Vehichle advice: I need a SchlepMobile

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 17, 2009
      I'm slowly looking around for the right vehicle. Like most people, I
      love good gas mileage and reliability. My chief use will be schlepping
      to and from the grocery store once a week; other than that, I really
      don't have much use for a vehicle.

      That is, except for SCAdian adventures. For that, right now all I need
      to bring is two to four people including myself, a couple of tents,
      cooking gear, furnishings... You know, standard stuff for medieval
      camping. However, eventually I'm going to want to be able to either
      pack a rather huge yurt inside (NOT on a tall, out-of-reach roof
      rack), or -- if all my lottery dreams come true -- tow a vardo or
      TinyHouse (tumbleweedhouses.com, modified for medieval use). If I
      figure out how to make something that's worth selling at the longer
      events (where there's selling on days other than Saturday, when I
      can't sell), I'll have to schlep that along, too.

      I have no idea how much all these things will weigh. I have no idea
      how much it will all take up, because right now I'm such a rank
      beginner at the medieval life. I just know that I can only buy one
      vehicle, and it needs to do what I need it to do: schlep my medieval
      life without breathing hard, and schlep the groceries without needing
      to refuel on the way back home (it's a mile from my apartment). Oh,
      and parking it should be legal in the city of Chicago.

      Advice? Please?

      Judith / no SCA name yet
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 17, 2009
        Judith,
         though I live in the UK, I've just tackled exactly the transport problem you quote, by buying a 10-year-old, very-low-mileage,  Ford 2.5ltr turbo-Diesel, 17-seater mini-bus; and taking out 11 of the seats, thus leaving me with a huge loading space behind the second row of 3 seats.

        This type of vehicle will carry everything you list, plus 5 passengers and the driver. My mini-bus returns me 33mpg going to events in the UK.
        You must have this Class of vehicle available to you in the USA, surely?
         I would have thought at least one of the US Vehicle Makers will produce a Vehicle for the mini-bus market, in several different engine packages, and several different body-lengths?

        In service to the medieval Dream [and getting to events with minimum hassles]
        Matthew Baker,
        West Dragonshire, Insulae Draconis, Drachenwald.

      • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 17, 2009
          The mini-vans suggested by Matthew Baker sounded pretty good...  Whatever you do, check with "Consumer Reports" before you buy - and there should be a whole catalog of "Consumer Reports" available FOR FREE at your local library...  "Consumer Reports" also rates USED cars; some people are not aware of that...

          We've always (well, almost always - see my comments about the Honda CR-V) consulted them for our vehicle choices, and it's saved us THOUSANDS of dollars on repair - lack of repair - bills.  The first and primary category we look at is the "frequency of repairs" and "cost of repairs" categories - something like that...  Whatever you buy, you don't want it breaking down by the road - that is the most expensive (and infuriating) aspect of owning a car.

          I owned a 1987 Honda Accord Lxi Hatchback that I dearly loved.  That thing got GREAT gas mileage, and could haul 8' poles with the trunk CLOSED...  'Course, that meant only one passenger...  But whatever you do, DON'T buy the Honda CR-V - engine oil fires, gas tank situated only 4" - 6" from the surface of the road, and directly below the passengers in the back seat - I had one, didn't research it as thoroughly as I should have, and got rid of it as fast as I could due to the possibility of oil fire and location of the gas tank.

          Toyota makes their version of the CR-V, but the gas tank is not nearly as poorly located as on the Honda CR-V...  WHATEVER you buy, either crawl all over that vehicle before you buy or take a good mechanic buddy along to look it over for you...

          Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 17, 2009
            Ziddinia,
            What year CR-V did you buy?
            I have NEVER had a problem with mine.  I love it.  Mine is the last year they made the seats all fold out into a bed.  It's wonderful.  And it came with a little table in it too.  Of course I can never get to it, because my car is always full of SCA gear.  LOL.
            Anyway, I've never had a problem with mine.  Regular maintenance is all I've ever done to it.  And it's a 2001.  It's 8 years old now.
            Great vehicle.  And an amazing amount of space in it if you only have 2 people in the car.
            Maria

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
              Judith, last year we packed my poor mid size KIA & if one of us had sneezed we would have blown the windows out, we even left stuff home.  This year not so much on the camping especially since I took a fall but that's ok.  We are going to pay off the KIA & go buy a pickup truck with a canopy.  We are going to stack all of out camping stuff in one stack to see how much we have & how much space we will actually need.
               Hugs & Kisses,
              Trish

