Re: [SCA Newcomers] looking for words of wisdom....again

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6 4:32 AM
      Since most of us here are newcomers, we're not likely to have much
      information about this. However, I will pass it on to the SCA Heralds
      email list (I'm an extreme newbie there, too) and see if they've got
      answers for you. Good luck with your name choices!

      Judith / no SCA name yet

      On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Cory Treece wrote:

      > I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a
      > "your an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.
      >
      > I have a dilemma....I have picked a Norman persona living in Sicily
      > in the 12th century. A little bit of backstory, I was raised by my
      > grandfather from the Northlands in which Norman ancestors hale from
      > (haven't exactly decided where yet) because my father was a soldier
      > and left for war. When I reached adulthood I set off searching for
      > him, which landed me in Sicily. Ok now that I've spit all that out,
      > I've also researched one of grandparents family names (De Mahoun)
      > and found that it comes from Norman origin. Which is one of the
      > reasons for my choice in persona. Now here comes the BUT, I'm very
      > partial to the first name Cornielous (Cornielous De Mahoun), which
      > I've found has been found in Northern Germania and even as early as
      > the Roman period. Does any of this sound at all feasible???
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6 7:17 AM
        Quoth "Elizabeth Walpole":
        > I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a "your
        > an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.

        This week and last is the Pennsic War in AEthelmearc, which
        means that a huge majority of SCAdians are away from email
        access. So don't despair that you haven't gotten an answer
        yet, probably you will when people start trickling back.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6 8:50 AM
          On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 20:17 -0700, Cory Treece wrote:
          > I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a
          > "your an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.

          M'Lord,

          I'm sorry for the delay. I don't have the knowledge to personally answer
          your question, but I can let you know why no one else has. Last week and
          this week, many SCA folk are at Pennsic War, camping without Internet
          access. You'll probably get a response early next week. :-)

          Kind regards and welcome,

          Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
        • Cory Treece
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7 7:07 AM
            Let me first say thank you, for the advise and guidance. I do realize that most are away right now, I guess jealousy manifested in impatience, lol. But thank you to those home such as I. I will look into the sites and possible alternatives.

            Cory.....I don't know what my name is yet.

            ________________________________
[...]

            ------------ --------- --------- ------

            The college of heralds tries to discourage a name from two different
            cultures (i.e. one half from one culture and one half from another) so you
            may encounter problems when you come to register your name. To make your
            life easier in the long run I would suggest you try to find something
            similar from one culture, either make it entirely German or entirely
            French/Norman (you will find it easier if you broaden it to the whole of
            France not just Normandy). Your persona story is entirely your own business
            and is not required to be in any way relevant to your name, your name only
            has to be internally consistent. Have a look at the official SCA heraldry
            pages http://heraldry. sca.org/heraldry /laurel/names. html and the Academy of
            St Gabriel http://www.s-gabriel.org/ to see if you can find either a French
            name that sounds like Cornelius or a German name that sounds like De Mahoun.
            The next step if you can't find something on either of those sites is to ask
            your local group herald if they can help you find something (there's still
            much more information in books than on the web when it comes to medieval
            heraldry).
            HTH
            Elizabeth
            Elizabeth Walpole | Elizabeth Beaumont