Re: [SCA Newcomers] Education in the Middle Ages

  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2009
      On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 19:50 -0400, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > Village officials who couldn't write or read could none the less do
      > enough math, and use marks on a tally stick to keep track of the grain
      > and animals produced on the manor and render an exact account to the
      > lord several times a year - and be able to figure money well enough to
      > determine whether he owed the lord money or the other way around, and
      > exactly how much money.

      The knowledge of mathematics also depended on cultural context. For
      example, the Arab cultures invented much of our numbering system and
      higher mathematics, including a new mathematic called "al-gabr" (named
      after the treatise "Al-Kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī hīsāb al-ğabr
      wa’l-muqābala" (Arabic for "The Compendious Book on Calculation by
      Completion and Balancing"). This was written by Muhammad ibn Mūsā
      al-Khwārizmī, a Persian mathematician circa 820 CE.

      The "al-gabr" is not, as I once thought, part of the mathematician's
      name, but rather is the name of the mathematical operation of moving an
      equation term across the equal sign while negating it, for instance:

      x + 20 = 3x (original equation)
      x = 3x - 20 (al-gabr step)
      -2x = -20 (al-muqabala step)
      x = 10 (dividing both sides by -2 to get the answer)

      The notion of symbolic logic is an elegant leap of intellect. Early
      mathematical systems could perform concrete calculations but could not
      express abstract relationships between quantities. According to
      Wikipedia, the roots of algebra go back to the Babylonians. However,
      during the intervening times not all cultures had the abstraction
      concepts. Even today, there are people who can do computations very well
      but whose brains just don't grasp abstract symbolic logic -- in the same
      way that *my* brain doesn't grasp music or artistic creativity. :-)
      We're all wired differently.

      (I have an interest in this topic because my persona traded his
      inheritance rights to his father's estate for tuition to study al-jabr
      and astronomy in the Arab lands during one of the brief intervals when
      we Byzantines weren't at war with them.)

      Another important mathematical innovation that was not culturally
      universal was the notion of place value. The Roman numeral system, for
      example, has only a primitive left-or-right concept of place value. VI
      means six, and IV means four, but they didn't have the concept of a base
      number such as our decimal system. Computations of large quantities are
      extremely cumbersome without a place-value (radix) system. Again, the
      Babylonians had this, but later cultures like the Romans often did not.

      The other often-overlooked mathematical breakthrough was the concept of
      zero, as a number like any other rather than as the absence of a number.
      The notion that you could use a symbol for "nothing" as part of a
      calculation dates back to 9th century India, though earlier cultures
      (including, once again, the Babylonians) had concepts that *almost* got
      there. The key concept is that zero is a number like any other, that can
      be included in calculations to generalize mathematical rules.

      As an interesting side note, although modern computers treat zero as
      just another number, we have had to go back to the medieval concept of a
      different symbol to represent a placeholder for "something that should
      have been a number but isn't". For example, when a computer program
      tries to calculate 35/0, this produces an error. However, even though an
      error message might be issued to a log or displayed to the user, you
      still have to put *something* into the memory slot for the answer. The
      Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) defined a
      standard that includes special "NaN" (Not a Number) symbols that can be
      used for situations like this. Essentially, they mark a memory location
      as containing "invalid data" so that later calculations won't rely on
      these data items as being real numbers.

      The difference between modern and early medieval thought is that we
      treat zero as a number but retain the concept of a placeholder for
      things that truly *aren't* numbers, such as the result of division by
      zero. In early medieval times, zero was thought of as being somehow not
      a real number, because you couldn't have "something" that represented
      "nothing". Again, it is a leap in intellect to understand the difference
      between the symbol for a number and the abstract concept of "number".

      Very interesting thread -- thanks to our resident historical scholars
      for some very enlightening posts!

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/