duct tape

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2009
      Cailin said:
      <<< Then, instead of using duct tape, use white athletic tape, which you
      can find at a sporting goods store. Its lighter, and lasts a bit
      longer in my experience. Then use a stripe of electrical or other
      colored tape, about half an inch wide, to denote your edges. If you
      need more advice or sword making, just let us know. We're all full of
      advice. Some of it is occasionally even good. >>>

      This is the first that I've heard of using this "white athletic" tape.
      It might have advantages since much of the duct tape that I've seen is
      the cheaper stuff which just has a plastic backing. The better duct
      tape has threads interwoven in a cloth-like matrix.

      Part of the fondness for duct tape has been its usual silver color
      making it look more metallic. If you have a need for other colors of
      duct tape, such as for edging, it is actually available in a wide
      variety of colors, but you may have to look a bit for some of them.

      I do have this file in the COMBAT section of the Florilegium which
      might be of use in finding other duct tape colors.
      duct-tape-msg (9K) 6/16/05 Sources for unusual colors of duct
      tape.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/duct-tape-msg.html

      Stefan
      --------
    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2009
        Hi Stephan,

        Indeed on the metallic color. When I'm feeling blingy, I use the
        chrome stuff. And the colored duct tape is easily had at walmart. Lots
        of selection.

        As far as the athletic tape goes, I've run across a few people using
        it in my travels, and first read it on Duke Bellatrix's site.

        http://www.bellatrix.org/school/appendix_b.htm

        Cailin

        I don't go through everything he does with his swords, because it
        makes a very tip heavy sword, and I prefer the balance more towards
        the hilt.