  • Sara L
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
      >>Posted by: "Judith Epstein" judith@...   ipstenit
      >>Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm (PDT)
      >>How does one get to be a herald?

      It has been my experience that herals are ALWAYS in high demand and need.  By simply stating that you want to be a herald, generally makes you a herald.

      Out last baronial herald found out his position via the Yahoo group.  Somehow he was named the barional herald simply because he enjoy doing heraldry things.

      Sara L. / Gheile
      "All truth passes through three stages:
      First, it is ridiculed;
      Second, it is violently opposed; and
      Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
      ~Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

      http://daeuse.wordpress.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/daeuse
      http://www.myspace.com/daeuse

    • Judith Epstein
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
        Wow. That's very different from what I knew while attending my, oh,
        4-5 events during early/mid 90s in An Tir. Being a herald there was a
        huge deal; they only accepted a few who were already tried-and-proven
        long-time members of the SCA. I wonder, have the times changed, or is
        it just the area that's different?

        Judith / nobody here but us chickens

        On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Sara L wrote:

        > >>Posted by: "Judith Epstein" judith@... ipstenit
        > >>Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm (PDT)
        > >>How does one get to be a herald?
        >
        > It has been my experience that herals are ALWAYS in high demand and
        > need. By simply stating that you want to be a herald, generally
        > makes you a herald.
        >
        > Out last baronial herald found out his position via the Yahoo
        > group. Somehow he was named the barional herald simply because he
        > enjoy doing heraldry things.
        >
        > Sara L. / Gheile
        > "All truth passes through three stages:
        > First, it is ridiculed;
        > Second, it is violently opposed; and
        > Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
        > ~Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
        >
        > http://daeuse.wordpress.com/
        > http://www.facebook.com/daeuse
        > http://www.myspace.com/daeuse

      • Nicole E. Miller
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
          There are many levels and ranks of heralds. Being a titled herald (with a Capital "H") or part of the Kingdom College of heralds for example is a much bigger deal than being a local or at-large herald. We all start out with an interest in some aspect of heraldry and through work and studies can move up the ranks.

          Sian verch Gwilim
          Baronial herald
          ---- Judith Epstein <judith@...> wrote:

          =============
          Wow. That's very different from what I knew while attending my, oh,
          4-5 events during early/mid 90s in An Tir. Being a herald there was a
          huge deal; they only accepted a few who were already tried-and-proven
          long-time members of the SCA. I wonder, have the times changed, or is
          it just the area that's different?

          Judith / nobody here but us chickens

          On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Sara L wrote:

          > >>Posted by: "Judith Epstein" judith@... ipstenit
          > >>Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm (PDT)
          > >>How does one get to be a herald?
          >
          > It has been my experience that herals are ALWAYS in high demand and
          > need. By simply stating that you want to be a herald, generally
          > makes you a herald.
          >
          > Out last baronial herald found out his position via the Yahoo
          > group. Somehow he was named the barional herald simply because he
          > enjoy doing heraldry things.
          >
          > Sara L. / Gheile
          > "All truth passes through three stages:
          > First, it is ridiculed;
          > Second, it is violently opposed; and
          > Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
          > ~Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
          >
          > http://daeuse.wordpress.com/
          > http://www.facebook.com/daeuse
          > http://www.myspace.com/daeuse

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
            My Lady and I are having great fun as "free-Heralds" of Their Draconis Majesties Anglo Norman Isles.
            Making period Tabrds for free Heralds was a very interesting exercise - which took much longer than we had anticipated but were well-received by such of the Populace as were present when we gave them their first outing, to deliver messages from O'ersea unto Theri Draconisc majesties at Spring Crown Tourney.
             And the exercise of rendering the speech "foresoothly" was fun as well, - our copies of the Paston Letters, and the Plumpton Correspondance, got quite "dog-eared" when we did that research.
             YiS,
             Matthew Baker

            ---- Judith Epstein <judith@ipstenu. org> wrote:

            ============ =

            Wow. That's very different from what I knew while attending my, oh,

            4-5 events during early/mid 90s in An Tir. Being a herald there was a

            huge deal; they only accepted a few who were already tried-and-proven

            long-time members of the SCA. I wonder, have the times changed, or is

            it just the area that's different?

            Judith / nobody here but us chickens

            On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Sara L wrote:

            > >>Posted by: "Judith Epstein" judith@ipstenu. org ipstenit

            > >>Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm (PDT)

            > >>How does one get to be a herald?

            > It has been my experience that herals are ALWAYS in high demand and

            > need. By simply stating that you want to be a herald, generally

            > makes you a herald.

            > Out last baronial herald found out his position via the Yahoo

            > group. Somehow he was named the barional herald simply because he

            > enjoy doing heraldry things.

