Re: [SCA Newcomers] Crystal-Joy: Garb

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi, Crystal-Joy!

      There are a few different styles of clothing that might suit your
      needs. I don't know how much you've already learned about Indian
      traditional clothing, so I apologize if you're already aware of these
      and if this message is redundant.

      Have you looked into salwar kameez? (loose pajama-style trouser or
      harem pant with a long tunic on top, usually worn with a huge scarf
      known as a dupatta) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salwar_kameez

      What about lehenga choli? (loose pajama-style trouser or skirt with a
      matching undershirt such as those worn with saris, sometimes worn with
      a dupatta)

      There are also pirate women who wore trousers, I'm told; Arab women,
      who wear a slightly different cut of salwar kameez (with or without an
      over-abaya or jilbab); Persian women's attire, which often involves a
      loose trouser beneath a dress (doesn't get rid of the dress idea, but
      does eliminate the thigh chafe, which is my chief concern).

      Judith

      On Jul 30, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Crystal-Joy wrote:

      > I am definitely a pants-wearing type of girl and although I am
      > pretty sure I am going to create a persona of Indian origin, I don't
      > like the traditional garb of the women of that era.
      >
      > Would it be acceptable to tweek historical Indian garb so that it
      > still looks period (and is comfortable for me to wear) but isn't
      > quite historically accurate?
    • Crystal-Joy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2009
        First of all thank you for the very kind welcome!

        Since my post I have actually completely changed my mind with regards to my persona's heritage. =P I have actually decided to go with my own personal heritage which is Portuguese. Thank you for all for all of the great information about the Indian clothing, though! As far as wearing trousers, I figured that I would sew my own bodices in the style of Medieval Portuguese/Spanish gowns and wear them with pants and tall boots. I'm sure its not historically accurate, and I do plan on wearing dresses as well actually seeing as they are so gorgeous!

        My husband warned me about the "garb nazis" as he put it. Haha. I will be sure to ignore them. =D

        Thank you again for the welcome and the information!