Re: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

  • Tonya
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2009
      You might want to try Jan Tana tanning products. Its what bodybuilders use to get a deep dark tan for competions. I've heard it stains the skin and takes days to come off completely but will bleed off some on clothes but might work to get u through a weekend event. There website is www.jantana.com

      Maerwynn

      From: Judith Epstein <judith@...>

      Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:52:10
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>; <sca-middle@...>; <SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Dark skin dye?

      I'm pasty-pale, and I want my persona to be quite dark. I know it's
      okay to be pale even when one has a pale persona, but I LIKE darker
      skin, and would love to have it, even if for only a few days out of
      the year. I'm very pale, freckled, red-haired (or, ahem, I was a
      redhead before it all started turning darker and then white), and I'm
      going for... well, as dark as I can get, anything from deep black like
      a Nubian to a cinnamon brown like an Indian or dark Arab. I can't be
      the only person who's tried this, but I hope someone out there has
      been more successful than I have! Here's what I've tried without
      success, and why it doesn't work for me:

      1. Henna. Turns me orange, not brown.

      2. Make-up/cosmetics. Washes right off, especially my hands, which I
      wash often for hygiene. Also, it smears onto my clothes.

      3. Walnut hull. It goes on dark, changes my hair color and any cloth
      it touches, but then washes right off my skin as if it were never
      there. Sad, because this was my best bet so far.

      4. The solution from "Black Like Me," tanning pills plus an injection
      of a certain chemical. I've spoken to my doctor about this. It works
      by damaging the skin cells and making them extremely sun-sensitive,
      which I don't need; it puts a person at a higher risk of skin cancer,
      which I also don't need because it already runs in my family; and it's
      expensive.

      5. Tanning pills. Either they don't work, or they turn the skin orange
      like henna.

      6. Self-tanning lotions. I've only tried a handful of these, but so
      far, they've all turned me orange instead of brown.

      Any thoughts? Ideally I'd only have to apply it once (or daily over a
      period of a few days) in order for it to last at least the duration of
      a weekend-long event, complete with showering and lots of hand
      washing. Even better if it would last for the duration of, say,
      Pennsic (I can't go this year, but I'm hoping for next year).

      -- Judith / Divash

    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
        "Callahan Patrick" callahanpatrick@... naspiritwalker@...
        asked:

        <<< I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at
        least as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to
        primarily appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I
        understand that this could be interpreted as a natural out growth of
        The Society For Professional Anachronism's mission to study and learn
        about certain aspects of European History, however if it would be
        possible I would be very interested in knowing to what extent if any
        other races participate in your games of skill and more generally in
        the context of your events. Do you believe that people of these other
        races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
        Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel
        welcome in your groups? Does anyone have information on this? >>>

        In some ways this sounds like a troll trying to stir up confrontation,
        which I've seen through the years on the Rialto (rec.org.sca).
        However, I will assume you are not doing this and will try to answer
        your questions.

        Likely, the SCA appeals mostly to those of white, European and Middle
        Eastern descent because those are the areas that the SCA concentrates
        on. However, skin color means little in the Society. I've seen plenty
        of red-haired blue-eyed Japanese personas and blond Italians. Frankly,
        most of the people in the SCA tend to be on the more liberal side,
        especially with freedom of action and personal choice. Skin color
        makes little difference and it is also very tolerant of non-mainstream
        religions.

        As an example, one of the most popular kings we've had in Ansteorra
        was Mahti, who happens to be a fairly dark-skinned black man. While it
        is possible to win the kingship on brute strength alone, it tends to
        require more and it definitely requires more to be known as a good
        monarch and a chivalrous fighter who people are happy to see win.

        I am in the same barony as Coblaith, but lest you think we are too
        small a sample size, there are these files in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY
        section of the Florilegium. They give a cross-section of viewpoints
        from other regions across the Known World.