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
                Judith asked:

                <<< I'm slowly looking around for the right vehicle. Like most people, I
                love good gas mileage and reliability. My chief use will be schlepping
                to and from the grocery store once a week; other than that, I really
                don't have much use for a vehicle. >>>

                Lol. What I've noticed through my years in the SCA is that the longer
                someone is in the SCA, the bigger their vehicle gets. I've seen a lot
                of people that enter the SCA with a sub-compact. Then they trade it in
                for a bigger car. Then they have to have something bigger. A pickup or
                an SUV. And for a few, like Matthew, they move on up to buses. :-)
                Another solution is to buy a trailer. Some people rather than buying a
                trailer will rent a trailer for events such as Gulf Wars or Pennsic.

                A Florilegium file on the subject. In the TRAVEL section:
                SCA-transport-msg (26K) 1/24/08 Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
                transportation.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/TRAVEL/SCA-transport-msg.html

                (And I'm as guilty as others. Started out with a Toyota Corolla, then
                added a trailer. Went to an early Gulf Wars with four people in that
                car and our gear. Now my wife and I end up stuffing a Honda mini-van
                with roof carrier pretty full to go to the same event. Things like a
                17 x 17 ft. pavilion, wooden double bed, tables, chairs, rugs, several
                footlockers, my class supplies. Now if I just had room for that
                clothes rack. And the wooden wheelbarrow, once I fix it, and...)

                For a yurt, it is often the poles and the outside wooden slats that go
                on the roof rack. They are often fairly easy to lift or shove up
                there. The heavy canvas goes inside. (Got a file on yurts, too :-) )

                <<< If I
                figure out how to make something that's worth selling at the longer
                events (where there's selling on days other than Saturday, when I
                can't sell), I'll have to schlep that along, too.>>>

                The prohibition on selling on Saturday may be a problem, since that is
                the main day of many SCA events. However, it is possible to sell at
                just the big SCA events such as Pennsic and Gulf Wars. This file in
                the COMMERCE section might be of interest:
                merchanting-msg (64K) 6/29/07 Merchanting in the SCA.
                http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchants-msg.html

                <<< Oh, and parking it should be legal in the city of Chicago. >>>

                Ummm. yes. But "easy" and "legal" aren't the same thing. :-)

                Stefan
                --------
              • Judith Epstein
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
                  On Aug 18, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
                  > Judith asked:
                  >
                  > <<< If I figure out how to make something that's worth selling at
                  > the longer events (where there's selling on days other than
                  > Saturday, when I can't sell), I'll have to schlep that along, too.>>>
                  >
                  > The prohibition on selling on Saturday may be a problem, since that
                  > is the main day of many SCA events. However, it is possible to sell
                  > at just the big SCA events such as Pennsic and Gulf Wars. This file
                  > in the COMMERCE section might be of interest: merchanting-msg (64K)
                  > 6/29/07 Merchanting in the SCA. http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/merchants-msg.html

                  Right, this part of the information I did find, and yes, the majority
                  of SCA events take place when I can't buy, sell, trade, sew, weave,
                  knit, spin, dye, carry, write... almost anything that I'd normally
                  want to do to volunteer, in fact, is forbidden for me at normal
                  events. I'm figuring I'll do all my volunteering at Pennsic and in
                  between events (soon as I know what in-between stuff there is, that I
                  could be capable of doing). Likewise with any selling I might do in
                  the future -- only on events that span at least four days (Friday to
                  Monday of a long weekend, perhaps), so I would have Sunday to do my
                  business.

                  On the plus side, I know very well that I can make meals on Friday to
                  serve to those who may need them on Saturdays. :)

                  Judith
                • christopher chastain
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
                    Interesting thread, got a friend who bought a old used school bus. Ripped out alot of the back seats leaving about 4 rows of seats and the rest is storage space, his household loads the bus up to the gills and also the top. They all pile in and chip in on the gas. If you got alot of folks go in together say a household this is a good idea as well. Saves everyone gas wear and tear on their vehicles and space is not really a concern. Just make it into a large party vehicle and let the good times roll on your way to events! Obviously this is not for everyone in every situation.

                    Yours in Humble Service,
                    Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing!"

                    To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                    From: judith@...
                    Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:01:48 -0500

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 18, 2009
                        Under the back end, like where the storage is.  I think.  I'll check tomorrow and let you know.
                        Maria

                        From: Ziddinaaitzumar@ comcast.net < Ziddinaaitzumar@ comcast.net >

                        To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com