Re: [SCA Newcomers] Vehichle advice: I need a SchlepMobile

  • Maria Buchanan
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
      Under the back end, like where the storage is.  I think.  I'll check tomorrow and let you know.
      Maria

      From: Ziddinaaitzumar@ comcast.net < Ziddinaaitzumar@ comcast.net >

      To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 3:34 PM

      The mini-vans suggested by Matthew Baker sounded pretty good...  Whatever you do, check with "Consumer Reports" before you buy - and there should be a whole catalog of "Consumer Reports" available FOR FREE at your local library...  "Consumer Reports" also rates USED cars; some people are not aware of that...

      We've always (well, almost always - see my comments about the Honda CR-V) consulted them for our vehicle choices, and it's saved us THOUSANDS of dollars on repair - lack of repair - bills.  The first and primary category we look at is the "frequency of repairs" and "cost of repairs" categories - something like that...  Whatever you buy, you don't want it breaking down by the road - that is the most expensive (and infuriating) aspect of owning a car.

      I owned a 1987 Honda Accord Lxi Hatchback that I dearly loved.  That thing got GREAT gas mileage, and could haul 8' poles with the trunk CLOSED...  'Course, that meant only one passenger...  But whatever you do, DON'T buy the Honda CR-V - engine oil fires, gas tank situated only 4" - 6" from the surface of the road, and directly below the passengers in the back seat - I had one, didn't research it as thoroughly as I should have, and got rid of it as fast as I could due to the possibility of oil fire and location of the gas tank.

      Toyota makes their version of the CR-V, but the gas tank is not nearly as poorly located as on the Honda CR-V...  WHATEVER you buy, either crawl all over that vehicle before you buy or take a good mechanic buddy along to look it over for you...

      Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!