        SCA-gays-msg (16K) 9/17/98 Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in
        the SCA.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-gays-msg.html

        SCA-minorites-msg (7K) 10/31/00 Attitudes in the SCA toward
        minorities.
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-minorties-msg.html

        Stefan
        --------
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
          In a message dated 7/15/2009 11:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          callahanpatrick@... writes:

          <<I have noticed that in The Society For Professional Anachronism at least
          as far as the United States of America is concerned seems to primarily
          appeal to people of the white or paler complexion. I understand that this could
          be interpreted as a natural out growth of The Society For Professional
          Anachronism's mission to study and learn about certain aspects of European
          History, however if it would be possible I would be very interested in knowing
          to what extent if any other races participate in your games of skill and
          more generally in the context of your events. Do you believe that people of
          these other races generally treated well and excepted in The Society For
          Professional Anachronism. Would my friends of darker complexion feel welcome
          in your groups? Does anyone have information on this?>>

          From what I've seen in 20 years, I don't think it makes much difference to
          most people in the SCA what anybody looks like. My local group is, yes,
          primarily Caucasian and has been for 20 years, although we have had several
          Hispanic members including one currently. Certainly none of us could care
          less what a person's ethnicity is.
          In thinking back over people I've met in 20 years, I can think of a number
          of black and Asian members that I've seen, and oddly enough, most of the
          ones I think of hold high rank in the SCA. Duchess Isabella of York, not
          only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a black
          woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to as "The Black
          Knight of the East". Mistress Dorigen, a Laurel. Another lady whose name
          I am not sure of, who is a Pelican. Count Jafar of the Midrealm, may he
          rest in peace. There are more beyond that. (Laurels are recognized
          Society-wide for their skill in the arts, Pelicans for their service, and Knight
          for prowess in heavy weapons combat. Duchess and Count and similar titles
          denote those who have served as King and Queen.)

          For what it's worth, there's little if any prejudice towards anyone with a
          handicap, either. I've known a number of people with physical disabilities
          who have participated fully in the SCA, including a knight who is an
          amputee (and he joined the SCA after he lost the leg and was knighted for
          fighting prowess, fighting on one leg and a crutch), people with hearing or
          vision loss, and people with a variety of neurologic disabilities such as
          cerebral palsy and spina bifida.

          Lancaster PA

          **************S T R E T C H your technology dollars with great laptop
          deals from Dell!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223081712x1201714210/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2
          D5)
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
            On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:15 +0000, Ziddinaaitzumar@... wrote:
            > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
            > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
            > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
            > behavior of that one woman...

            That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
            are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
            earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
            others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
            their time to help others learn.

            I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
            Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
            bad.

            In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
            With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
            happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
            with the other 98%. :-)

            Kind regards,

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
              On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 07:48 -0400, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
              > Duchess Isabella of York, not
              > only a royal peer but also a Laurel (for Elizabethan costuming) is a
              > black woman married to a white man. Sir Diablu, commonly referred to
              > as "The Black Knight of the East".

              Sir Diablu is a truly wonderful human being! I have known him for years.
              He was also married to a white woman, Dame Anna Herold von Ossenheim,
              who regrettably passed away a couple of years ago. She was a dear
              friend, and a colleague in the Chirurgeonate.

            • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                Alas, it was losing my little 'tykes' to such vicious cruelty - I TRUSTED those people with something very precious to me, they were LIVING THINGS that should not have been so cruelly allowed to die of thirst and starvation...

                That hurt way more than the behavior of that laurel...  (tho, her laurel buddies tended to use only a very few books to declare what THEY thought 'period' should be.  That was another 'turn-off'.)

                I also adopted a stray cat - rescued it - at the urging of another SCA woman in this area - even tho I'd just rescued one from my own street and found a home for it - at my own expense.

