advice on picking persona

  • Janice
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 28, 2009
      Hi all,

      I would really like to be able to pick out a persona
      based on the style of clothing that I like to wear.
      My problem with that is that I don't know yet what
      my option are. Could anyone point me toward a good
      pictoral resource that shows the different eras and
      historical geographical areas and the type of clothes
      that go with each? My goal is to be able to point
      to an outfit and say "I want my persona to be someone
      who would be likely to wear 'that' outfit" So, I
      first need to find the clothes I like, then find out
      where and when that outfit was likely to be found,
      then research names that might have gone with the
      era and geographical region.

      You get the idea????

      If it helps any (if not, ignore this) I am about
      90% French in origin. If I can actually find
      something I like in the French eras, I would
      be likely to gravitate towards that before any
      other areas. If French clothing makes me want
      to retch whenever I see it, I can easily be
      persuaded to abandon my heritage, though.

      Thanks
      Janice W
    • Elizabeth Walpole
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 28, 2009
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 28, 2009
          Janice W wrote:
          > I would really like to be able to pick out a persona based on the
          > style of clothing that I like to wear.. . .Could anyone point me
          > toward a good pictoral resource that shows the different eras and
          > historical geographical areas and the type of clothes that go with
          > each?

          Unfortunately, while many a newcomer has hoped for one, so far as I
          know nobody has put such a list together, yet.

          There are a fair number of photos of clothing appropriate to a
          variety of periods and places among the MedCos galleries <http://
          slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5>. It's hardly
          comprehensive (representing only what those who've chosen to join the
          group and upload their photos have happened to want to share), but it
          is a place to start.

          Many of the pages to which the Atlantian A&S Links on Costuming and
          Clothing lead include photos of particular styles <http://
          moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?
          action=displaycat&catid=10>. It could take a while to go through
          them all, but once you identify a period and place that interest you
          they might prove very useful in leading you to further details about
          them.

          > If I can actually find something I like in the French eras, I would
          > be likely to gravitate towards that before any other areas.

          I'd start there, then. Look at the French clothing section in the
          Atlantian A&S Links, send your favorite search engine out looking for
          "French garb S.C.A." or "French clothing historic", etc. If you
          aren't happy with anything you find that way, you can later expand
          your parameters.

          Coblaith Muimnech
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          <http://coblaith.net>
        • Sara
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2009
            The best advice I can offer (having recently - and currently still devloping my persona) is to just make some simple basic garb (t-tunic) and start attending events. Look at what people are wearing around you & when something really catches your eye, ask that person about it. (SCA people almost ALWAYS love to share what they know & what they're wearing).

            The t-tunic is great because it covers SO many of the years through the middle ages. And you don't have to worry about wasting it. If you find a time period & location you like, chances are a few simple alterations will transform your t-tunic into the approprate look. (T-tunics get more form fitting the later the date gets).

            Also, there is less distiction in earlier time periods compared with later. As you move into the later time periods, you have the Italian Ren, Tudor/Elizabethan, Burgundian, that all look extravagant and different.

            One more thing, before you decided on a fashion time/location try it out. There is no sense it choosing Tudor, only to find you can't stand wearing corsets, or sewing with those styles.

            Don't worry, I've been in the SCA 3-years now, and have still barely begun to get my persona together. I know where I want her to go (sort of) but I'm still trying out other things. I love trying the different styles myself. (and I love trying to sew/create them).

            YIS
            Gheile

            "All truth passes through three stages:
            First, it is ridiculed;
            Second, it is violently opposed; and
            Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
            ~Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

            http://daeuse.wordpress.com/
          • Judith Epstein
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 29, 2009
              Persona via fashion -- I love it! Another good idea is to borrow
              extensively from your 'local' Gold Key, the garb loaning service that
              is present at most SCA events. When you pick out a dress/tunic/trouser/
              hat/whatever that you like, ask the chatelain(e) what area and time
              period it represents. When you start getting a feel for that area and
              time period, do a bit more research.

              From what I've had a chance to notice, Gold Key provides very simple
              things such as a plain chemise, tunic, or trouser, sometimes a belt.
              These are the things that were worn by everyone from peasants to lower
              middle class. The more detailed, fitted, time-specific, and area-
              specific things are really for those of middle-middle, upper-middle,
              merchant, and upper classes. The more detail you're seeing in the
              costume galleries online, the wealthier the persona that would wear
              such things. Broke people all over the world, then as now, wear the
              simplest things available, because they're so much cheaper. Also,
              they're easier to make, leaving more time in which a person can work
              to earn money to keep their families alive. So at first, just go for
              "generic peasant," until you get an idea of a wealthier look you want
              to sport.

