Re: [SCA Newcomers] Help with my Name Please.

  • clairesiconolfi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31 5:42 AM
      Thank you for your reply =)

      > Have you read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"

      Yes, I had read that article (as well as others) and it has proved most helpful.

      > What period?

      That I'm still trying to determine. I'm not sure yet if I want to head towards late 14th Century as my husband seems to be doing or if I want to tie in my rapier combat which would mean more 16th Century. I was trying for a name that would be acceptable during both periods so that I didn't have to settle just yet.

      > The names articles on the College of Arms' site (which is where the URL you gave leads) are acceptable sources, yes.

      That's very good news, thank you.

      > The College of Arms treats all of England as a single place when
      > evaluating a submitted name to determine whether it's eligible for
      > registration.
      >
      > If you're interested in authenticity, however, you should probably
      > pick a region and look for a given name and a byname that were both
      >recorded there during the period of your choice.

      Again, very useful information so thank you.