Re: [SCA Newcomers] Another question

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 24, 2009
      Quoth Judith Epstein:
      > I thought all the heralds did both. I'm interested in both.

      A lot of heralds start off doing both, but find they gravitate
      more towards one particular area. I tend to not do the field
      heraldry so much, because I've never been a fan of going to a
      place, shouting something, and having everyone stop what they're
      doing and turn and look at me. Not exactly stage fright, but
      there's usually enough other people around, with much more
      competent lungs than mine too!, that I don't worry too much about
      not doing much field heraldry.

      -Aryanhwy, definitely a book herald.

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 24, 2009
        Kristen asked:

        <<< I attended our Baronial buisness meeting the other night and was
        asked to take the Deputy Minister of Children, and also the Constables
        position. I'd like to do them both, but here is my question. Can I
        do both jobs? >>>

        There are several parts to the answer to your question. Some folks
        have already touched on one of these, but let me expand on that and be
        more general on the offices.

        The first part is, is it legal by SCA rules to hold two offices? As
        others have pointed out, this depends upon the two offices involved
        and perhaps the rules of your particular kingdom. There are specific
        offices that can not be held by the same person or even closely
        related persons because there various financial checks and balances
        and this sidesteps some of them. That is not a concern with these two
        offices.

        The second part is, even if you can legally hold the two offices, can
        you do a good job at both together? Each office takes time to do and
        this doubles the amount of time needed. Some offices only need blocks
        of time occasionally and they don't overlap with each other. For
        instance, I imagine that a Constable is mostly active at events, so it
        would mesh well with something like editor, where most effort is put
        in outside of events. I would think that a Constable might spend a
        fair amount of time patrolling an event site or at least being on call
        in case an emergency comes up.

        The Minister of Children is usually only needed during the few hours
        of an event that involves children's activities. However, the rules
        now say that two non-related adults must be present at all children's
        activities. So what happens if you are helping to run or are running
        children's activities and as Constable you are called away to handle
        an emergency of some kind? Perhaps having another Deputy Minister of
        Children or having a Deputy Constable that can take over for you when
        needed would solve this. Something to keep in mind, though.

        So, with any two offices, consider the responsibilities involved, talk
        with those who would be your superior and your seneschal and try to
        make sure you can handle both offices and that they are happy with
        this before taking them on.

        Stefan
        --------
      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 25, 2009
          Thank you for expanding on the subject, you have clarified for me other thoughts and questions that have been running through my head.  It's a lot to handle, so I am looking for help.  One of my friends called me the other day and asked me if I would like her to help with the childrens activites, she's going to call me back Monday and we're going to talk more about it then.  I'm excited and a little nervous about taking on all of this responsibility.  Thank you so much for your advice, and for answering my question.

          Thank you,
          Kristen

[...]

          Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@ austin.rr. com
          **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florileg ium.org ****

        • Kristen Praiswater
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 25, 2009
            Thank you, everyone here is so helpful and gives such good advice.

            Kristen

            From: spellsinger28@...
            Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:06:38 +0000
            Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Another question

            I attended our Baronial buisness meeting the other night and was asked to take the Deputy Minister of Children, and also the Constables position. I'd like to do them both, but here is my question. Can I do both jobs?

            Thanks for the Help,
            Kristen