Re: [SCA Newcomers] Vehichle advice: I need a SchlepMobile

  • Maria Buchanan
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 17, 2009
      Ziddinia,
      What year CR-V did you buy?
      I have NEVER had a problem with mine.  I love it.  Mine is the last year they made the seats all fold out into a bed.  It's wonderful.  And it came with a little table in it too.  Of course I can never get to it, because my car is always full of SCA gear.  LOL.
      Anyway, I've never had a problem with mine.  Regular maintenance is all I've ever done to it.  And it's a 2001.  It's 8 years old now.
      Great vehicle.  And an amazing amount of space in it if you only have 2 people in the car.
      Maria

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
        Judith, last year we packed my poor mid size KIA & if one of us had sneezed we would have blown the windows out, we even left stuff home.  This year not so much on the camping especially since I took a fall but that's ok.  We are going to pay off the KIA & go buy a pickup truck with a canopy.  We are going to stack all of out camping stuff in one stack to see how much we have & how much space we will actually need.
         Hugs & Kisses,
        Trish

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
          Judith asked:

          <<< I'm slowly looking around for the right vehicle. Like most people, I
          love good gas mileage and reliability. My chief use will be schlepping
          to and from the grocery store once a week; other than that, I really
          don't have much use for a vehicle. >>>

          Lol. What I've noticed through my years in the SCA is that the longer
          someone is in the SCA, the bigger their vehicle gets. I've seen a lot
          of people that enter the SCA with a sub-compact. Then they trade it in
          for a bigger car. Then they have to have something bigger. A pickup or
          an SUV. And for a few, like Matthew, they move on up to buses. :-)
          Another solution is to buy a trailer. Some people rather than buying a
          trailer will rent a trailer for events such as Gulf Wars or Pennsic.

          A Florilegium file on the subject. In the TRAVEL section:
          SCA-transport-msg (26K) 1/24/08 Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
          transportation.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-transport-msg.html

          (And I'm as guilty as others. Started out with a Toyota Corolla, then
          added a trailer. Went to an early Gulf Wars with four people in that
          car and our gear. Now my wife and I end up stuffing a Honda mini-van
          with roof carrier pretty full to go to the same event. Things like a
          17 x 17 ft. pavilion, wooden double bed, tables, chairs, rugs, several
          footlockers, my class supplies. Now if I just had room for that
          clothes rack. And the wooden wheelbarrow, once I fix it, and...)

          For a yurt, it is often the poles and the outside wooden slats that go
          on the roof rack. They are often fairly easy to lift or shove up
          there. The heavy canvas goes inside. (Got a file on yurts, too :-) )

          <<< If I
          figure out how to make something that's worth selling at the longer
          events (where there's selling on days other than Saturday, when I
          can't sell), I'll have to schlep that along, too.>>>

          The prohibition on selling on Saturday may be a problem, since that is
          the main day of many SCA events. However, it is possible to sell at
          just the big SCA events such as Pennsic and Gulf Wars. This file in
          the COMMERCE section might be of interest:
          merchanting-msg (64K) 6/29/07 Merchanting in the SCA.
          http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchants-msg.html

          <<< Oh, and parking it should be legal in the city of Chicago. >>>

          Ummm. yes. But "easy" and "legal" aren't the same thing. :-)

          Stefan
          --------
        • Judith Epstein
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
            On Aug 18, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
            > Judith asked:
            >
            > <<< If I figure out how to make something that's worth selling at
            > the longer events (where there's selling on days other than
            > Saturday, when I can't sell), I'll have to schlep that along, too.>>>
            >
            > The prohibition on selling on Saturday may be a problem, since that
            > is the main day of many SCA events. However, it is possible to sell
            > at just the big SCA events such as Pennsic and Gulf Wars. This file
            > in the COMMERCE section might be of interest: merchanting-msg (64K)
            > 6/29/07 Merchanting in the SCA. http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchants-msg.html

            Right, this part of the information I did find, and yes, the majority
            of SCA events take place when I can't buy, sell, trade, sew, weave,
            knit, spin, dye, carry, write... almost anything that I'd normally
            want to do to volunteer, in fact, is forbidden for me at normal
            events. I'm figuring I'll do all my volunteering at Pennsic and in
            between events (soon as I know what in-between stuff there is, that I
            could be capable of doing). Likewise with any selling I might do in
            the future -- only on events that span at least four days (Friday to
            Monday of a long weekend, perhaps), so I would have Sunday to do my
            business.

            On the plus side, I know very well that I can make meals on Friday to
            serve to those who may need them on Saturdays. :)

            Judith
          • christopher chastain
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
              Interesting thread, got a friend who bought a old used school bus. Ripped out alot of the back seats leaving about 4 rows of seats and the rest is storage space, his household loads the bus up to the gills and also the top. They all pile in and chip in on the gas. If you got alot of folks go in together say a household this is a good idea as well. Saves everyone gas wear and tear on their vehicles and space is not really a concern. Just make it into a large party vehicle and let the good times roll on your way to events! Obviously this is not for everyone in every situation.

              Yours in Humble Service,
              Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
              "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing!"

              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              From: judith@...
              Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:01:48 -0500

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
                  Under the back end, like where the storage is.  I think.  I'll check tomorrow and let you know.
                  Maria

                  From: Ziddinaaitzumar@ comcast.net < Ziddinaaitzumar@ comcast.net >

                  To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com