Selecting a persona

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2009
      Kristen commented:
      <<< After being around the SCA for a little over a year now, I still
      haven't created a persona yet. I just can't decide on a people,
      place, or a time. There is so much in history that I'm interested in.

      There are all levels of persona in the SCA and it often varies by
      region. To me, a "persona" is not some wacky persona story that goes
      on and on with unlikely happenings, such as being kidnapped by
      pirates, marrying a foreigner and then journeying to far lands and
      returning, etc. Highly unlikely and fantastical. Most likely done to
      explain why a 8th C. Welsh might be doing rapier and Italian feasts. I
      think this is most easily handled by some things you knew in your
      pervious life, when "poof" you found yourself in the Laurel Kingdoms
      where you learned some new skills. Afterall when you first meet
      someone in these modern days, do you start pouring out a detailed
      history of your life?

      The PERSONAS section in the Florilegium has a lot of good articles on
      how different people interpret "persona". For instance, this one is by
      Master Cariadoc:
      persona-art (14K) 11/12/96 An article on persona by Duke
      Cariadoc.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/persona-art.html

      After almost 20 years in the SCA, I can sum up my persona in about a
      paragraph. Like you, I have a lot of interests and am interested in a
      lot of different places and periods. Which an 12th C. Anglo-Norman in
      the Shire of York, would not know about.

      As far as picking a name, I do recommend finding a first name quickly.
      This keeps folks from first learning your modern name and then quickly
      having to learn a new persona name. You can change it later if needed,
      although the old name may stick around. You don't need to find a last
      name as fast. My AoA scroll, which is the first award you are likely
      to receive, says "Stefan of Bryn Gwlad" because a year after I joined
      I still didn't have a last name.

      If you don't choose a name fast enough you can get another one pinned
      on you. Ask John the Plain (Yes, "John", "Plain John") or Eve the Just
      ("I'm, just Eve").

      In addition to the PERSONAS section, I have also tried to accumulate a
      bit of information and resources about different cultures and times
      and placed them in the CULTURES section. While hardly comprehensive, I
      like to think it is a good place to check on cultures that might be of
      interest to you and it gives some resources if you think you might
      like a culture to dig a bit further.

      I also like some of the cultures mentioned in this article"
      Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02 "Some Persona Ideas" by HL Elaine de
      Montgris (known as 'Lainie).
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

      If you looked at just the SCA, you'd think the Norse all died out at
      the end of the Viking Age. I do know of one post-Viking Norse, Duke
      Gunthar of Ansteorra, but very few others compared to the number of
      Viking Norse in the SCA.

      Some people do using their clothing likes and dislikes to help them
      narrow in on their persona. I know ladies who have specifically picked
      cultures and times where women could wear pants. I've known men to
      avoid some time periods because they didn't want to wear "dresses" or
      chose other periods because they thought they looked good in tights.
      If you can't sew or don't want to spend a *lot* of money buying
      clothes, I would avoid an Elixabethan upper class persona, but a
      middle class Elizabethan persona would be cheaper and as your sewing
      skills got better you could "move into the upper class".

      <<< I'm from the Barony of Seleone, down on the Mississippi Gulf
      Coast. >>>

      I hope you will consider making Gulf Wars this next spring. It should
      be real close to you. My wife and I have made every one of them except
      the second one. In fact I've lost track of how many or what number the
      upcoming one is going to be.

      Stefan
      --------
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2009
        on you. Ask John the Plain (Yes, "John", "Plain John") or Eve the Just
        ("I'm, just Eve").<<<<

        This point is very true, if you get folks that like to hand out wacky nicknames you can get stuck with those too. I made the mistake of getting "Mudflap", I have yet to erase that from folks minds in some circles! Long story never ask!

        Yours in Humble Service,
        Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
        �To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.�

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2009
          > This point is very true, if you get folks that like to hand
          > out wacky nicknames you can get stuck with those too. I made
          > the mistake of getting "Mudflap", I have yet to erase that
          > from folks minds in some circles! Long story never ask!

          oh but i must! how did you get the name of "mudflap"? the scenarios that come to mind are frightening on SO many levels. john of antioche
        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2009
            The household that brought me in to the SCA had a tradition of giving folks nicknames at their first war. Me and another guy got named at our first war. Mine is Mudflap he who doesn't take dirt off anyone which is'nt as bad as the other guys nickname, Testicle crush refreshing drink of death. Needless to say Im not as touchy about mine.

            Yours in Humble Service,
            Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
            "Dad why is he running? Because we have to chase him. He Did'nt do anything wrong. Because he's the hero Gotham deserves but not the one it needs right now, So well hunt him. Because he can take it, Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, the Dark Knight!"

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
            From: apopka12@...
            Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 08:19:35 -0700
            Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Selecting a persona