baltrush wrote:
                        > I thought buying one of those canvas they use for shade set up at the
                        > entrance of the tent would help make my tent look alot more period.

                        That's a great idea! People tend to see the part of the structure that
                        is up front, and even if you do nothing else, this will make a big
                        difference.

                        Also, if you pick the right type, your shade fly could be used by itself
                        for day-tripping events or could be used alongside a period tent if you
                        ever decide to buy one later.

                        Kind regards,

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
                          Greetings, My tent is 9.5 ft by 15 ft with an adjustable height with a extra piece of nylon to divide the tent into 2 rooms and has a large blue fly that fits over the whole top of the tent.  I sleep on an army cot with an air mattress on that.  (I like camping, but also like my comfort.)  I love the size of my tent and how easy it is to dry and store.  I am an older single woman and usually camp alone unless my niece comes with me and then there is plenty of room for both of our stuff.  I would like to make it look a little more period so if my device passes I can display it along with other banners and getting rid of the blue and orange by either covering it up or painting it.  I didn't know if putting a banner across the bottom of the windows would look to stupid, but that's what I was thinking of doing because I thought it would be easier and less expensive then painting.   I would like to hang up banners for SCA, kingdom, barony and
                          my own device outside my tent especially for Pennsic.   Thanks everyone for your advice.  Ann of Towers

                          Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@ austin.rr. com