Re: [SCA Newcomers] Help with my Name Please.

  • Coblaith Muimnech
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2009
      clairesiconolfi wrote:
      > I am fairly new to the SCA, about 3 months in and I've decided its
      > about time to start thinking about names!

      Have you read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers" <http://
      www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>? It'll help you get into
      the right mindset, and avoid most of the errors newcomers commonly make.

      > I've been working my way through the lists at http://
      > heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#england looking for
      > names I think might fit. I seem to keep coming back to Isabel. Its
      > not as proliferate as say Elizabeth but there seems to be a fair
      > smattering from multiple locations around England, so would it be
      > fair to say its a reasonable name for the period?

      What period?

      > Now, having found the name Isabel on these various list, would they
      > be considered evidence for registration purposes?

      The names articles on the College of Arms' site (which is where the
      URL you gave leads) are acceptable sources, yes.

      > Would I need to narrow down a location more?

      The College of Arms treats all of England as a single place when
      evaluating a submitted name to determine whether it's eligible for
      registration.

      If you're interested in authenticity, however, you should probably
      pick a region and look for a given name and a byname that were both
      recorded there during the period of your choice. England (like most
      countries) has a fair amount of dialectical variation, and various
      parts of it have been influenced at one time or another by close
      contact with assorted cultures. There was undoubtedly some
      divergence in their name pools as a result, though I don't think
      there're any readily-accessible analyses of those of any given era
      online.

      Coblaith Muimnech
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith.sbcglobal.net>
      <http://coblaith.net>
    • clairesiconolfi
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
        Thank you for your reply =)

        > Have you read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"

        Yes, I had read that article (as well as others) and it has proved most helpful.

        > What period?

        That I'm still trying to determine. I'm not sure yet if I want to head towards late 14th Century as my husband seems to be doing or if I want to tie in my rapier combat which would mean more 16th Century. I was trying for a name that would be acceptable during both periods so that I didn't have to settle just yet.

        > The names articles on the College of Arms' site (which is where the URL you gave leads) are acceptable sources, yes.

        That's very good news, thank you.

        > The College of Arms treats all of England as a single place when
        > evaluating a submitted name to determine whether it's eligible for
        > registration.
        >
        > If you're interested in authenticity, however, you should probably
        > pick a region and look for a given name and a byname that were both
        >recorded there during the period of your choice.

        Again, very useful information so thank you.