Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Help! Help! How do various Kingdoms handle "Land" disputes???

  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2009
      Way cool!  Thanks for that information!  Would you consider passing on the name of the person you contacted - or SCA Corpora bylaw - or whatever SCA Corporate referenced - so I can pass it on to those who wish to play with - and be officers in - a different Barony than that [Canton] which they are located in??

      By the way, you controlled yourself quite well.  It sounds like you had a beast of a time with that initial group - sounds like some of the [mis]adventures I've had with various members, myself...

      Some of the stories I could tell would curl your hair - a Laurel trying to snatch my hat off my head at a 12th Night celebration without so much as a 'by your leave' because she wanted to get a closer look at it...  And then the others in the Barony [same Barony that's trying to obtain this zip code as their territory] tried to convince me that it was a COMPLIMENT that she behaved so boorishly towards me!!

      A 'knight', his 'lady', and their son who I PAID to take care of my little hamsters for two weeks while I was on vacation - supplied them with EVERYTHING they needed to properly take care of my little tykes...

      Only to return to find that NO-ONE in that monstrous threesome had bothered to FEED OR WATER MY BABIES FOR TWO SOLID WEEKS!!!  [Two of the three died horrible, lingering deaths as a direct result!!]

      And then, to have one of their idiot buddies within the Barony cluck at me in self-righteous loyalty as to what great friends she was with them - without even hearing my side of the story!!  I hope she leaves her beloved little dogs with them for two weeks, if she thinks they're so blasted trustworthy...

      Like I said before, Yeeeesh!  I am so TOTALLY inactive right now, although still a paying member, as a result of this sort of viciousness, stupidity, and sheer brain-dead nastiness!!  Don't know whether I'll ever get over it...

      Thanks for listening.  Ziddina

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2009
        On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 06:58 +0000, Ziddinaaitzumar@... wrote:
        > Way cool! Thanks for that information! Would you consider passing on
        > the name of the person you contacted - or SCA Corpora bylaw - or
        > whatever SCA Corporate referenced - so I can pass it on to those who
        > wish to play with - and be officers in - a different Barony than that
        > [Canton] which they are located in??

        A good and fair question for all of us giving advice on this matter.
        Here are the relevant citations from Corpora for the advice I gave
        earlier:

        >From the SCA Governing Documents, a PDF file located at:
        http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf

        II.B. Requirements for Participants at Society events

        Anyone may attend Society events provided he or she wears an attempt at
        pre-17th century clothing, conforms to the provisions in Corpora, and
        complies with any other requirements (such as site fees or waivers)
        which may be imposed. At business meetings and informal classes, the
        requirement to wear pre-17th century dress may be waived. All
        participants are expected to behave as ladies or gentlemen.

        and from the SCA Bylaws (an appendix to the same PDF document):

        V.2.a. Eligibility for Office.

        Officers at all levels of the SCA must be members and must have
        immediate access to the corporate newsletter for their area provided by
        a subscribing membership at their residence. (Alternate access
        arrangements may be made on a case-by-case basis for people with post
        office boxes and for International Members.) This standard also applies
        to deputies designated as successors to officers subject to this
        provision, or assigned independent administrative duties. Deputies who
        only assist with specific tasks are exempt from the newsletter access
        requirement.

        Do bear in mind that your Kingdom may have Kingdom Laws that impose
        stricter requirements. You should research that as well before pursuing
        this further. :-)

        Kind regards,

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • svanarose
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2009
          Thank you Justin. I like very much what you put out to SCA newcomers. Besides my own experiences which nearly pushed me away from the SCA a few times, I have run into many who have had bad info given them. So my goal as a newcomer is to help other newcomers gain correct info so that they may enjoy the SCA and not run. There are individuals and groups imposing their ideas, desires, wants and control. Fortunately i have come to know others that have helped dispell false info and guide me to seek further knowledge.

          AND IM LOVING IT. Im enjoying events, kingdom and SCA. Loving my garb, loving feasts, loving the camping and loving the friends i make across the country. Dont give up if this is something you know in your heart you want in your life.

          I believe i posted this here once before, but my first and foremost advice to all newcomers is.......if you are being stressed by others that "you have to" , "you must" , or "you cant" ,...take the time to research and make contact with SCA headquarters. From there, your specific kingdom.