Re: [SCA Newcomers] Estrella and other pronunciations

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      Quoting bronwynmgn@...:

      > Hi Judith, I know you from sca-cooks.

      *snip*

      > <<3. Cedric
      > KED-rick or SED-rick? (I've heard both, by people who were named
      > Cedric, so I have to ask.) Okay, it's not really an SCA question, but
      > it's been on my mind, and I know there are linguists here.>>
      >

      > For what it's worth, I've never heard Ked-rick, and part of me
      > wonders if people are modeling it on Kel-tic as opposed to the
      > basketball team.

      Count Sir Cedric was see-drick.

      At the same time, I have a Great Uncle from the hills and hollers of
      Appalachian Virginia who *was* a Kedrick (it's a not uncommon family
      name) -- and it was spelled with a K.

      Jerusha in Meridies
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
      Division of Science and Math
    • MichelleGuardado
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Judith Epstein <judith@...> wrote:

        > 1. Estrella
        > Is it pronounced the Spanish way (ess-TRAY-ah) or the Italian way (ess-
        > TRELL-lah)? Or is there a third option that I haven't even considered?

        In the westerly regions (I live in Caid and I go to this war most years), it is pronounced ess - TRAY -ah, named for the park where the event used to be located.

        Miriel of Yale
        Nordwache, Caid