Estrella and other pronunciations

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
      1. Estrella
      Is it pronounced the Spanish way (ess-TRAY-ah) or the Italian way (ess-
      TRELL-lah)? Or is there a third option that I haven't even considered?

      2. SCAdian
      SKAY-dee-an or SKAH-dee-an?

      3. Cedric
      KED-rick or SED-rick? (I've heard both, by people who were named
      Cedric, so I have to ask.) Okay, it's not really an SCA question, but
      it's been on my mind, and I know there are linguists here.

      4. Cariadoc
      CARE-ee-ah-doc; CAR-ee-ah-doc; car-EYE-a-doc? You know, that highly
      accomplished Mohammedan chap who knows pretty much everything, as far
      as I've been able to determine.

      5. Scottish
      I said "SKOTT-ish" once and was upbraided within an inch of my life by
      a man who was highly offended that I hadn't pronounced it as "SHOTT-
      ish." Help a sister out. How is this pronounced, in Period? Was he
      just having me on?
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi Judith, I know you from sca-cooks.

        <<1. Estrella
        Is it pronounced the Spanish way (ess-TRAY-ah) or the Italian way (ess-
        TRELL-lah)? Or is there a third option that I haven't even considered?>>

        In the East, it's usually pronounced the Italian way, but very few of us actually go to it, so we could be pronouncing it wrong.

        <<2. SCAdian
        SKAY-dee-an or SKAH-dee-an?>>

        SKAY-dee-an, but I've also heard SCA pronounced as "SKAH" as in "How long have you been SCA?"

        <<3. Cedric
        KED-rick or SED-rick? (I've heard both, by people who were named
        Cedric, so I have to ask.) Okay, it's not really an SCA question, but
        it's been on my mind, and I know there are linguists here.>>

        For what it's worth, I've never heard Ked-rick, and part of me wonders if people are modeling it on Kel-tic as opposed to the basketball team.

        <<4. Cariadoc
        CARE-ee-ah-doc; CAR-ee-ah-doc; car-EYE-a-doc? You know, that highly
        accomplished Mohammedan chap who knows pretty much everything, as far
        as I've been able to determine.>>

        Mostly I hear, and I call him, Kuh-RYE-uh-doc, but I have heard some people pronounce it as Carry-a-doc.? He's never corrected my pronunciation, and people who camp with him at Pennsic pronounce it the same way I do.? He's a very nice person to hang out with, by the way; I love it when he walks up to you in the marketplace and asks if you would like to hear a story, and then tells you a lovely period tale.

        <<5. Scottish
        I said "SKOTT-ish" once and was upbraided within an inch of my life by
        a man who was highly offended that I hadn't pronounced it as "SHOTT-
        ish." Help a sister out. How is this pronounced, in Period? Was he
        just having me on?>>

        No idea how it would have been pronounce din period, and I've never heard anything but SKOTTish.

        Brangwayna Mortgan

        Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom

        Lancaster, PA

      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
          Quoting bronwynmgn@...:

          > Hi Judith, I know you from sca-cooks.

          *snip*

          > <<3. Cedric
          > KED-rick or SED-rick? (I've heard both, by people who were named
          > Cedric, so I have to ask.) Okay, it's not really an SCA question, but
          > it's been on my mind, and I know there are linguists here.>>
          >

          > For what it's worth, I've never heard Ked-rick, and part of me
          > wonders if people are modeling it on Kel-tic as opposed to the
          > basketball team.

          Count Sir Cedric was see-drick.

          At the same time, I have a Great Uncle from the hills and hollers of
          Appalachian Virginia who *was* a Kedrick (it's a not uncommon family
          name) -- and it was spelled with a K.

          Jerusha in Meridies
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
          Division of Science and Math
        • MichelleGuardado
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2009
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Judith Epstein <judith@...> wrote:

            > 1. Estrella
            > Is it pronounced the Spanish way (ess-TRAY-ah) or the Italian way (ess-
            > TRELL-lah)? Or is there a third option that I haven't even considered?

            In the westerly regions (I live in Caid and I go to this war most years), it is pronounced ess - TRAY -ah, named for the park where the event used to be located.

            Miriel of Yale
            Nordwache, Caid