              Judith
            • Maria Buchanan
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29, 2009
                LOL When I started in the SCA, I was not the most ... accomplished ... seemstress.  (I'm trying to boost my ego here.  I was really BAD.)
                I chose my first persona (which has gone by the wayside now) by they kind of clothes I could MAKE.  Simple tunics and Hell's Gates are so much easier to make that that full Italian Ren.  (I've had my first Italian Ren made for me and she gave me a pattern.  I'm starting on my next one in a little while, as soon as I'm done making my Viking that I absolutely HAVE to have before October.)
                So Janice, what you may want to ask yourself if you can't afford to buy ready made clothing, is what can you make as opposed to what do you like.
                However, if you want my advice as far as looking at the kind of clothing ... there's a book that has the fashions from about 500 to at least 1600 in it from all over the world.  I'd suggest looking into that book (I can't remember the name of the book - Anyone? I'd know it if I heard it.) and see what you like and then decide on your persona.
                Maria

                > I would really like to be able to pick out a persona based on the
                > style of clothing that I like to wear.. . .Could anyone point me
                > toward a good pictoral resource that shows the different eras and
                > historical geographical areas and the type of clothes that go with
                > each?

                Unfortunately, while many a newcomer has hoped for one, so far as I
                know nobody has put such a list together, yet.

                There are a fair number of photos of clothing appropriate to a
                variety of periods and places among the MedCos galleries <http://
                slumberland. org/moodle/ course/view. php?id=5> . It's hardly
                comprehensive (representing only what those who've chosen to join the
                group and upload their photos have happened to want to share), but it
                is a place to start.

                Many of the pages to which the Atlantian A&S Links on Costuming and
                Clothing lead include photos of particular styles <http://
                moas.atlantia. sca.org/wsnlinks /index.php?
                action=displaycat& catid=10> . It could take a while to go through
                them all, but once you identify a period and place that interest you
                they might prove very useful in leading you to further details about
                them.

                > If I can actually find something I like in the French eras, I would
                > be likely to gravitate towards that before any other areas.

                I'd start there, then. Look at the French clothing section in the
                Atlantian A&S Links, send your favorite search engine out looking for
                "French garb S.C.A." or "French clothing historic", etc. If you
                aren't happy with anything you find that way, you can later expand
                your parameters.

                Coblaith Muimnech
                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>
                <http://coblaith. net>

              • christopher chastain
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 29, 2009
                  M'Lady no one can be as bad a seamstress as me, I got frustrated and used my heavy weapons skills to make garb! Have duct tape and fabric I had a set of garb! Put duct on seams on the inside so you could'nt see it, lasted for 4 events believe it or not. Anyone that can make a sewing machine work properly is better than me.

                  Yours in Humble Service,
                  Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov
                  "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing!"

                  To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                  > I would really like to be able to pick out a persona based on the
                  > style of clothing that I like to wear.. . .Could anyone point me
                  > toward a good pictoral resource that shows the different eras and
                  > historical geographical areas and the type of clothes that go with
                  > each?

                  Unfortunately, while many a newcomer has hoped for one, so far as I
                  know nobody has put such a list together, yet.

                  There are a fair number of photos of clothing appropriate to a
                  variety of periods and places among the MedCos galleries <http://
                  slumberland. org/moodle/ course/view. php?id=5> . It's hardly
                  comprehensive (representing only what those who've chosen to join the
                  group and upload their photos have happened to want to share), but it
                  is a place to start.

                  Many of the pages to which the Atlantian A&S Links on Costuming and
                  Clothing lead include photos of particular styles <http://
                  moas.atlantia. sca.org/wsnlinks /index.php?
                  action=displaycat& catid=10> . It could take a while to go through
                  them all, but once you identify a period and place that interest you
                  they might prove very useful in leading you to further details about
                  them.

                  > If I can actually find something I like in the French eras, I would
                  > be likely to gravitate towards that before any other areas.

                  I'd start there, then. Look at the French clothing section in the
                  Atlantian A&S Links, send your favorite search engine out looking for
                  "French garb S.C.A." or "French clothing historic", etc. If you
                  aren't happy with anything you find that way, you can later expand
                  your parameters.

                  Coblaith Muimnech
                  Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>
                  <http://coblaith. net>

                • Susan Farmer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 29, 2009
                    > Janice W wrote:
                    >> I would really like to be able to pick out a persona based on the
                    >> style of clothing that I like to wear.. . .Could anyone point me
                    >> toward a good pictoral resource that shows the different eras and
                    >> historical geographical areas and the type of clothes that go with
                    >> each?

                    It's not perfect: It's Victorian, and there's not a lot of geographic
                    information included, and in many cases details are wrong; but I'd
                    look at Braun and Schneider. It covers a lot of history. Once you
                    look at enough period artwork, you can figure out which painting it is
                    that you're looking at. Some of the redrawings are fairly good --
                    others, not so much.

                    And it's online.
                    http://www.pillagedvillage.com/gramsend.html
                    *or*