            > Sara L. / Gheile

            > "All truth passes through three stages:

            > First, it is ridiculed;

            > Second, it is violently opposed; and

            > Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

            > ~Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

            > http://daeuse. wordpress. com/

            > http://www.facebook .com/daeuse

            > http://www.myspace. com/daeuse

          • Traci Earhart
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
              Well I live in An Tir and have only been in the SCA for about a year.    My Husband joined with me and he has been doing heraldry for the last few months.  He went up to the heralds and indicated his interest and they have been very supportive.

              Lady Fortune verch Thomas,

              Wow. That's very different from what I knew while attending my, oh,
              4-5 events during early/mid 90s in An Tir. Being a herald there was a
              huge deal; they only accepted a few who were already tried-and-proven
              long-time members of the SCA. I wonder, have the times changed, or is
              it just the area that's different?

              Judith / nobody here but us chickens

              On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Sara L wrote:

              > >>Posted by: "Judith Epstein" judith@ipstenu. org ipstenit
              > >>Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:30 pm (PDT)
              > >>How does one get to be a herald?
              >
              > It has been my experience that herals are ALWAYS in high demand and
              > need. By simply stating that you want to be a herald, generally
              > makes you a herald.
              >
              > Out last baronial herald found out his position via the Yahoo
              > group. Somehow he was named the barional herald simply because he
              > enjoy doing heraldry things.
              >
              > Sara L. / Gheile
              > "All truth passes through three stages:
              > First, it is ridiculed;
              > Second, it is violently opposed; and
              > Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
              > ~Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
              >
              > http://daeuse. wordpress. com/
              > http://www.facebook .com/daeuse
              > http://www.myspace. com/daeuse

            • Judith Epstein
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 24, 2009
                I'm so glad to hear that. Definitely an improvement!

                On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Traci Earhart wrote:

                > Well I live in An Tir and have only been in the SCA for about a
                > year. My Husband joined with me and he has been doing heraldry
                > for the last few months. He went up to the heralds and indicated
                > his interest and they have been very supportive.
                >
                > Lady Fortune verch Thomas

              • DeAnna Ziots
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 22, 2010
                  Thank you all so much!!! There really isn't any "meetings" for new people, so I should just attend the populace meeting right?

                  DeAnna

                • jeffnaggie@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 22, 2010
                    Absolutely, as well as Arts and Sciences nights, dance practices or anything else that looks interesting. I promise people will be helpful and will point you in the right direction.

                    Hillary

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 22, 2010
                      Thanks again...you guys rock!!!!

                      DeAnna

                    • David Backlin
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 6 3:04 PM

                        >Any seller whose descriptions include Medieval and Renaissance for the
                        >same item is just plain bad. If they add Celtic, Renfair, SCA and LARP,
                        >they're far worse. I wouldn't put this company's wares on a dog even if
                        >I hated dogs.

                        Not to argue, but I would respectfully disagree. MANY sellers, perhaps, but
                        not ALL Sellers.
                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                          On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 04:27 -0700, Nicole Davis wrote:
                          > http://v.....

                          Spam link (redacted above). Do not follow.

                          I have placed the member account -- which has probably been compromised
                          by the recent phishing attack -- on "moderated" status until the problem
                          is resolved. I also deleted the original message with the full link, so
                          the spammers can't use our archives to spread their garbage.

                          Nicole, what probably happened is that you were tricked by a similar
                          link into entering your Yahoo password into a fake login page. This is
                          called "phishing". You will need to change your Yahoo password, and I
                          also recommend that you change the password on any other major sites
                          such as Facebook or Twitter where you use the same login name, as the
                          phishers are probably smart enough to try your credentials there as
                          well.

                          I will remind the list that Nicole is a victim, not a perpetrator here.
                          My moderation action is to protect the list from further spam posts, and
                          Nicole is not being penalized. Her account will be reactivated as soon
                          as the problem is resolved. In the meantime, she is welcome to post, but
                          the messages will require moderator approval. This is standard policy.

                          Kind regards,

                          fesswise reversed sable.

                          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                        • Bill Toscano
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                            Justin: Thanks!

                            That's a wonderful explanation.

                            Liam

                          • julian wilson
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                              Gentles of the List,
                              Matthewe Baker apologises to any of you who have lately received a phishing e-mail bearing his  e-mail address [forged].
                              I did not send it. And only my Son, - an expert in IT security for the local branch of a BIG foreign bank, - has access to my home-based computer. Even he, only has Dministrators access - he doesn't have my Yahoo.password, and I don't even have Microsoft Outlook installed in this machine.
                              My Avast anti-virus Programme swears I have no infected files, and no hacking attacks have been recorded by my System.
                              However my entire Address Book has been deleted,  - and someone is forging my e-mail address as an "originator".
                              So if you get something in your "Inbox" which seems to originate from me - but with a questionable "subject header" - or none at all save "Re: - " - just delete them without opening.
                              I don't know how long it's going to take me to establish a new e-mail identity with higher security than I have at the moment; - so if you get any more phishing e-mails apparently from me - I'm apologising to you all in advance!

