RE: [SCA Newcomers] Schlepmobile -- Thanks!

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
      Hello Judith,

      I don't know much about car brands, but I do know a little about making sure
      things will fit.
      When you go looking for a car, there are some things you need to know and
      some things you need to take with you.
      The biggest thing we carry is the rigid golf case carrying the rapiers.
      You need to know the dimensions of the biggest thing you will be carrying in
      your vehicle - not just the length, as we found out, when trying to get the
      case into the back of some of the vehicles - they were wide enough at some
      point, but that width varied so we could not get the golf case into the back
      without putting a seat down.
      You will need to bring either a tape measure and those dimensions, or the
      actual item, to try fitting it into the vehicle.

      The longest thing we carry is a pole arm - 7'!
      We found that we could slide it down the driver's side of our 2005 Ford
      Explorer, but that makes it so that the passenger behind the driver must
      climb across from the passenger side - doable, but annoying.
      The 2009 Ford Explorer does not have the width to fit the golf case - we
      checked!

      We had to buy a car in May, and went from dealership to dealership with our
      gear, checking for which car would hold all of our stuff.
      We ended up with a Toyota FJ Cruiser - it's a tight fit, and if we are
      bringing archery gear, we can't see out of the back at all - but it does
      hold all of the stuff!
      The other car that would have worked was the Toyota Highlander, but that was
      a little more money.

      Both of those cars get better gas mileage than the Explorer, but not by a
      whole lot.
      Plus they all have 4 wheel drive, which means we are less likely to get
      stuck in the mud, as so many did at Pennsic this year.
      Since many events have us parking on grass, it's a consideration.

      Just remember to do your homework, and bring the largest item, or the
      dimensions and a tape measure, to make sure your stuff will fit.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
        Oh, also so you know, the CR-V has Real Time 4 wheel drive, which is basically all wheel drive.  I can tell you I did not get stuck in the 6 inches of mud that resulted from a 2 day rain at an event.  And there were Pickup trucks that were getting stuck in that.
        Maria

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
          Sounds like you were at Pennsic too, Maria! After seeing what i did with stuck vehicles up to their axles in mud, i left my SUV sit in place for 6 days running. Wasnt even gonna try.

          Svana

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Maria Buchanan <scarlettmb@...> wrote:

          > Oh, also so you know, the CR-V has Real Time 4 wheel drive, which is basically all wheel drive.  I can tell you I did not get stuck in the 6 inches of mud that resulted from a 2 day rain at an event.  And there were Pickup trucks that were getting stuck in that.
          > Maria

        • Maria Buchanan
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
            LOL no that was an event here in Houston TX after an especially bad rain storm that lasted a total of 3 days.  It was NOT fun.  Oh and high persona, Italian Ren.  Luckily my dress was cotton.  Easy to wash.
            Maria

> [...]

            > We had to buy a car in May, and went from dealership to dealership with our

            > gear, checking for which car would hold all of our stuff.

            > We ended up with a Toyota FJ Cruiser - it's a tight fit, and if we are

            > bringing archery gear, we can't see out of the back at all - but it does

            > hold all of the stuff!

            > The other car that would have worked was the Toyota Highlander, but that was

            > a little more money.

            > Both of those cars get better gas mileage than the Explorer, but not by a

            > whole lot.

            > Plus they all have 4 wheel drive, which means we are less likely to get

            > stuck in the mud, as so many did at Pennsic this year.

            > Since many events have us parking on grass, it's a consideration.

            > Just remember to do your homework, and bring the largest item, or the

            > dimensions and a tape measure, to make sure your stuff will fit.

          • Janet
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
              Don't forget about trailers! We bought a small trailer off craig's list just before Pennsic and it made our packing SO much easier. The ability to tow even a small trailer can make a smaller more fuel economical car have plenty of room to haul people and gear. Also, luggage racks for car top carriers and attaching long items like spears and polearms come in quite handy.

              I hope this helps.
              Janet

              ________________________________
              I'll be so glad to get more advice if there is any, but I want to say
              thanks for all the help to everyone who has posted or emailed
              privately. This is so much more helpful than trying to ask my family.
              They do know cars, but who don't know much about SCAdian schlepping
              needs. I haven't bought or owned a vehicle since 1992, and that was a
              1974 Opel Manta, so you can imagine how lost I'd feel without all your
              help. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!
            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
                On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 13:26 -0700, Janet wrote:
                > Don't forget about trailers! We bought a small trailer off craig's
                > list just before Pennsic and it made our packing SO much easier. The
                > ability to tow even a small trailer can make a smaller more fuel
                > economical car have plenty of room to haul people and gear. Also,
                > luggage racks for car top carriers and attaching long items like
                > spears and polearms come in quite handy.

