Stefan's Florilegium files for August

  • Stefan li Rous
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2009
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World.

      I have just heard that the GeoCities free websites are going away. If
      you have such a site with SCA-type files and don't wish to move to the
      pay version, the files that you have worked so hard to produce, may
      make a good addition to the Florilegium. I am in the process of moving
      several articles on tablet weaving by Eve the Just from GeoCities to
      the Florilegium and would be happy to consider more.

      My standard policy is that the copyright remains with the author and I
      will accept updates or removal requests at any time. So you don't have
      to wait until you have that "perfect" article. You can update it as
      you learn more. In the meantime, folks can be learning from your paper
      and you might get some good, useful feedback. Even if your article has
      been previously published elsewhere, I'm happy to consider it. Not
      everyone around the Known World has seen your kingdom's A&S issue or
      your local group's newsletter. I'm happy to give credit to the
      publication where an article was first published by adding a notation
      to an article.

      Several months ago I added an RSS feed to the Florilegium so readers
      could get ongoing, immediate updates for the Florilegium. This does
      take a fair amount of work each time a file is updated. If you are
      using this feature, please let me know so I know whether to spend the
      time to continue creating it.

      Thanks,
      Stefan
      -----------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I have added an RSS feed for the Florilegium website. If you are
      already reading RSS feeds, please add the Florilegium RSS feed to find
      out when new and updated files as well as new features get added to
      the website. If you are unfamiliar with RSS, or Real Simple
      Syndication, it is a method built into many web browsers, and also
      available as a separate tool, which alerts you when the contents of
      your favorite websites have been changed.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the CHILDREN section:
      SG-SCA-Youth-art "Survival Guide for an SCA Youth" by Lady
      Gormlaith Bebbin Kathleen HRothgarsdottir.
      In the CLOTHING section:
      dagging-art "Dag on It!" by THL Giles fitz Alan.
      In the DANCE section:
      The-Pavan-art "A Brief Study of the Pavan" by THL Michaela
      de La Chesnaye des Bois.
      In the (new) EQUESTRIAN section:
      Horse-Barding-art "Introduction to Horse Barding"
      by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
      Int-Equestran-art "Introduction to Equestrian Activities in
      the SCA" by Lady Lyonet Lamoureux.
      In the FOOD section:
      DYKIP-Frid-Fd-art "Did You Know its Period? Part 4: Fried
      Foods" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
      DYKIP-Sweets-art "Did You Know its Period? Part 3: Satisfying
      Your Sweet Tooth" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
      In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
      fruitcakes-msg Period fruitcakes. Recipes.
      In the FOOD-UTENSILS section:
      amphoras-msg Conical clay storage containers used in
      Classical times and into the Middle Ages.
      In the PEOPLE AND PLACES section:
      Machiavelli-art "On Niccolò Machiavelli and His Tradition"
      by James Northfolke.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      apples-msg Period apples and apple recipes.
      armorers-lst List of and reviews of SCA armorers.
      basketweaving-msg Medieval basketweaving.
      beverages-NA-msg Non-alcoholic beverages.
      brd-manchets-msg Small bread loaves of the finest white flour.
      camp-showers-msg Camp shower ideas for outside SCA events.
      canning-msg Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
      dance-msg SCA and period dancing.
      dayboards-msg SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day meals.
      Middle-hist-msg Histories of the Middle Kingdom.
      pregnancy-msg Pregnancy in period. Handling it in the SCA.
      puddings-msg Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
      rec-tim-pray-msg Period recipes using prayers for timing.
      sauerkraut-msg Period sauerkraut and pickled cabbage.
      ---
      Copyright 2009, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
        Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

        Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for August detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

        I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

        If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web version of this article, please email me. I've not been producing this version since it didn't seem anyone was using it, but if there is a desire for it, I can produce it again.

        If you would like a quick and easy way to know when any files have been updated or a new file has been added to the Florilegium, then subscribe to the Florilegium RSS feed. Most of the modern browsers now support this feature. If you do use this service, I'd appreciate a quick email letting me know. It takes a fair amount of time to create these and I have no way of knowing whether this feature is being used or not.

        Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. Unfortunately, the ad revenue has been falling, even though more files are getting added each month. So if you enjoy the Florilegium and find it useful, please get in the habit of clicking on an ad each time you are there. It really makes a big difference in the ad income and thus the ability to keep the Florilegium site going. At around a half dozen ad clicks a day, that is barely enough to keep the site going.

        Thanks,
        Stefan

        ---------
        A Blending of the Past and Present

        Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

        I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.

        The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

        Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

        THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

        Here are the new files for this month:
        In the CRAFTS section:
        Intaglio-Gems-art "Intaglio: Sculpture in Reverse (or: Hey! My
        jewelry does impressions!)" by Lady Rekon of Saaremaa.
        Beg-Pwtr-Cast-art "Soapstone Pewter Casting" by Baroness Giliana
        Attewatyr, OL. (Beginning pewter casting)
        In the CULTURES section:
        Persia-msg History and culture of period Persia.
        In the FOOD section:
        egg-whites-msg What to do with extra egg whites.
        veg-hrb-juice-msg Obtaining vegetable and herb juice.
        In the FOOD-BREADS section:
        breadcrumbs-msg Bread crumbs for use in recipes.
        In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
        garlic-sauces-msg Various period garlic sauces. Recipes.
        In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
        carrots-msg Medieval and period carrots. Colors.
        In the NEWCOMERS section:
        Thrifty-Anach-art "The Thrifty Anachronist: The Handbook" by
        Lady Mathilda Harper. Thrift stores for
        inexpensive SCA clothing.
        In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
        flower-waters-msg Period flower waters. Making them. Recipes.

        Here are some of the updated files for this month:
        comfits-msg Period candied spices and seeds. Recipes.
        fd-France-msg Food of medieval France. References.
        ice-chests-msg Using ice chests at SCA events. Disguises.
        Italy-msg Italian culture, families. Medieval P.o.I.
        p-kitchens-msg Period kitchens and kitchen staff.
        rice-msg Period rice. Recipes.
        root-veg-msg Medieval and period root vegetables.
        sauces-msg Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
        snails-msg Eating of snails in period. Recipes.
        thickening-msg Use of period food thickening agents.
        West-hist-msg Histories of the West Kingdom.
        ---
        Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

        <end>
        --------