                              Julain Wilson,
                               aka Matthewe Baker in the SCA.

                              On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 04:27 -0700, Nicole Davis wrote:

                              > http://v.....

                              Spam link (redacted above). Do not follow.

                              I have placed the member account -- which has probably been compromised

                              by the recent phishing attack -- on "moderated" status until the problem

                              is resolved. I also deleted the original message with the full link, so

                              the spammers can't use our archives to spread their garbage.

                              Nicole, what probably happened is that you were tricked by a similar

                              link into entering your Yahoo password into a fake login page. This is

                              called "phishing". You will need to change your Yahoo password, and I

                              also recommend that you change the password on any other major sites

                              such as Facebook or Twitter where you use the same login name, as the

                              phishers are probably smart enough to try your credentials there as

                              well.

                              I will remind the list that Nicole is a victim, not a perpetrator here.

                              My moderation action is to protect the list from further spam posts, and

                              Nicole is not being penalized. Her account will be reactivated as soon

                              as the problem is resolved. In the meantime, she is welcome to post, but

                              the messages will require moderator approval. This is standard policy.

                              Kind regards,

                              fesswise reversed sable.

                              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

                            • Nicole Davis
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                                Already was taken care of when i saw that yesterday morning. sorry that that
                                happened. I am pretty sure it is just a slow hacker.... I had one of my online
                                games hacked about a month ago and wondered if or if not he had gone after my
                                email.. guess he got that info... sad... So sorry again. I was on my way out the
                                door when i stopped to check my email.

                                ________________________________
                                On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 04:27 -0700, Nicole Davis wrote:
                                > http://v.....

                                Spam link (redacted above). Do not follow.

                                I have placed the member account -- which has probably been compromised
                                by the recent phishing attack -- on "moderated" status until the problem
                                is resolved. I also deleted the original message with the full link, so
                                the spammers can't use our archives to spread their garbage.

                                Nicole, what probably happened is that you were tricked by a similar
                                link into entering your Yahoo password into a fake login page. This is
                                called "phishing". You will need to change your Yahoo password, and I
                                also recommend that you change the password on any other major sites
                                such as Facebook or Twitter where you use the same login name, as the
                                phishers are probably smart enough to try your credentials there as
                                well.

                                I will remind the list that Nicole is a victim, not a perpetrator here.
                                My moderation action is to protect the list from further spam posts, and
                                Nicole is not being penalized. Her account will be reactivated as soon
                                as the problem is resolved. In the meantime, she is welcome to post, but
                                the messages will require moderator approval. This is standard policy.

                                Kind regards,

                                fesswise reversed sable.

                                justin@...://4th.com/sca/justin/

                              • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                                  On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 13:54 -0700, Nicole Davis wrote:
                                  > Already was taken care of when i saw that yesterday morning. sorry
                                  > that that
                                  > happened. I am pretty sure it is just a slow hacker.... I had one of
                                  > my online
                                  > games hacked about a month ago and wondered if or if not he had gone
                                  > after my
                                  > email.. guess he got that info... sad... So sorry again. I was on my
                                  > way out the
                                  > door when i stopped to check my email.

                                  No problem. I'll leave your account on "moderated" for a couple more
                                  days until we're really sure the problem is gone, but as you can see
                                  there is no problem getting your messages onto the list, as we have
                                  several co-moderators who can approve them.

                                  Kind regards,

                                  fesswise reversed sable.

                                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                                • Leah Clark
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 28, 2012
                                    I am trully sorry about the link have changed password my account had been hacked

                                    [[ MODERATOR redacted the spam link accidentally quoted from the original ]]
                                  • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 28, 2012
                                      On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 13:34 -0700, Leah Clark wrote:
                                      > I am trully sorry about the link have changed password my account had
                                      > been hacked
                                      >

                                      > [[ MODERATOR redacted the spam link accidentally quoted from the
                                      > original ]]

                                      Apology accepted, M'Lady, and as I said you're the victim here and not
                                      being blamed. :)

                                      That being said, I will note that it's my standard policy to leave an
                                      account on moderated-posting status for a few days even after the
                                      password is changed, just to be on the safe side.

                                      One small tip, to anyone discussing a spam link posted to the list like
                                      this. Be careful not to quote the bad link in the reply to the list, for
                                      that just propagates it further. :)

                                      Having dealt with this particular mode of attack for almost two years
                                      now, on a dozen or more lists that I maintain, I believe that there is a
                                      special, very unpleasant, place on the deepest plane of the Abyss
                                      reserved for the people who perpetrate these account compromises.