Re: [SCA Newcomers] ill introduce myself

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
      lochlainn "fjord the ferret" Mahony said:
      <<< my chosen style of scribbling is, amongst other things, satire.
      however satire has been made illegal due to its presumed power over
      peoples' reputations. Poets are believed to have the blood of druids
      in them. this unfortunate event caused me to wander the world in
      search of nobles interested in a bit of gayety, poetry and sarcasm. >>>

      Where did you get this idea that satire was made illegal? Perhaps it
      was in a particular area, but there are period examples.

      This file in the PERFORMANCE ARTS section of the Florilegium might be
      of interest. For that matter, perhaps the other files there might be
      of interest as well.

      P-Polit-Songs-art (8K) 7/24/02 "Period Political Songs" by Baron
      Herjolffsen OP.

      I also have this large Scottish-Irish songbook:
      SI-songbook1-art (86K) 5/29/96 A Collection of Scottish and Irish
      SI-songbook2-art (72K) 9/17/00 compiled by Ioseph of Locksley.
      SI-songbook3-art (77K) 5/29/96 (part 3 of 4)
      SI-songbook4-art (86K) 5/29/96 (part 4 of 4)

      <<< i enjoy a good laugh and look forward to sharing the muse with
      fellow scribes. >>>

      There is also a SCRIBAL-ARTS section there then that you also might
      find of use.

      Do you have ferrets of your own? Or do you just act like one? :-)
      In the ANIMALS section:
      ferrets-msg (50K) 7/ 6/01 Ferrets in the SCA.and Middle Ages.
      Ferret-Basket-art (9K) 1/ 2/99 "Constructing a Ferret's Basket
      for Rabbit
      Hunting" by Pamela Hewitt, the
      Ferrets-Hunt-art (17K) 1/ 3/99 "Rabbit Hunting with Ferrets"
      by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.
      Ferets-Genets-art (14K) 1/ 4/99 "White Ferrets, Genets, Virgins And
      Unicorns" by Pamela Hewitt,
      the Harper.

    • FunG
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
        this is a wonderful break down of the names. i appreciate it.

        yes, "Ó Mathghamhna" is the more accepted irish name. i admit at this time i am not able to pronounce it, so i went with an easier version to pronounce. also, my persona is a wonderer - a poet errant. due to his wanderings, i have chosen a more Anglicized spelling/version of the name. it worked better for when crossing england into the contaminant. also, mahony is one of my family linages. my persona knows that Ó Mathghamhna is the correct spelling of the name, but he accommodates the audience. and lachlainn is kind of an inside joke for me. as i understand it, it was a word used to describe the Norsemen, "viking", invaders as in "those people from the land of the lakes". the area my persona is from was raided a lot. the entire cost got raided. so he is born in ireland, but fathered by a Norseman. he has a loving family so they kept him anyway, lol.

        and at some point, i would like to learn how to pronounce Ó Mathghamhna correctly.

        fjord mahony
        barony of caer galen
        kingdom of the outlands