RE: [SCA Newcomers] looking for words of wisdom....again

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2009
      From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Cory Treece
      Sent: Thursday, 6 August 2009 1:17 PM
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] looking for words of wisdom....again

      I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a "your
      an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.

      I have a dilemma....I have picked a Norman persona living in Sicily in the
      12th century. A little bit of backstory, I was raised by my grandfather from
      the Northlands in which Norman ancestors hale from (haven't exactly decided
      where yet) because my father was a soldier and left for war. When I reached
      adulthood I set off searching for him, which landed me in Sicily. Ok now
      that I've spit all that out, I've also researched one of grandparents family
      names (De Mahoun) and found that it comes from Norman origin. Which is one
      of the reasons for my choice in persona. Now here comes the BUT, I'm very
      partial to the first name Cornielous (Cornielous De Mahoun), which I've
      found has been found in Northern Germania and even as early as the Roman
      period. Does any of this sound at all feasible???

      ------------------------------------

      The college of heralds tries to discourage a name from two different
      cultures (i.e. one half from one culture and one half from another) so you
      may encounter problems when you come to register your name. To make your
      life easier in the long run I would suggest you try to find something
      similar from one culture, either make it entirely German or entirely
      French/Norman (you will find it easier if you broaden it to the whole of
      France not just Normandy). Your persona story is entirely your own business
      and is not required to be in any way relevant to your name, your name only
      has to be internally consistent. Have a look at the official SCA heraldry
      pages http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names.html and the Academy of
      St Gabriel http://www.s-gabriel.org/ to see if you can find either a French
      name that sounds like Cornelius or a German name that sounds like De Mahoun.
      The next step if you can't find something on either of those sites is to ask
      your local group herald if they can help you find something (there's still
      much more information in books than on the web when it comes to medieval
      heraldry).
      HTH
      Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Walpole | Elizabeth Beaumont
      http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/
    • Judith Epstein
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
        Since most of us here are newcomers, we're not likely to have much
        information about this. However, I will pass it on to the SCA Heralds
        email list (I'm an extreme newbie there, too) and see if they've got
        answers for you. Good luck with your name choices!

        Judith / no SCA name yet

        On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Cory Treece wrote:

        > I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a
        > "your an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.
        >
        > I have a dilemma....I have picked a Norman persona living in Sicily
        > in the 12th century. A little bit of backstory, I was raised by my
        > grandfather from the Northlands in which Norman ancestors hale from
        > (haven't exactly decided where yet) because my father was a soldier
        > and left for war. When I reached adulthood I set off searching for
        > him, which landed me in Sicily. Ok now that I've spit all that out,
        > I've also researched one of grandparents family names (De Mahoun)
        > and found that it comes from Norman origin. Which is one of the
        > reasons for my choice in persona. Now here comes the BUT, I'm very
        > partial to the first name Cornielous (Cornielous De Mahoun), which
        > I've found has been found in Northern Germania and even as early as
        > the Roman period. Does any of this sound at all feasible???
      • Sara L Uckelman
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
          Quoth "Elizabeth Walpole":
          > I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a "your
          > an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.

          This week and last is the Pennsic War in AEthelmearc, which
          means that a huge majority of SCAdians are away from email
          access. So don't despair that you haven't gotten an answer
          yet, probably you will when people start trickling back.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2009
            On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 20:17 -0700, Cory Treece wrote:
            > I sent this a few days ago....and haven't got one answer. Not even a
            > "your an idiot".....so I'm sending it again.

            M'Lord,

            I'm sorry for the delay. I don't have the knowledge to personally answer
            your question, but I can let you know why no one else has. Last week and
            this week, many SCA folk are at Pennsic War, camping without Internet
            access. You'll probably get a response early next week. :-)

            Kind regards and welcome,

            Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
          • Cory Treece
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 7, 2009
              Let me first say thank you, for the advise and guidance. I do realize that most are away right now, I guess jealousy manifested in impatience, lol. But thank you to those home such as I. I will look into the sites and possible alternatives.

              Cory.....I don't know what my name is yet.