Stefan's Florilegium article for September

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2009
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what
      is new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World.

      I have just heard that the GeoCities free websites are going away. If
      you have such a site with SCA-type files and don't wish to move to the
      pay version, the files that you have worked so hard to produce, may
      make a good addition to the Florilegium. I am in the process of moving
      several articles on tablet weaving by Eve the Just from GeoCities to
      the Florilegium and would be happy to consider more.

      Mundanely, I am an Electronics Engineer with a specialty in designing
      and delivering board and systems level projects. Unfortunately, I'm
      still in the middle of what has been a long search for my next
      opportunity. If you are on LinkedIn and believe that I have shown any
      skills in creating and running the Florilegium that a perspective
      employer might find appealing, I would appreciate you submitting a
      recommendation for me there. My LinkedIn profile can be found at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      ==========
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
      already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find
      out when new and updated files as well as new features get added to
      the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple
      Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and also
      available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents of
      your favorite websites have been changed.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the BEVERAGES section:
      Warm-Beere-art "An aside— on Beer and English Customs"
      by THL Johnnae llyn Lewis.
      In the CLOTHING section:
      QD-Trunk-hose-art "Quick and Dirty Trunk Hose" by Don Tivar
      Moodragon.
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Horse-Games-art "Equestrian Games" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
      In the FEASTS section:
      Food-Safety-art "Food Safety in the SCA" by Lady Avelyn Grene.
      In the FOOD section:
      DYKIP-Pies-art "Did You Know its Period? Part 5: Simple
      Simon's Pies" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
      In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
      Custard-Tarts-art "The Great Custard Tart Caper" by Baroness
      Jehanne de Huguenin, OP.
      In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
      eating-plates-msg Period eating plates. Roundels.
      In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
      leather-boxes-bib A bibliography on leather boxes and leather-
      covered boxes by Master Magnus Malleus, OL.
      In the SCA-INC section:
      Award-Trivia-art "Award Trivia" by Pursuivant Domhnall na
      Moicheirghe.
      In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
      Bg-Tab-Weavng-art "Beginning Tablet Weaving" by Eve the Just.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      cucumbers-msg Medieval and period cucumbers. Recipes.
      finger-foods-msg Ideas for finger foods at feasts and events.
      ginger-msg Period use of the spice ginger.
      p-marinating-msg Period marinating of meats.
      picnic-feasts-msg Ideas for light, picnic style feasts.
      relics-msg Use of religious relics in period.
      SCA-in-books-msg Mentions of the SCA in books and magazines.
      siege-cooking-msg A cooking contest where teams are given
      min. time, ingredients to create a meal.
      torches-msg Medieval torches.
      ---
      Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2012
        Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for September detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.

        If you, your household or your local group run a website, please consider adding a link there to the Florilegium. Not only does this help people who might be interested in what the Florilegium offers find the site, but it raises the site in the Google ratings and thus might bring in more ad money to keep the site going.

        I am adding the direct links to the new files mentioned this month. Please let me know if you find this useful.

        By orders of the Society Chronicler, this article may not be published in SCA publications without removing the links to the site, which I will not allow in order to allow readers to easily find the files mentioned. So, as much as it distresses me, this article may not be published in SCA publications until further notice but please feel free to republish it in non-SCA publications.

        Thanks,
        Stefan
        -------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty-two years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files called Stefan's Florilegium.

        I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work well. I am especially interested in research papers submitted as A&S entries.

        Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two whenever you are there.

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the FEASTS section:
        Serve-H-Table-art “Serving A King’s Table” by Baroness Kay of
        Tre Asterium. Ideas for serving head table.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Serve-H-Table-art.html
        In the NEWCOMERS section:
        Do-not-Wear-art “SCA – What Not To Wear – Belts, Baldrics and
        Scarves, Oh My!” by Lord Ian the Green.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Do-not-Wear-art.html
        In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
        spice-grndng-msg Grinding spices in period and now.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-grndng-msg.html

        Here are the updated files for this month.
        Dog-Ball-msg A sport played in standard SCA armor and
        polearms, based on a game in the movie
        “Blood of Heroes”.
        spices-msg Info. on spices, sources for spices.
        p-tableware-msg Period tableware. Period references
        tents-weather-msg Various tent styles in bad weather.
        textiles-msg Medieval cloth. Silks, wool, cotton, linen.
        tourn-ideas-msg Ideas for SCA tournaments.
        travel-foods-msg Period travel foods.
        utensils-msg Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
        ---
        Copyright 2012, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

        <end>
        --------
        http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris