Help with my Name Please.

  • clairesiconolfi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2009
      Hello...

      I am fairly new to the SCA, about 3 months in and I've decided its about time to start thinking about names!

      I am mostly leaning towards an English persona although I'm not certain about a time period yet. As such I am mostly looking at names that seem to span a couple-of-few centuries.

      I've been working my way through the lists at http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#england looking for names I think might fit. I seem to keep coming back to Isabel. Its not as proliferate as say Elizabeth but there seems to be a fair smattering from multiple locations around England, so would it be fair to say its a reasonable name for the period? Earliest mention I saw was 1238 in Devon with various mentions in the 14th, 15th and 16th Centuries.

      Now, having found the name Isabel on these various list, would they be considered evidence for registration purposes? Would I need to narrow down a location more?

      I thank you for any advice.
    • Coblaith Muimnech
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2009
        clairesiconolfi wrote:
        > I am fairly new to the SCA, about 3 months in and I've decided its
        > about time to start thinking about names!

        Have you read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers" <http://
        www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>? It'll help you get into
        the right mindset, and avoid most of the errors newcomers commonly make.

        > I've been working my way through the lists at http://
        > heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html#england looking for
        > names I think might fit. I seem to keep coming back to Isabel. Its
        > not as proliferate as say Elizabeth but there seems to be a fair
        > smattering from multiple locations around England, so would it be
        > fair to say its a reasonable name for the period?

        What period?

        > Now, having found the name Isabel on these various list, would they
        > be considered evidence for registration purposes?

        The names articles on the College of Arms' site (which is where the
        URL you gave leads) are acceptable sources, yes.

        > Would I need to narrow down a location more?

        The College of Arms treats all of England as a single place when
        evaluating a submitted name to determine whether it's eligible for
        registration.

        If you're interested in authenticity, however, you should probably
        pick a region and look for a given name and a byname that were both
        recorded there during the period of your choice. England (like most
        countries) has a fair amount of dialectical variation, and various
        parts of it have been influenced at one time or another by close
        contact with assorted cultures. There was undoubtedly some
        divergence in their name pools as a result, though I don't think
        there're any readily-accessible analyses of those of any given era
        online.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith.sbcglobal.net>
        <http://coblaith.net>
      • clairesiconolfi
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2009
          Thank you for your reply =)

          > Have you read "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"

          Yes, I had read that article (as well as others) and it has proved most helpful.

          > What period?

          That I'm still trying to determine. I'm not sure yet if I want to head towards late 14th Century as my husband seems to be doing or if I want to tie in my rapier combat which would mean more 16th Century. I was trying for a name that would be acceptable during both periods so that I didn't have to settle just yet.

          > The names articles on the College of Arms' site (which is where the URL you gave leads) are acceptable sources, yes.

          That's very good news, thank you.

          > The College of Arms treats all of England as a single place when
          > evaluating a submitted name to determine whether it's eligible for
          > registration.
          >
          > If you're interested in authenticity, however, you should probably
          > pick a region and look for a given name and a byname that were both
          >recorded there during the period of your choice.

          Again, very useful information so thank you.