Strapping Tape?

  • warlordaster
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
      I was told my sword needed to be covered in a layer of duct taper and then a later of strapping tape. With a Different color to show were the striking surface and non striking surface are located. The problem is the only strapping tape I can find is clear and looks not very good. What I was shown looked more like athletic tape. Just kinda confused. Were can I get it and does go by another name? Thanks
    • Cailin Mac Kinnach
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
        I think you misunderstood.

        Most people wrap strapping tape, which is almost universally clear,
        around the skin of the rattan to help it last longer.

        Then they put duct tape with a strip of electrical or high contrast
        color tape over that. You can find different colors of strapping tape
        in packing shops, but this isn't really what most people do.

        My suggestion would be to to wrap a spiral of strapping tape down the
        shaft of the sword, with a tight wrapping about a 3rd of the way down
        from the tip, winding tightly, one layer, about six inches wide, as
        this is a very common striking point.

        Then, instead of using duct tape, use white athletic tape, which you
        can find at a sporting goods store. Its lighter, and lasts a bit
        longer in my experience. Then use a stripe of electrical or other
        colored tape, about half an inch wide, to denote your edges. If you
        need more advice or sword making, just let us know. We're all full of
        advice. Some of it is occasionally even good.

        Cailin

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
          Eesh, that wasn't very well written. Let me try the wrapping process again.

          Step one, after you've shaved and shapped your hilt.

          1. Starting at the tip, wrap a single spiral of strapping tape down
          the length of the sword.

          2. Make a tight spiral of strapping tape about six inches long
          starting about a 3rd of the way down the sword, from the tip to
          reinforce a common spot that receives alot of impacts.

          3. Cover the blade with duct tape or athletic tape, which I recommend.

          4. Add the stripes of contrasting colored tape to indicate the cutting edges.

          Hope that's a bit more clear!

          Cailin

          On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Cailin Mac Kinnach<cailin.sca@...> wrote:
          > I think you misunderstood.
          >
          > Most people wrap strapping tape, which is almost universally clear,
          > around the skin of the rattan to help it last longer.
          >
          > Then they put duct tape with a strip of electrical or high contrast
          > color tape over that.  You can find different colors of strapping tape
          > in packing shops, but this isn't really what most people do.
          >
          > My suggestion would be to to wrap a spiral of strapping tape down the
          > shaft of the sword, with a tight wrapping about a 3rd of the way down
          > from the tip, winding tightly, one layer, about six inches wide, as
          > this is a very common striking point.
          >
          > Then, instead of using duct tape, use white athletic tape, which you
          > can find at a sporting goods store. Its lighter, and lasts a bit
          > longer in my experience. Then use a stripe of electrical or other
          > colored tape, about half an inch wide, to denote your edges. If you
          > need more advice or sword making, just let us know. We're all full of
          > advice. Some of it is occasionally even good.
          >
          > Cailin
          >
          > On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM, warlordaster<Blackswan1999@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> I was told my sword needed to be covered in a layer of duct taper and then a
          >> later of strapping tape. With a Different color to show were the striking
          >> surface and non striking surface are located. The problem is the only
          >> strapping tape I can find is clear and looks not very good. What I was shown
          >> looked more like athletic tape. Just kinda confused. Were can I get it and
          >> does go by another name? Thanks

        • FunG
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 24, 2009
            there are two ways to apply the tape:
            in a spiral wrapping down the stick or in long strips. if you like a lighter sword, as few long strips as possible. they should be long enough to cover the entire blade side. apply by starting at the tip and running it down the side to the basket. depending on the width of the tape, i can put on two strips and the entire blade is covered and its really light. tape does add up after a while.