                When I got that poor little black cat, she was almost dead of starvation.  It didn't dawn on me at the time, but why wasn't that SCA woman who TOLD me about the cat, FEEDING it, even if she couldn't ADOPT it because of the apartment complex rules???  Instead she dumped the whole thing in my lap - and I live 15 miles away from her apartment complex!

                Sorry.  Too much whining.  But that sort of behavior towards something helpless and innocent - just boggles my mind....

                Oversharing??  Ziddina

                > I suspect that, as with any organization spread out around the world,
                > there will be pockets of bigotry and prejudice. Personally, I've been
                > prejudiced against LAURELS - of any and all colors - thanks to the
                > behavior of that one woman...

                That's unfortunate, and I urge you to reconsider. Percentage-wise, there
                are many more Laurels who are helpful and courteous. Many people who
                earn that title did so largely because of their enthusiasm for teaching
                others, and they give freely hundreds or even thousands of hours of
                their time to help others learn.

                I, too, have encountered "bad peers" of all three Orders (Laurel,
                Pelican, and Knight). But I have encountered a lot more good ones than
                bad.

                In my experience, the SCA is full of 98% wonderful people, and 2% jerks.
                With 30,000 members, that means there are 600 jerks. A few of them
                happen to have peerages or crowns. Ignore or avoid the 2%, and have fun
                with the other 98%. :-)

                Kind regards,

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

              • Shere'e
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                  As an apartment manager I can tell you a POSSIBLE reason. In our house
                  rules (and many others) it clearly states that feeding strays or birds is
                  considered "keeping a pet without permission" and is a major lease
                  violation.

                  It may seem cruel but here is a very good reason for this. Folks will feed
                  strays which in turn attracts more strays and urban wildlife (skunks,
                  possums, rats, mice, ect). Next thing you know you have a huge problem with
                  them and all it takes is for one little kid to try petting the feral kitty,
                  get bit and mom sues the apartment for allowing feral animals to congrigate
                  on the property. In the meantime, Junior has to go in for a very painful set
                  of Rabies shots because he THINKS it was a tabby kitty, No wait, it was a
                  black kitty, no it was a white kitty. Maybe it was a skunk?

                  In case you think I am anti-animal I am not, we have 5 cats, all of which
                  are rescues. Nor is my complex. Animals are more than welcome. I think about
                  40% of my tenants have animals of some sort and our rules are set up to
                  encourage people to have a pet. We will even allow payments on the pet
                  deposit as low as $10 a month and do not charge a "pet rent" which some
                  places do.

                  I agree with Justin that just because someone has an award does not mean
                  that they are a perfect person. Look at the BOD meeting minutes. You will
                  see that some of the people who are banished have titles and awards. You are
                  dealing with PEOPLE and they are as good and as bad as any other group.

                  Lady Miranda

                  www.webeweddings.com
                  Unique Weddings for Unique Couples

                  (SNIPPING FOR LENGTH)

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 16, 2009
                    Not to keep going on this subject, 'cause it is so painful and probably brings up painful memories for other people, but - the woman had a pet dog in her apartment and CLAIMED to like animals...

                    It was only later that she blurted out - in front of four other SCA'ers - that she'd been RAT FINKING on OTHERS who had pets - and pets were allowed, if one paid a small fee - within the apartment complex.  Her speech went something like, "Oh, there are all these stray cats around our apartment complex; 'course, I tell the management when someone has a pet and shouldn't have - oh, maybe I'm responsible for all those cats running around the apartment complex!"  She said it with the most disgusting "Oh, My? What have I done?" cutesy-pie expression in her voice...

                    I absolutely dropped her like a millstone [we had previously been 'friends'] at that instant.  Vicious, bizarre, and MENTal...

                    And now you know the rest of the story.  By the way, I assume that there are rescue organizations that you might be able to call - as well as the local Humane Society and in worse-case scenarios the local Animal Control people - to assist with the pet overpopulations situation???  If people would only have their animals spayed/neutered...  So sad.  Ziddina