ill introduce myself

  • FunG
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2009
      i am reading some good and inspiring posts.
      i too am creating my persona. i am finding ways to distinguish my daily self from my sca persona.

      one way to do that is to have distinguishing garb. so i too am looking for garb to fit my persona. i am also interested in learning more about patterns and sewing so i can make my own garb. i have made some stuff, but i want to make "nobler" and "historically accurate" garb.

      well, here is my persona. let me know if you have any suggestion or possible connections:

      i am called lochlainn Mahony. i go by fjord or "fjord the ferret". lochlainn is considered to mean "Land lake" or those from the land of lakes. my persona is a Poet errant. I come from a noble linage of poets in ireland around 1500 . I was born in Killary, County Galway, Ireland. Killary is legendary for its monastery and having the only fjord in ireland - hence the name. my chosen style of scribbling is, amongst other things, satire. however satire has been made illegal due to its presumed power over peoples' reputations. Poets are believed to have the blood of druids in them. this unfortunate event caused me to wander the world in search of nobles interested in a bit of gayety, poetry and sarcasm.

      since the roads are dangerous, i am an able swordsman and man at arms. whilst walking, i usually carry a light blade for protection. whilst in service to a lord, i pick up the heavier implements and don armor for fun, comradeship and battle.

      i enjoy a good laugh and look forward to sharing the muse with fellow scribes.

      at your service,
      lochlainn "fjord the ferret" Mahony
    • Kristen Praiswater
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
        Good to meet you!  After being around the SCA for a little over a year now, I still haven't created a persona yet.  I just can't decide on a people, place, or a time.  There is so much in history that I'm interested in.  This is a good group, I've made so many friends here and when you have questions everyone is so helpful.  I hope you have a good time with your persona, he sounds very interesting.  What kingdom do you come from?  I'm from the Barony of Seleone, down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

        Kristen

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2009
          lochlainn "fjord the ferret" Mahony wrote:
          > i too am creating my persona.

          > i am called lochlainn Mahony. . ..I come from a noble linage of
          > poets in ireland around 1500 . I was born in Killary, County
          > Galway, Ireland.

          "Lochlainn" is easily documented as a masculine Gaelic given name
          <http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Masculine/
          Lochlainn.shtml> appropriate to your period. Good choice!

          On the other hand, while it's possible that "Mahony" or some variant
          was used in the early 16th century, it would've been in an English
          context. That is, a nice Gaelic boy from Killary might've been
          called "Leghlen Mahony" or something similar by English speakers, but
          not at home, among his own people.

          Oxford University Press' _Dictionary of American Family Names_, as
          quoted by Ancestry.com <http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Mahoney-name-
          meaning.ashx>, says that "Mahoney" is Anglicized from "Ó
          Mathghamhna". "Mathghamhna" easily documented <http://
          www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Masculine/Mathgamain.shtml>,
          clan affiliation bynames are appropriate to Ireland in your period,
          and "Ó Mathghamhna" would be the standard masculine clan affiliation
          byname formed from "Mathghamhna" <http://www.medievalscotland.org/
          scotnames/quickgaelicbynames/>, so "Lochlainn Ó Mathghamhna" is quite
          a reasonable choice. The simple patronymic "Lochlainn mac
          Mathghamhna" is another option, equally reasonable.

          If you want a Gaelic name and don't like either of the "Mathghamhna"
          options, check the Medieval Names Archive guide to Irish and Manx
          names <http://s-gabriel.org/names/irish.shtml> for ideas. If you
          want an Anglicized Irish name, you'll want to try to determine what
          the English would've called someone named Lochlainn. The
          aforementioned "Leghlen" is one option <http://www.s-gabriel.org/
          names/tangwystyl/lateirish/ormond.html>; there might be others.
          You'll also want to determine, for sure, that "Mahony" or a variant
          was used in period, before you get too attached to it. (It's very
          frustrating to use a name for a year or ten, then decide you want to
          register it--for its own sake or so that you can have your own
          heraldic device or badge--and discover that you can't because it's
          ahistoric.)

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>
        • Stefan li Rous
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
            lochlainn "fjord the ferret" Mahony said:
            <<< my chosen style of scribbling is, amongst other things, satire.
            however satire has been made illegal due to its presumed power over
            peoples' reputations. Poets are believed to have the blood of druids
            in them. this unfortunate event caused me to wander the world in
            search of nobles interested in a bit of gayety, poetry and sarcasm. >>>

            Where did you get this idea that satire was made illegal? Perhaps it
            was in a particular area, but there are period examples.

            This file in the PERFORMANCE ARTS section of the Florilegium might be
            of interest. For that matter, perhaps the other files there might be
            of interest as well.

            P-Polit-Songs-art (8K) 7/24/02 "Period Political Songs" by Baron
            Hrolf
            Herjolffsen OP.
            http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/P-Polit-Songs-art.html

            I also have this large Scottish-Irish songbook:
            SI-songbook1-art (86K) 5/29/96 A Collection of Scottish and Irish
            songs,
            SI-songbook2-art (72K) 9/17/00 compiled by Ioseph of Locksley.
            SI-songbook3-art (77K) 5/29/96 (part 3 of 4)
            SI-songbook4-art (86K) 5/29/96 (part 4 of 4)

            <<< i enjoy a good laugh and look forward to sharing the muse with
            fellow scribes. >>>

            There is also a SCRIBAL-ARTS section there then that you also might
            find of use.

            Do you have ferrets of your own? Or do you just act like one? :-)
            In the ANIMALS section:
            ferrets-msg (50K) 7/ 6/01 Ferrets in the SCA.and Middle Ages.
            Ferret-Basket-art (9K) 1/ 2/99 "Constructing a Ferret's Basket
            for Rabbit
            Hunting" by Pamela Hewitt, the
            Harper.
            Ferrets-Hunt-art (17K) 1/ 3/99 "Rabbit Hunting with Ferrets"
            by Pamela Hewitt, the Harper.
            Ferets-Genets-art (14K) 1/ 4/99 "White Ferrets, Genets, Virgins And
            Unicorns" by Pamela Hewitt,
            the Harper.

            Stefan
            --------
          • FunG
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
              this is a wonderful break down of the names. i appreciate it.

              yes, "Ó Mathghamhna" is the more accepted irish name. i admit at this time i am not able to pronounce it, so i went with an easier version to pronounce. also, my persona is a wonderer - a poet errant. due to his wanderings, i have chosen a more Anglicized spelling/version of the name. it worked better for when crossing england into the contaminant. also, mahony is one of my family linages. my persona knows that Ó Mathghamhna is the correct spelling of the name, but he accommodates the audience. and lachlainn is kind of an inside joke for me. as i understand it, it was a word used to describe the Norsemen, "viking", invaders as in "those people from the land of the lakes". the area my persona is from was raided a lot. the entire cost got raided. so he is born in ireland, but fathered by a Norseman. he has a loving family so they kept him anyway, lol.

              and at some point, i would like to learn how to pronounce Ó Mathghamhna correctly.

              thanks
              fjord mahony
              barony of caer galen
              kingdom of the outlands