                Whatever you buy, definitely get a trailer hitch installed.

                If you don't want to pull a trailer, consider one of the hitch bar
                platforms. I have a trailer for Pennsic but just bought one of the
                platforms for weekend events. It's about 24x60 inches in size and holds
                circa 400 pounds if evenly distributed. Cost was about $70. They're
                available at Quality Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply Company, Harbor
                Freight, etc.

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • Judith Epstein
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
                  On Aug 18, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Janet wrote:
                  > Don't forget about trailers! We bought a small trailer off craig's
                  > list just before Pennsic and it made our packing SO much easier. The
                  > ability to tow even a small trailer can make a smaller more fuel
                  > economical car have plenty of room to haul people and gear. Also,
                  > luggage racks for car top carriers and attaching long items like
                  > spears and polearms come in quite handy.
                  >
                  > I hope this helps.
                  > Janet

                  Not so much. As I said earlier, though it's probably long gone by now,
                  I can really only buy ONE vehicle (finances plus parking space are
                  extremely limited), so it really has to be an all-in-one. No trailer,
                  no cute-fuel-efficient-car plus big-honking-schlepmobile. Just the one
                  schlepmobile is going to have to do it for me.

                  Also, I'm short, and even with a ladder, would be hard pressed to get
                  the big stuff into and out of a car-top carrier or off of a luggage
                  rack. Plus, the ladder that would be tall enough to be useful would be
                  too big for a vehicle unless the vehicle itself was big enough that I
                  wouldn't even need the luggage rack).

                  Judith / no SCA name yet
                • Kyla
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
                    It sounds like Justin's idea of the tow-hitch luggage rack may be the way to
                    go for you.
                    We have one, and it makes hauling things like tools and other heavy gear
                    much easier - plus it is fairly flat and stores in minimal space - indoors,
                    not a parking space.

                    We got ours at Pep Boys Automotive, and they are available on line, as well.
                    http://www.u-sav.com/garagestoragedirect/index.php?l=product_list&c=271

                    That may make a smaller, more fuel efficient car more feasable for you.
                    The only thing to remember is to pack the back of the vehicle BEFORE putting
                    the cargo carrier on! (-:
                    (Just speaking from experience!)

                    Tabitha Pennywarden
                    Ravenslake, Midlands
                    Middle Kingdom

                  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 18, 2009
                      Oooh, I LUV this advice!  Great ideas!!!   Me - I'm being pushed in the opposite direction - I'm currently the 'not-so-proud' owner of a 2002 Acura Rs-X with six-on-the-floor and a 'spoiler'....

                      My old 1987 Honda Accord had better pick-up than this dead turtle...  And this is supposedly what the 'street racers' use...   Anyhoo, enough whining...

                      It's basically a 'one-camel' car...  So, I've sized down the dimensions of my not-yet-constructed tent, figured out how to travel with less, and - hopefully - I will have enough room for all of my stuff...

                      I still miss my little old Honda 1987 Honda Accord hatchback...  That would go at least 375 to 425 miles on ONE tank (12-14 gallons) of gas...  Dimwit hubby didn't want to spend $3,000 to fix up that little sweetheart; insisted that we get a "NEW" car - that crappy 2004 Honda CR-V...  Paid something like $22,000 for a piece of junk that I got rid of after 6 months....  Whoops.  Whining again...  I've just sized my load down, instead of looking for something bigger.  But then, I'm a bit of a loner - don't usually travel with other people to SCA events, 'cause then I don't have the freedom to take off when I want to.

                      Judith's list does sound pretty good, though.  And again - great idea about taking stuff along and testing how much the vehicle can haul!!  Ziddina

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 19, 2009
                        On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 15:56 -0500, Kyla wrote:
                        > We have one, and it makes hauling things like tools and other heavy
                        > gear
                        > much easier - plus it is fairly flat and stores in minimal space -
                        > indoors,
                        > not a parking space.

                        Or under the car, if you are careful about pulling into and out of the
                        parking space. Center the platform and align its longer dimension with
                        the longer dimension of the vehicle.